RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lee 4 die set, Is FCD really needed?

Boolit Buddy

Lee 4 die set, Is FCD really needed?

One quick question:
    am I correct in assuming the only difference between the 3 vs 4 die sets is the FCD?

I have a Lee progressive 1000 and I am thinking of buying the shellplate converter for the 38 spl and loading only cast boolits (Lee 158 gr SWC's).

Are there any major problems with cast boolits and the 3 die set? do I really need the FCD?
    thanks
    Billboy

Boolit Master
    Loading .38/.357 on a 3 station progressive or turret is not an issue. Do not over bell or over crimp and you will be just fine. I have been Loading .38 FWC on my 3 station for better then 20 years.

As for the 3 vs 4 die debate, I have been to that Rodeo before and have nothing to say when it comes to town this time.
    My hero's have always been Cowboys!

never needed it really. the seater die does it all for me. i dont crimp the rifle rounds either and just have the crimper in its box for years.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Vendor Sponsor

IF you are using the same size cast boolit as a factory j-word, the FCD won't be an issue. If you are sizing .358" or larger, the FCD will likely size down your boolits after you assemble them.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Buddy
    thanks for the help.
    its what I thought!
    billboy

Boolit Bub

I use a FCD for 9mm & 45acp, but not for 38 special. My 45 is a bit finicky and I found that finishing the rounds through the FCD made for more consistent feeding. Again this is in my gun - as the saying goes....your mileage may vary.

Oh i use the 9mm because it came with the dies set - works fine, but have not spent a whole lot of time test the difference of with or without.

Boolit Grand Master

I had a Lee FCD die, but it now resides somewhere in a landfill in Southern Oregon. Do a search and/or google Fee Factory Crimp dies and you'll see the many, many "discussions" on the tool.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

My 9mm, 380 and 45 submachine guns have very generous chamber dimensions. They can produce the 'Glock Bulge" in the case, and the FCD rids you of that hassle. Personally I use them on 380, 9mm and 45. Cast OR jacketed.
    It is interesting, however, how some are so opinionated on this subject.
    Collector and shooter of guns and other items that require a tax stamp, Lead and brass scrounger. Never too much brass, lead or components in inventory! Always looking to win beauty contests with my reloads.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm one of those "opinionated" posters. My objection is not with anyone using a Lee Factory Crimp die (for handguns), but new reloaders being told to use one. Proper die adjustments will, in 99% of the cases, will eliminate the need for one. I'd rather see new reloader's problems addressed rather them being told to just cover it up...

(Got B.O.? Just slap on more cologne, no need for a shower!)

Off my soapbox. Not a Lee hater as I have a lot of Lee equipment and even use the Factory Crimp dies on two of my rifle cartridge reloads...

I use the Lee factory crimp die on all my handgun cartridges for the simple purpose of making sure that they fit in my guns. For the most part, the sizing ring in the FCD never touches my cases. Only the crimp part of the die is used( I crimp as a separate step from seating).
    Occasionally I will have a thicker case than normal and would have had a feeding problem except for the FCD. I have never had a keyholing or leading problem that was due to using the FCD. That episode was due to not getting the case expanded properly.
    I can certainly see how you could have a problem if you need oversize boolits or you get an undersize ring in one.
    This is just one of those things that works a bit differently for different people. You may like it or you may not.

Boolit Mold
    For what its worth, I purchased the 4 die sets when I started reloading in 9mm, 40s&w, and 45 acp four years ago with the thinking that if a 3 die set is good a 4 die set must be better. After much research and reading here about it, I just used the other three dies and left the fcd for each set in the box. I would guess that since then, I have loaded over 10000 pistol rounds since I started and have never used them.
    I cannot comment on how good or bad the LEE fcd die is, but I can say that I haven't had a need for them. Lately I have thought about knocking the rings out and using them as a crimp die though.

Boolit Master
    I have found the pistol FCD's to be useful for a few things.
    1. in 40SW, I use the FCD as a bulge buster by pushing the cases all the way through.
    2. I once loaded some plated wadcutters into thick 38 special cases. They wouldn't fit in the chamber. There were only 6, and I planned to toss those cases, anyway. So I ran them thru the FCD and shot them. I didn't do any accuracy testing, but I know they sucked.
    3. I once loaded some cast bullets in brand new 10mm cases, and then I realized I made a mistake in the charge weight. The brand new cases were so clean, the bullets wouldn't pull, and I tried it all. Ran them through the FCD, and they pulled easy. Cases saved, bullets melted down.

If the FCD was really needed, Lee wouldn't offer 3 die sets, now would they?

Boolit Master
    I am "opinionated"......I believe they are a gimmick, like alot of Lee stuff. They will size down seated bullets, after you have spent hours sizing them to the size you want.
    Not a "gimmick"? Okay, bring back the Zip Trim.
    New reloaders may buy into this stuff, it is the responsibility of others to set them straight and in the right direction.

Up to you. I usually buy the 3 die sets and buy a seperate taper or roll crimp die to seat and crimp in different stations. If the 4 die set is only in stock and I need it or the set was a gift, I just remove the carbide ring and taper the step the ring was seated against so cases don't hang up. It is a pain to remove the ring and it helps to know what you are doing and have the right equipment but it can be done. I only need to size my brass and bullets once so I have no need nor want for the sizing ring in the pistol FCDs.

Boolit Buddy
    My 44Mag, 357Mag, and 38 special don't require a FCD, on 45ACP and 9mm yes they correct all issues.

Banned

I also like to have cartridge gage around for my pistol ammo.

Boolit Master
    on 45ACP and 9mm yes they correct all issues.
    I sure would like to hear more about all the issues these things correct. Heck, how about just one of them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by gloob View Post
    I sure would like to hear more about all the issues these things correct. Heck, how about just one of them.
    Hmmm, me too! I can't help think of the bazillion and a half 45 ACP rounds successfully reloaded before Lee introduced their FDC...

Boolit Grand Master

Some like red apples and others yellow. There is always someone who demands a Granny Smith.
    That doesn't make anyone less right, or more wrong. While the FCD isn't a required tool to get the job done, and you have to understand where and how much, it also does the job.
    If you had a gun with a tight chamber, but average bore, you'd quickly see the value.

Seating and crimping separately is pretty nice.

Having a carbide ring that resizes brass post loading.. that's another sorted story for specific needs.

I've made my own 4 die sets using lefter over seating/crimp dies from various makers unmatched sets. Usually found in boxes at estate sales.

Most of my setups look like this:

1: deprime/resize die
    2: powder/flaring die
    3: seating/crimp die adjusted only to seat
    4: seating/crimp die adjusted only to crimp (or FCD with carbide ring removed..or maybe left in .. just depends)

Some straight wall FCD's I've punched the carbide ring out of (so all it would do is crimp,not post resize), others I've left it in.

The rife/collet style FCD is a different animal. I like it much. Also, I like the limited run straight wall pistol collet dies LEE did for Ranch Dog.

Jeeze.. now that i look at it, i have a lot of "special" dies here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast