Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionRepackboxLoad Data
Reloading Everything Wideners

Thread: LR Mauser bbl

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell

LR Mauser bbl

I have a take off that for this purpose was a 280 AI with an eroded throat . It has plenty of shank space to have it cut off for a SR And with the rechamber remove all but all of the erosion and leave a nice clean 7mm 08 or even a 284 or lastly ,due to finding dies a 7x57 AI. Begging the question what if someone chambers a factory in a 1908 Oviedo.

So the question is , is it worth the time and money to cut, thread ,and chamber a throat eroded bbl or should I consider having it bored up to 30 cal and saved for its original action . 30-06' AI would move the shoulder forward about .08. There is also a sister action that would make nice 300WM.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy

If you are doing the work yourself, cut it and make it for a SR. Chambering it in a 7-08 or 284, I hope you are putting it on a Mex action or a Turk. Putting that much pressure in a 2 lug small ring is the equivalent of planning your funeral. A 7x57 AI is OK, but don't try to make it run like a 280. Having it bored bigger is usually more expensive than replacing the barrel. I'd only recommend that on a collector grade drillings or other similar rifle.

Boolit Master
    I've had two barrels bored. In my opinion this is only economicly feasible if you can't buy what you want. Different twist, wildcat caliber etc.

Short chambered pre threaded large ring Mauser barrels are pretty easy to find in common calibers and twists.

Perhaps I'm not sure what your end goal is exactly.

Edit, I just noticed this thread is several months old.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    It's not a collector piece in either case . It just seems a waste of good bbl core ,excluding the wear of course . I know there are probably 1000s of bbls just like this 1 that were scrapped it just wasn't me doing it .

For what it's worth if it were me doing the work I would have destroyed it or gotten lucky long ago . I hadn't given it much more thought until Wolfer added to it . Maybe this time it'll take hold .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Bub
    If it was me, I would cut it down and rethread/rechamber for 7x57.
    I agree, going with more than that on a SR is not wise. In addition, I would keep your 7x57 loads reasonable in the SR as well, even hot rodding those can cause problems.
    re