Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: Accuracy of NOE 225 45Gr. WFN in .22 Horent??

Boolit Buddy

Accuracy of NOE 225 45Gr. WFN in .22 Horent??

Please advise the accuracy your getting using the above NOE bullet in .22 Hornet?
    Thanks!
    Jim

I found much better accuracy with the NOE 226-45 (BRP) than the 225-45WFN. Not sure why but I could not get that one to shoot well. I have six hornets/k hornets and all shoot the 226-45 BRP clone. IMR 4227 in the hornets and Lilgun in the K hornets. Small pistol primers, doesn't matter what flavor. The same guns did not like the NOE's version of the 225107 either. Yet, Vopies 218 bee just loves that little 37 grain boolit. Accuracy, golf balls at 150, frogs at 75yds, moth head at 75 Yds. Yup, I'm getting all the accuracy I need. Could not get that with the WFN version.

Banned

I ordered mine with all plain based cavities and with the very light loads I use, it shoots as well as I can at 25 yards, easily squirrel head accurate. I hunt with it in a Savage 219 instead of a .22 LR now.

One note, it really doesn't wnat to feed through my bolt action. Shoots well if I single load it, though.

I've had excellent accuracy with the NOE .225-45-WFN in my Ruger No.1B .22 Hornet. I get 5 shot averages under 1.25 MOA at 100 yds and just under half inch groups at 50 yds. My son has commandeered the rifle for much of the small game season and the hits I have been privy to view on squirrel and grouse ended the matter tout de suite. The load used is as follows:
    46gr NOE .225-45-WFN(Plainbase)
    2.82gr Hercules Red Dot
    Winchester Small Pistol Primer
    Case Length: 1.393 inch
    OAL: 1.645 inch
    Alloy: ACWW sized .225 inch
    Lube: Jojoba Felix
    Lee Collet neck-sized, Lyman M-die expand and seated in an RCBS Competition Seater.
    I've no real idea of velocity as my chronograph had prior too this taken some schrapnel from a sky screen strike. The only thing I've since changed is the lube has been changed to Speed Green to lessen cold bore flyers. I'm hearing less complaints of first shot misses so this appears to have worked well enough. If it didn't I was prepared to use the Lee Factory Crimp die which in past experience also mitigates the effect of first shot cold bore flyers from point of aim. Don't ask me how cause I don't yet have a theory. It just seems to work in that way.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by BustemAgain View Post
    I've had excellent accuracy with the NOE .225-45-WFN in my Ruger No.1B .22 Hornet. I get 5 shot averages under 1.25 MOA at 100 yds and just under half inch groups at 50 yds. My son has commandeered the rifle for much of the small game season and the hits I have been privy to view on squirrel and grouse ended the matter tout de suite. The load used is as follows:
    46gr NOE .225-45-WFN(Plainbase)
    2.82gr Hercules Red Dot
    Winchester Small Pistol Primer
    Case Length: 1.393 inch
    OAL: 1.645 inch
    Alloy: ACWW sized .225 inch
    Lube: Jojoba Felix
    Lee Collet neck-sized, Lyman M-die expand and seated in an RCBS Competition Seater.
    I've no real idea of velocity as my chronograph had prior too this taken some schrapnel from a sky screen strike. The only thing I've since changed is the lube has been changed to Speed Green to lessen cold bore flyers. I'm hearing less complaints of first shot misses so this appears to have worked well enough. If it didn't I was prepared to use the Lee Factory Crimp die which in past experience also mitigates the effect of first shot cold bore flyers from point of aim. Don't ask me how cause I don't yet have a theory. It just seems to work in that way.
    I'm glad you mentioned what Dies you are using.
    I like Lee dies and generally that's what I use with reasonable success...BUT not so with this WIDE Flat nose NOE boolit. My standard 22 hornet Lee Seater die gave me incredibly bad runout with this boolit. After conferring with some of our experts here, I've stepped up to the Forster BenchRest seater for my Hornet and a couple of other rifle calibers.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Banned

I haven't had any Red Dot for a long time, but liked it a lot in several pistol applications. I think I need to get some more.

One of teh reasons I use Bullseye is my Lyman 55 thorws those very small charges consistently with it. How are you measuring those small charges of Red Dot?

I use an RCBS Uniflow with the small micrometer barrel. Red Dot, well let's just say Red Dot has really grown on me. I came into a deal some years ago for couple kegs of it from an older hunting buddy. I really didn't think I had much use for it but he really wanted me to have it. Eventually I tried it with Ed Harris's "The Load" and was fairly well stunned at the accuracy, standard deviation and the over all utility of it. I have tried it in many other applications and can since say that I think it one my favorite powders. I have never experienced any of the problems people say they have with it. It measures well in the equipment I have and burns clean as anything else I use. I like the bulk of it too. I find it especially hard to beat in non magnum handgun cartridges. It may not always be the most accurate loading but if it is not it usually is the second most accurate. I find its utility hard to ignore and have pretty much stopped trying to not like it. By the way I want to say I got the idea for trying it the Hornet from Bullshop many years ago it in an excellent treatise he gave us here on getting cast bullet accuracy from the .22 Hornet.
    Last edited by BustemAgain; 11-28-2015 at 02:10 AM.

Banned

I used a whole lot of Red Dot in .45 Colt years ago, seems 6.5 grains was a nice load behind just about any bullet. I loaded some in cast bullet rifles cartridges too, just can't remember what exactly. Looks like I'm going to have to find some and give it another go.

Banned

Took my Savage 219 out and shot it this afternoon with this bullet, as I remembered, pretty much one ragged hole at 50 yards. Went out in the woods on my place this evening the last hour of daylight and saw three, missed one and killed two, both these were head shots, but on others I've used this on it kills very quickly with minimal meat damage.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Savage 219 squirrels.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	11.2 KB 
ID:	159054