Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxPBcastco
Wideners Reloading Everything
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: One Jackrest to rule them all

I normally don't paint my projects but the more I use this one the more I like it. Thanks again.

Well, after using it over the past year I have found it is less than ideal for some of my rifles so I made some modifications to it today (why I almost never paint things).

Pistol grips or some magazines would get in the way making it more hassle to get everything right and when I stacked things so they would work it was less stable than I had become used to so I doubled the rear stabilizer and made a rest that would move back and forth while also transferring recoil to the rest instead of me.

This time I also left it a little more easy to swap out so if I decide I would rather have a different platform for the rear bag it's just two bolts away from being back how it was except still not having the single member below the rifle.

Last edited by jmorris; 10-06-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Wow. So you have made it similar in design to a 'leadsled'? I have been thinking of late of how to deal with the profile of sporter stocks when shot off the bench myself. I have resisted the temptation to tie all the recoil into the rest and have instead designed a 'butt end adaptor' that can be used to mimic the flat, parallel profile of benchrest stocks. Been working quite nicely for me. If you do not mind sharing, how has your 'captured recoil' design been working for you at the range? I've been struggling with a 'universal' design and your idea might solve that dilemma quite nicely!

Boolit Master

I just read thru all 4 pages of this thread. After evaluating my resources and skills, I'm off to look for the Sinclair catalog. Their rests couldn't be more expensive than hiring a fabrication shop to build one.
    John
    W.TN

I was not sure how I would like the captured recoil part either (but I do), that is why I made the rear plate removable. So I can go back to a rear bag if I want to, I just needed the clearance directly below the centerline.

Shot one of the best groups out of one of my .22's yesterday with it, .275" 5 shots at 60 yards.
    Last edited by jmorris; 10-11-2016 at 11:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I was not sure how I would like the captured recoil part either (but I do), that is why I made the rear plate removable. So I can go back to a rear bag if I want to, I just needed the clearance directly below the centerline.

Shot one of the best groups out of one of my .22's yesterday with it, .275" 5 shots at 60 yards.
    Nicely done. Have you tried it with something that recoils heavily? Not Ruger #1 in 45-70 type kicking, but say, 300 Win mag range? I've always wondered about the effects of stopping all rearward movement is why I ask.

Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    I just read thru all 4 pages of this thread. After evaluating my resources and skills, I'm off to look for the Sinclair catalog. Their rests couldn't be more expensive than hiring a fabrication shop to build one.
    Yes, if you are unable or unwilling to do the work yourself, such a project is not cost effective, nor likely personally rewarding. I like to make things, so such a venture is just the thing for me.

Nicely done. Have you tried it with something that recoils heavily? Not Ruger #1 in 45-70 type kicking, but say, 300 Win mag range? I've always wondered about the effects of stopping all rearward movement is why I ask.
    Thanks and no I haven't. I wouldn't expect it to stop all movement but I suspect it would take some of the bite out of them. My Marlin 45-70 is my hardest recoiling rifle, with hand loads, leaves a bruise on my shoulder after a single group. My 50 BMG is a kitten in comparison but also weighs about 40 lbs more.

I think the recoil absorbing feature would be about the same as adding the rests weight to the rifle as far as the shooter is concerned and the same as having a shooter that is that much heavier in the shoulder as far as the rifle is concerned.

Boolit Master
    You always amaze me, jmorris.... Well done....

Banned

^^^ +1
    He has mad-skills

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmort View Post
    ^^^ +1
    He has mad-skills
    He does....I wish I was his neighbor or better yet, he was my neighbor!
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Thinking of throwing something together using UHMW (ultra high molecular weight) plastic bushings and a pair of steel rods to control rear stock movement. IE - keep the rear stock movement parallel and perpendicular to the fore-end. Just an idea at this point. If I ever get there, I'll post a pic or 10.

I did this one using linear guides on Thompson shafting rails.

The target was 10 shots fired in under 10 seconds at 100 yards with my Clark custom 10/22 action.

For a complete rifle you might take a look at this one.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/127872.../shares/85u7bE

You might note that you don't need precision bushings or bearings just two V blocks and precision shafts, so what slides back can be slid back forward to the same position.

Several ideas here to mull over. Thanks for the link!

A conversation about zeroing rifles had me explaining how well this style of rest worked for the job. Then I realized how much longer it actually took to explain the process that it takes to just do the job.

So here's a video.

I've used the same technique on numerous occasions. Seems to work better with some scopes/bases than others, but it always gets you really close. Sure saves time and ammo.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234