Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingPBcastcoWideners
Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: One Jackrest to rule them all

I ordered a jack off eBay to throw one of these together to compare it against how I have always done it and have a few questions.

Most of the felt pads I have seen are disks that stick or nail onto the bottom of feet I you have a link to what you used?

The one that is on the bottom, do you swap that out if you adjust the angles wider/narrower?

The 10-24's angling in the sides, how much pressure do you have on them? I am guessing some what compressing the felt pads but still able to slide back and forth.?

I don't have a link on the felt pads, but just about any discount or home improvement store chain should carry them. And the rectanguler self-adhesive pads roughly 1/4" thick by 2"×4" or so is what I used. I cut the bottom piece just a tad wide and the sides run right up to it with a narrow fore end stock like a lever action, but still covers the bottom when adjusted out for a wider stock. If you have a true bench stock with a big, fat fore end, you will need to formulate a different plan.
    And as for the side 'paddles', I just set the angle to the stock contour. Really acting as guides, not enough pressure to start clamping. You may find you or your rifle likes a tighter adjustment, but what I mentioned has worked fine for me so far.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post

Most of the felt pads I have seen are disks that stick or nail onto the bottom of feet I you have a link to what you used?
    Lowe's carries a large, solid felt pad that's sold in a blister pack of 4 (they look like they are about 2x8"). It's in the section where they keep all their chair leg protectors etc. Price about 8 bucks for the pack. Great stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannibal View Post
    And as for the side 'paddles', I just set the angle to the stock contour. Really acting as guides, not enough pressure to start clamping. You may find you or your rifle likes a tighter adjustment, but what I mentioned has worked fine for me so far.

When you use it do they look like this "\_/" this "/_\" or "|_|". Seems like if it were the last one you could just use the "slot" adjustment. If it were one of the other two just bend the slotted angle parts to something other than 90 degrees. Having never used one I am not sure what I am missing though.

thanks Bjornb, I'll check lowes.

This '\_/' really doesn't work, but I have used the other two configurations about equally as often. You could always make one or more sets of sides bent to different angles I suppose, but as the slots for the sides to slide in and out is one of the harder things to do without a mill, the hinges and adjusting screws are just easier plus you get infinate adjustability.

Had a little time this morning to play so I got started.

I didn't like the handle that came with the jack I bought so I just cut the loop off and knurled a round drop of 1/4" plate steel (left over from a hole cut from another project) and welded it on.

I had some 2x3 angle so I just machined the slots longer so I wouldn't have to completely remove the bolts to have enough adjustment for everything I have.

Question, do you ever have the jaws on yours not parallel? I thought of adding a second bolt to keep them parallel (like on the left side in the photo below) but was not sure if a wedge in the jaws would ever be wanted. I assume with a stop, intending for the rifle to move back and forth, parallel would be best?

What is the allowed angle in "/_\" on the hinged plates? They need to be shimmed up from the bottom or they won't be able to angle towards the center but if they are too high on the hinge they will be able to fall flat and might become a pain.

Also, the total foot print of the one you have is something like 16.5" wide and 24" OAL?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails CAM00098.jpg  
    Last edited by jmorris; 08-23-2015 at 01:12 PM.

I've never found a case where I wanted the jaws other than parallel, and when the slot bolts are tightened, they stay parallel, but YMMV.

The side plates on mine are high enough that they can drop to about 45 degrees. Once the sides touch at the top, more movement is not useful. Depending on your design, you may choose a shallower or steeper angle.

Overall base dimensions are 13 1/2" x 22". I don't think this is critical, it's just how mine went together.

Hope this helps.

Was messing around with my jack a little this morning and if it is not all the way up or down and the base is ridged I can rock the top side to side from the base with my hand.

It looks like it comes from backlash between the "gears" at the top and bottom. There are a couple of different ways to eliminate the problem but I am curious if yours does the same?

Mine has side-to-side movement, but it requires a fair amount of effort for it to move. The jack is certainly not what I would call loose. I have tried 'locking' it in place, and noticed no discernable difference in the groups. Evidently my shooting style does not impart a force to shift the jack to one side or the other.YMMV.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 08-24-2015 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Spelling

Thank you for your help and ideas. Had a chance to finish it except for paint and play with it a little seems like it's going to work OK.

Nice work! Congratulations!

Boolit Master
    Define "reasonable cost...", if you would.

Rich

I'm not sure to whom you are addressing your question, but in my case, the only materials I had to go buy for this project was the scissor jack and the 1" round stock, spray paint and the felt pads. I spent quite a few hours on fabrication and assembly as well. Given the cost of the jack, round stock, spray paint, felt pads and a roll of flux core welding wire, I've got about $50 in mine.

Now, if you do not already own the necessary hand and power tools and have no scrap metal from prior projects at hand, then this project will likely be cost prohibitive.

Boolit Master

I'm going to do one of these, I got a scissor jack at a garage sale for .50 cents. I have some 3" angle. I'm going to have to buy the round stock though.

Boolit Master
    UHHHHHHH.Why don`t you just go to the local salvage yard and get a jack out of a late model car?A friend just got three jacks for free from a local salvage yard.They were still in the hold downs and had never been used.The cars were about four years old.
    Good luck. Have fun. Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

It allowed lowed me to play a little today with a remote trigger I had.

Boolit Master
    Just ran across this thread; glad I did.

Nice design Tim and very nice execution Hannibal.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Boolit Master
    when I made mine I used a jack out of a 318 BMW! Now thats a nice smoooth working jack!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Quote Originally Posted by nekshot View Post
    when I made mine I used a jack out of a 318 BMW! Now thats a nice smoooth working jack!
    Do you have any photos of your build and does your jack have the side to side movement in it as well?

Boolit Master
    no pics because we have another computer and this site won't allow the pic to show. The bmw jack is like their cars, very nice and smooth and zero wobble or movement. The beimer jack has a funny offset table to meet the car that must be rectified. I made mine with a 6x6 wood base and a wood top for the gun to lay on. It will never win a heavy weight contest but it is easy to move about and stays put for all of my shooting and turning the jacks shaft is a pure delight, nice and easy!
    Look twice, shoot once.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast