MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I am gonna go snarl at USPS

I am gonna go snarl at USPS

Let me start by saying I have generally been pleased with the USPS service. The people that are at the office I usually use to ship have all been great until TODAY.

Lady behind the counter refused to accept a SFRB because it "had tape all over it". Stated you were only allowed to use "one strip of tape on the flap". I told her I would be back when I had more time. Since then I have printed the USPS directions for Preparing Packages. Highlighting the part that says to "tape the opening of your box and all seams with 2 inch wide tape". And the one specifically for Priority Mail that that "Tape may be applied to the flaps and seams" Provided the container still folds at the same place and has not been enlarged.

I told her she was incorrect but that I would have to come back as I was on a tight schedule. She sought confirmation from one of the other counter people who has handled many of my packages, he simply said he would have to look it up to confirm that one strip on the flap was a rule.

I always use fibered strapping tape on all edges, and clear tape over the address label. Clear tape across the bottom too come to think of it. I think this particular lady is still annoyed over the 55# MFRB I slid across to her last week. Even though the male employee who has done lots of my boxes came and took the box for her.

I think she just is annoyed at the high weights allowed and trying to discourage continued use. Good luck with that, my wife tells me all the time not to be so stubborn and ornery, but she will also admit I am pretty darn good at just that when I get going. Might be from practice, might be by nature but....

I have bad news for the mail lady. I have been swapping with another member, he built a wood box that just slips inside a MFRB to hold what he sent me, I'm sending the material I owe him back in that same wood crate inside a MFRB. I owe him 50# I already used a few extra ingots as "packing material" guess I'll go home and add a couple more bars and make sure I get the same lady at the counter tomorrow. Pretty sure with crate liner I'm already in the 60 lb. range. That and a copy of the USPS directions on package preparation should settle this once and for all.

Don't like being fed BS and told it's greens and cornbread like I'm too stupid to figure out the difference. I love Google it allows me to print the difference for the people trying to do the feeding.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

In Remembrance
    What have you got against greens and cornbread????

Boolit Master

The blood thinners I am on don't let me eat as much as iI would like to.Too much vitiam k
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Banned

I thought if it fit's it ships was the mantra there.

I doubt the tape rule is valid, I for sure use more money in tape than the box is worth.
    and it's not just a single wrap,,,,, its WRAPPED.
    this way and that way and around and around.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    What have you got against greens and cornbread????
    Nothing! Just don't like some official trying to pass their BS off as if it was something good like greens and cornbread. Have pitched manure, have had greens and cornbread, darn sure I can tell the difference.

Bummer w5pv - I hope there is still room for a bit of greens from time to time. Ability to appreciate some simple pleasures is best realized by those that have to do without or ration them. I guess the rest of us would do well to take that as a reminder to count our blessings.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Boolit Master

I have actually used the online comment/complaint deal. Got some dirty looks after that but no more problems.
    On the flip, I sed the online deal to compliment one of 'em that done me good once.

The official USPS web site has this information.

See Sealing in this page.
    http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm100/preparing-packages.htm

See Notes at the bottom of this page.
    http://pe.usps.com/text/dmm100/flat-rate-reference.htm

The only thing one can't do is "stretch" the box by using only half the sealing flap so that the top or the sides are bowed out. Box MUST be folded at the original fold lines.
    If a square box of lead is going to be smashed into a round or distorted shape they want to be the ones to do it. You can't bring it in that way.

I'm of the same mind as runfiverrun. I tape it all, then it does not matter so much if they drop the box, if the tape holds the contents stay inside. There is also the theory that if the cardboard is 100% covered with tape then they never really get to touch it, if they don't ever touch it they can't mess it up. Can't break what you don't touch right?

I'm taking copies of those pages I posted links to with me when I take in my shipment tomorrow. Hopefully same woman will be at the counter. If not her manager can enlighten her on the issue.

bhn22
    To paraphrase Lily Tomlin, "We don't care, we don't have to. We're the Post Office".

Just can't imagine what kinda person would give a flip about extra tape!?

Boolit Master

I once had a package not delivered by USPS and when I tracked it it said the gate was locked. I don't have a gate. On anouther note my wife makes killer poke greens and Mexican cornbread.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    Get 'er Roger, she works for US!
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Grand Master

I got that tape line from a postal clerk one time but it was a big envelope full of tax documents going to my accountant. I ship heavy stuff all over the country on UPS, FEDEX et al and trust me; a good tape job makes a huge difference.
    Endowment Life Member NRA, Life Member TSRA, Member WACA, NRA Whittington Center, BBHC
    Smokeless powder is a passing fad! -Steve Garbe
    I hate rude behavior in a man. I won't tolerate it. -Woodrow F. Call, Lonesome Dove
    Some of my favorite recipes start out with a handful of depleted counterbalance devices.

Boolit Master

I reused a MFRB that I had received something in. The postmaster refused to accept the package because the box had "167" written on the end. The 167 was my former box number.
    I had to get a new MFRB and repackage the item.

The tape was not the issue with the postal employee. She probably resented the fact the box was too heavy and did not want to handle it and used the tape issue as an excuse to not handle the box. I have been making hunting knives for about 8 years and use postal small flat rate box to ship over 150 knives. I tape all seams and edges and have never been refused by a postal employee. I have had great postal employees give me great service, and a few times I have gotten a lazy employee that acts like you just interfered with their lunch time when waiting on you. They want their paycheck, but would prefer not to have to work for it.

I can't complain about my post office, I've seen the employees tape up items for a lot of folks. They don't put much more than needed, but they do their job with a smile on.

Boolit Master
    I hae 3 post offices here, two I won't go to. The third, the three people that man it are great. That being said, I sent a package from here to Montana for one of the members. It got caught in some kind of a loop, and went from des moines to Hazelwood to des moines to Hazelwood, you get the drift. I had to call the tracking people, and they returned my call from the end location, this poor woman had never seen the package, and was suposed to fix tghe problem.........stupid government organizations,
    The rules of the range are simple at best, Should you venture in that habitat, Don't cuss a man's dog, be good to the cook, And don't mess with a cowboy's hat. ~ Baxter Black

Boolit Master
    My post office is pretty good with med flat rate boxes with 60lbs of WW's. I once had a box break open due to poor taping. They taped it up, than two weeks later I got a single wheel weight in my box and a note from them saying they found it in the post office.

Boolit Master

have you complimented her lately? nice hair, nice this blah blah?

equal op.......

Boolit Buddy
    It it is taped per regulations plan on some extea time to spend there and ask to see the supervisor. If she is working just wait for her and let other people go ahead until she is finished with the customer.
    City Carrier 34 years RETIRED now
    Dan

I once pulled a truck up in front of a construction site we had to unload at. Was raining hard and the site was pretty muddy. My helper "Newman" asked are we going to go out in that rain and unload without a sidewalk? I said yep, that's the job. Helper said well the job stinks (or something along those lines) I said well you took the job now all that is left is to get out there and do it (or something along those lines).

I had to encourage him, pointed out the ride home in the truck was for people that worked for the company. I don't mind encouraging this post office person either. Especially since the other employees there have all been good to deal with. If I had to guess I would guess that if I find this person annoying in one encounter I can't imagine the folks that have to deal with her all day every day enjoy her all that much.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast