WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline Fabrication RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just throwing this out.

Just throwing this out.

I know some of you younger guys will not believe this could of happened. Thinking back on it I wonder why I was allowed in the first place.
    I would take my 16 ga. Western Field to school with me sometimes. I had a 20+ mile school bus ride and on the way home I would get off the bus a mile or more from home and squirrel hunt . The dangerous shotgun never killed anyone, that I know about.
    Times have changed a lot. Thinking back on it I doubt it was too smart even then. I guess people respected guns and knew the danger. We never had tv shows that had people killed today and be on another show tomorrow. .
    Sorry if this post is out of place. It is not about CB hunting. Just thought some of the younger folks might of never had the liberty with there hobby like us old guys did and enjoy it.

Had a .22 in my locker in high school was on a school rifle team no one was in a panic about it either.
    Moderating is a responsibility not a privilege, abuse your power and you lose, no matter how powerful you may think you are.

Boolit Master
    When I was in tool and die making school (1980) my instructor let me make a trigger for my brother's Ruger Bear Cat revolver as a project. He even heat treated it. I never took the cylinder to school with me but naturally had to have the rest of the pistol there to do the final fitting.

Imagine that !!! Taking a hand gun to trade school.

On another occasion in public speaking class I did a gun cleaning demonstration and another class mate did a reloading demonstration.

This was at the same school (technical college) and same era.

Motor

Boolit Master

In HS we frequently had rifles in back glass gun racks during deer season. A lot of us would hunt first hour then go straight to school, gun, deer(if lucky) and all.
    "In God we trust, in all others, check the manual!"

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Nearly everybody in my HS had a rifle/shotgun in a rack in the back glass out in the school parking lot. It was very common to go straight to the "squirrel woods" after school and try to bag a few.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Had a old single shot shotgun in my truck in high school. Never had a problem. Carried a huntin knife on my belt all during season. Never had a problem with that either.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Coming from the Midwest and small towns, I grew up around guns and everybody had them, knew how to handle and shoot them. No one that I know of ever was killed by a wild gun running loose on the town square!!!!! I remember, when I was 6 or 7, watching my neighbor reload shells and rifle carts in his front porch loading shop. Most people had gun racks with rifles in the back window of their pickups.....and never locked the doors! Stealing a man's gun was akin to stealing a man's horse back in the olden daze.

Yes times have definitely changed..............for the worse in many cases.

Boolit Grand Master
    when I was cutting my hunting teeth
    me and my friends would ride the city buses to the outskirts of town
    with our shot guns and hunt small game on the way back home
    try and do that now and swat would surround the bus
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    When we were kids, we had men around to tell us "This is a gun and this is how you handle it and this is what you point it at." and "This is a knife and this is how you handle it and this is....."
    And kids nowadays don't have that. And the lessons didn't just stop with guns and knives, they were given for opening doors for people and using doors that were already open, and who's next in line, and catching foul balls, and who can use the handicapped parking and......
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Buddy
    In HS I had a beagle and my buddy used to bring his Ithaca 37 Sweet 16 pump to school in his locker, so he could come hunt at my place after school.

I remember cutting off a shotgun barrel in machine shop and the teacher helping me set up to drill and tap for a new bead. I built a small 30 cal canon in shop and still have it (got to fire it someday lol). I even remember our shop teacher bringing an old double hammer S/S 12 gau. to class to show us. We just never thought of shooting people.

If you and I had a problem we would deal with it AFTER school. One of us would drag our butts home and that was the end of it.

I have a customer, born in 1933. He used to ride the bus or train or whatever they call it in NYC with rifle when he was a kid. They had rifle teams at school.

Boolit Master
    this thread brings back some fond memories of high school and sadness for what we've lost!

I can't remember having guns at school but, several guys that I worked with around 1990 would bring guns to work and show them off. Nothing was ever said about it.
    Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T.

Boolit Buddy
    Granted it was the late "70's but from August till March every pickup in the parking lot at school had a shotgun hanging in the back glass and most every male student had a knife of some sort in his pants pocket.
    Fights would break out regularly but it was taboo to even think about using any other weapon than your fists. And you didn't kick, bite, etc or you'd be branded a little girl.
    Takin' a butt beating was no big deal compared to showing bad form.

Oh, I forgot about the awards given in the 11th grade for selling the most stuff to raise money for the FFA.
    First and Second place was a Marlin 30/30, Third and Fourth place was an 8" Schrade knife. I've since forgot the rest but just before lunch the awards were given out.
    Well the ones of us that won the firearms and knifes were called back to shop class to leave our winnings there till after school.
    Yes we were walking the halls (with approval) with rifles and Bowie type knifes.

This is in no was to infer that my school was lax.
    There was a strict no smoking policy for those less than 16 years of age. You needed a note from your parents if you were under 16 in order to smoke and it had to be done within the canopy of the "smoking tree".
    Last edited by tsubaki; 05-19-2015 at 05:11 PM.
    Benny

Boolit Grand Master

Mom would give me 3 eggs to trade at the grocery for 4 shotgun shells. School was on the other side of town so shells and gun in hand i went to school.
    Afterwards I took the shells and gun I had left with the principal all day, and go to the fields, of a farm beyond school. The 3-4 rabbits or squirrels went a lot further toward feeding the family than 3 eggs.
    It was simple economics for us, and others did the same.

Boolit Master
    It was the same for me. Guns in the back glass of most trucks. Every boy and probably most of the girls carried a pocket knife.
    We built muzzleloader rifles and pistols in shop class. The kits could be purchased through the school at a discount. We also built some smooth sided boolit molds.
    I couldn't afford a gun so I built a crossbow for my project.

The town ( Winona ) still lets school out for the first week of deer season. It's a national holiday ya know.

I also recall a lot of fighting roosters on the buses and in the lockers. Caused a lot of laughter when those roosters would get to crowing at each other during class.
    Some people live and learn but I mostly just live

Love Life
    School shootings ruined it all. Up until the Columbine shooting, it was common to see guns in racks of trucks in the school parking lot of Lampasas High School. The female teachers would often ask us the students if anybody had a pocket knife they could use.

Then in WWCHS in the early 2000's, if a gun was spotted in a car, the parent had to come pick it up. Nobody freaked out, and we still had pocket knives at school.

Boolit Buddy

In the early 60's I asked for and was given permission by my Jr. High School to bring my great grandfather's Colt 1851 to school for a show and tell. Every student in the class handled the gun while I gave a short story about my ancestor. No muss no fuss. My things have changed.

Boolit Buddy
    i would bring my shotgun and a box of shells to school on the bus and then take them to the math classroom where the teacher kept them for an afternoon quail hunt with him
    the only problem i had was other kids wanting to tag along with us
    mule

School shootings, workplace shootings, theater shootings. Yeah, it's a different country now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast