MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Lee Loadmaster shell plate problem.

Boolit Master

Lee Loadmaster shell plate problem.

First, I'll state that there is NO problem with the Lee equipment. I spent a bit of time last night setting up my Loadmaster to load 5.56 NATO. Lee lists the 4S for 223, so I used that. My problem is my Lake City 5.56 brass will not go. I can force it, but that just causes other problems, and takes lots of time. I switched it out for the 19S (9MM). It works, but is a little loose. Cases are not aligning 100% of the time with the dies.
    The lake City brass seems to have a slightly larger diameter rim, or thicker rim. Probably flattened a bit from firing. Could also be rim is a little 'wavy' from the extractor pull.

What I need is an idea to open up the shell plate slots to reliably accept the cases. Anybody have this problem and a fix?
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

I too have this problem with LC sometimes. The extractor bends the rim just enough to piss me off. I saw someone using a Cresent shaped piece of thin copper wire in the 9mm plate to tighten up.a bit.. how about trying that?

Boolit Master

I've had this problem with 223/300bo brass, I believe the issue is that the rims become out of spec due to firing/extraction.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by vonzep View Post
    I too have this problem with LC sometimes. The extractor bends the rim just enough to piss me off. I saw someone using a Cresent shaped piece of thin copper wire in the 9mm plate to tighten up.a bit.. how about trying that?
    VERY clever! Gonna try that asap. Thanks.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Buddy
    I have also experienced the same problem... As recommended above I now utilize the 9 mm shell plate but I have not modified it in any way..

Boolit Master
    you will find same issue with 9 mm military also.
    if you have a drill press. you can chuck the case in it and turn the base. using a file
    but best way is to switch brass.

Boolit Mold
    I recently purchased two Lee loadmasters, one for 9 millimeter and one for 223. Previously I had been using a Lee classic turret and also the entry level single stage press. Now that I'm retired I've been shooting everyday Plus I have two friends that also shoot with me so I became the designated ammunition supplier. Last night and today while setting up the press for 223 I spent hours screwing around with the case feeder because it wasn't pushing the casings into the shell plate far enough only to find out that most of my cases won't fit into shell plate. I swapped out the shell plate for the 9 millimeter and that worked all though it was sloppy. After removing the shell plate and trying to fit cases into the openings by hand I realized that the Shell Plate was way out of Tolerance. I used the micrometer and every hole measure different. I've grown to expect this from lee. Their equipment for reloading is an excellent value and works well but you have to fool with it. I have two choices wait till tomorrow and call you ***** or fix it myself. I took the Dremel tool with a small bit and relieve the openings of the top of the shell plate a little bit and now they slide in like a dream. Also it doesn't hurt to remove the shell plate and look at all the little flanges sticking up that the shell plate rides on then I polished them a little bit then also oil the underside of the shell plate, index rod and case slider tounge and now it runs like **** through a goose