Load DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Wideners
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Well I bought it.

Well I bought it.

I broke down and purchased that Smith & Wesson model 60-4 with a 3" barrel I was looking at.
    It was out of state, so it took a week to get it in my hands permanently.
    I took it to the range for a workout today.
    This gun shoots well. Nearly as good as my K38 which really surprised me. Easy to control and easy to pick up the sights. It has that great Smith & Wesson trigger that always seems to work well. Recoil was only slightly more than with my K38.
    I ran 100 rounds through it and there were no problems with function at any time. 50 of those were fired double action. There were no misfires. I need to work on my double action squeeze a bit.
    I shot full power wadcutters, full power semiwadcutters, and full power rf style boolits through it.
    All shot to the same impact point or so close as to not matter.
    I was getting 2-2.5" groups with all the mentioned ammo at 10 yards. More than good enough to take care of potential problems.
    Attachment 140194Attachment 140195
    The only possible issue I can see is that the cylinder throats are extremely tight. They are sizing down my .358 boolits to .357 or .356. I haven't gotten them slugged yet.
    I did slug the barrel and it is even smaller than the throats. Drops right through. The largest measurement I could get on the slug was .355. The throats are larger than the barrel, so there was no issue with leading.
    Since the gun is so accurate, I hesitate to do anything to the cylinder. It is unlikely to matter at the ranges this gun will be used.
    Now all I need to do is work out my carry method and I am good to go.

Banned

I wouldn't sweat it, 357/6 to 355 is just fine with me.
    the accuracy your getting is telling you everything is just fine.

Love Life
    Quote Originally Posted by runfiverun View Post
    I wouldn't sweat it, 357/6 to 355 is just fine with me.
    the accuracy your getting is telling you everything is just fine.

^ This.

Boolit Master

Nice heater Tazman.

Boolit Master
    Congrats on your new toy.

Bet you come to enjoy it very very much.

- Bullwolf

Boolit Grand Master
    I learned a long time ago that if it works, don't fix it.

I think a three inch J Frame with adjustable sights makes a very good "Just in case" gun.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I've always wanted one of those. I have never seen one in person, only pics. It should balance well with the full underlug on the 3" barrel. Congrats!

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Congrats on your new baby! Nice looking! I have a Model 36 in 3" and I love it . . . a 3" in a J frame is just plain fun. If I had not found my 36, I would have picked up a 60 had I run across one in good shape. A great little hand gun!

Sounds like it is working well for you. I agree with the others as far as the cylinder throats, etc. go - if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Sounds like it shoots well as it is. Now you have the fun of getting more acquainted with it and playing with loads. You will love it . . . have fun and enjoy!

Boolit Master

Great looking revolver! As long as the cylinder throats are larger than the groove diameter you should be good to go.

Ken

Boolit Grand Master

Tazman;
    I bought one of those when they first hit the market. An author in Gun Digest had custom built a similar piece. I was seriously considering doing the same but the cost of the custom was off putting. About that time, my 60-4 hit the market.

I wanted to use mine as a field pistol. However, my thinking was I wanted a 4" barrel for more precise shooting (edible small game was my target). I guess you could say the shorter barrel gave me some concerns. At any rate, I brought the piece home, took it to the range and BOY was I pleasantly surprised! I shot several targets at 25 yards (timed fire target) that averaged 96x100 shooting standing. I wouldn't have believed it. I have a 4" barreled Model 631 and the 60-4 allows me to score significantly better even with it's shorter barrel. That double underlugged barrel just simply holds better with it's "weight forward design".

I use a full charge dbl. ended wadcutter for field use and am impressed with the "smack" that load delivers. I have used that load on cottontail rabbits, snowshoe rabbits, and grouse and ground squirrels (don't eat the ground squirrels). The family always enjoyed not having to pick shot out of their teeth and lOVED my revolver shot edible small game. It carries so well in a variety of holsters that you almost don't know you're carrying.

Mine will be with me until I'm gone. THAT'S how much I appreciate it's qualities.

Hopefully, you will have the same results!

Dale53

Boolit Master

That was a good choice Tazman. I have a virtual duplicate to your new revolver, but in 357 calibre and I find it an easy revolver to carry and use. Like yours, my 3" Model 60 shoots about as well or better than most of my K Frames. My first 3" J Frame was a Model 36 heavy barrel with fixed sights that I bought for LE use. While I liked it, this model is, for me at least, a more useful design.

One thing that I like about these revolvers is their ability to use all sorts of ammo from shot loads to heavy jacketed rounds and about everything in between. In the summer I still opt for my 2" Model 60, but when in the field out hiking or hunting or when wearing a jacket in cooler weather, the 3" is what I usually take.

A good friend of mine, a saddle maker in Delta, Colorado, just made me this nice in-the-pants holster while visiting earlier this year.
    Last edited by Scharfschuetze; 05-23-2015 at 02:10 PM.
    Keep your powder dry,

Scharf

Boolit Grand Master
    Back in October of last year I was given the opportunity to acquire a NIB example of the 60-4 in a "friends and family" type situation. It took me very little thought to decide that I couldn't afford to say no, and of course it didn't take very long before it ceased to be "NIB". I like 158 gr LSWCs loaded to standard velocities as well as HBWCs over "cast sneeze" loads. BTW, I was not satisfied with the rubber grips, so now it has a pair of semi-custom SFG Combats in ebony. It's in heavy rotation as a CCW now and I love it.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy Low Budget Shooter's Avatar
    To expound on what the experienced guys said above: If your throats are about .001-.002 smaller than your bullets, and your barrel is .001-.002 smaller than that, you are golden, as your accurate results demonstrate. Congrats!
    I'm not sure where all the money is that I've "saved" by casting and reloading!