Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: Soy Wax, Palm Wax?

Boolit Master

Soy Wax, Palm Wax?

Local Hobby Loby has in stock..anyone use these in lube formulas?

I don't but, one is listed in this article explaining lube ingredients...

http://www.lasc.us/LubeIngredients.htm

I have straight carnuba and Candida waxes I got from Amazon for tinkering with lube.

Banned

as a modifier to bees-wax they both work pretty well, they give the lube a softness and feathering capability's that other waxes can't add.
    and don't go straight to liquid under heat like a paraffin does.

Boolit Master
    My experiments with palm wax have been downright weird. I used a variety for candlemakers called Glass Glow. It seems to have a 'graininess' that paraffin or soy don't have. It doesn't take very much Glass Glow in a lube mix to make it brittle. At about 1/4 or more the hollow sticks I made would split lengthwise when I pulled out the center rod. I think palm wax is more of a modifier in small quantities rather than a primary lube base.

Soy wax is the opposite: it's a softener and is very smooth and adds good pliability to lube. It does have a low melting point compared to most of the stuff we use, so quantities need to be limited for hot weather uses.

I have an experimental mix that started as Glass Glow, soy wax and synthetic 2-stroke oil. I had to add some beeswax to ameliorate the fracturing problem so it has good 'squeezability' in an unheated sizer. I have a bucket of about 1K 45 ACP rounds loaded with this lube but haven't had the chance to shoot any of them yet.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Boolit Master

I tried using some soy wax in my BP lube but found it was too slippery and didn't want to stay in the lube grooves.

Boolit Master
    soy is a toxic poison that is the bane of my existence. Like many people (many of whom don't even know it) I'm allergic to the stuff. If you are one of those who has chronic stomach problems, bowel problems, or unexplainable headaches and nausea.... try cutting soy out of your diet (good luck) for 30 days and you might find you are allergic too. Or the more PC version Dr's use. You aren't allergic you are "intolerant"

For wax in bullet lubes btw nothin is as good as beeswax.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master
    Speaking of softeners..last year I made up some beeswax-anhydrous lanolin-castor oil lubes with a new to me ingredient..Bayberry wax..this stuff is so hard and brittle, a wood chisle was used to cut chunks from block..and I got mostly small broken pieces & powder. figured this stuff would make it harder than Carnuaba..but instead it gave the lube a very smooth consistency..haven't yet had time to try out.

Boolit Master
    If someone is allergic to soy it makes sense that they cut it out of their diet. If they aren't allergic it doesn't make sense to eliminate it because someone else has a physiological defect, Same for nuts, bananas, strawberries, chocolate, pork, shellfish, etc.