Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationLoad DataWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Repackbox
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just throwing this out.

Boolit Master
    Yep Cleve, Potlatch still has a gun show in their school every year. Maybe that is the one you refer to, but figured potluck was a bit more then 50 miles from you.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Buddy

Ya lets face it most of us grew up in the end of the good ole days. A friend of mine and myself run a trapline when we were youngins - started trapping about 12 years old. We alwats had a single shot Stevens 53b with us and a pocket full of 22 shorts. When we were done runnig the trapline we cut back through town headed home with the 22 over our shoulders, ammo in our pocket and a sachel of rats over our shoulder.
    As I got older I always had an Ithaca shotgun hanging in the back of my 4wd 63 Chevy pickup in the school parking lot, along with probably 8 or 10 other vehicles. Same thing in the teachers parking lot. I really feel sorry for the youth of today not being able to experience what to me is an important part of our heritage. jroc
    My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-Shooter

spstocksandgrips.com

Texan Loadmaster Model T, Lyman All American Turret, Forster Co-Ax,

Boolit Master
    Well said Jroc!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Boolit Master
    Dad had a rifle rack in the back window of the '54 GMC pickup. Here in SoCal that all by itself, without a rifle in it and of course unofficially, might earn you a traffic stop today.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789

Quote Originally Posted by smokeywolf View Post
    Dad had a rifle rack in the back window of the '54 GMC pickup. Here in SoCal that all by itself, without a rifle in it and of course unofficially, might earn you a traffic stop today.
    Today, back window gun racks are used for hanging 4ft levels, a tube for building plans and sometimes a fishing pole.
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

In Remembrance
    I bought all my relaods for my shotgun at school, from one of my freshman teachers.
    I also cut off two shotguns in the school shop, everyone carried a pocket knife, and many of us kept a rifle or shotgun in the car or pickup,once we were allowed to drive.
    I even successfully hitchhiked home one night with a shotgun, try that these days. lol

It has been my understanding that there has been mass shootings or killings (even at schools) forever, but they were enot sensationalized the way they are these days.

Boolit Master

My buddy's dad used to board an airplane with a scoped rifle. He would just hand it to the stewardess and she would put it in the closet by the door. When he left, she would hand it back.

Boolit Grand Master
    Coming back from London around 1970, I had a Wilkenson sword in my carry on. Gave it to the stewardess and nobody thought a thing about it. Walking through the airport with the sword didn't turn one head. Further in the late 50's, I ran around the village with an Arisaka bring back (minus the safety / firing pin) playing soldier and nobody even stopped to ask any questions. We'd build "forts" in the public park, played cops & robbers / soldier / cowboys & Indians and if any adult even noticed, they would just smile and expect us to be home when the street lights came on. Of the idiot kids I ran with, nobody was maladjusted or needed mood altering maintenance drugs to get by.

its been so long i forgot about truck rifle racks , first they outlawed loaded rifles now in kalifornia the ammo and guns must be kept separate and each individually locked .. Glad im out , and happily living in nevada . I can carry loaded gun in vehicle in plain sight , or concealed with an easy to aquire concealed carry , oh yes criminals know anyone may be armed so don't dare give you problems ...
    To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

my feedback page:click and give me feedback here,below...

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show....php?p=1412368

Oh yes had Olive green Dodge with a slant 6 oil bath air cleaner.
    1 shotgun and a 22lr in the back window. After football practice would make it home with Grouse, quail, and usually a couple pheasants to clean before chores.
    Wish i could do that today just dont get back to Nebraska as much as i would like

As stated in all the post above, those were the good old days. On TV the people that got shot never died. There was always a moral to the story. There was no profanity .

Boolit Master
    I was on the heels, heels of it all only because I went to a small rural High School in the thick of hunters paradise. I'm still ticked I didn't get to do what was the norm for most of you all. I knew thats how it was and pissed I missed it. Really sad we didn't have rifle club. I've always thought I was born too late! Anyways, it was pretty common to see gun racks in the trucks in our parking lot. Come deer season, there was a sharp rise in absentee's that week! Everyone knew who's vehicles had guns in them. Pretty common. It was normal to see horse trailers in the lot too. Columbine put an end to it all.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    In the early to mid '60s the community just over the hill from us (about 7 miles) was largely agricultural; orchards and row crops. A few of the kids in that community (I knew a couple), during good weather, were still riding their horses to school.
    Livestock barn has since been replaced by a bus barn. I often feel like a walking anachronism.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."

Boolit Buddy
    When I was in high school (class of 03) I would use my backpack as a range bag on the weekends when I'd go to my grandpa's farm. On one occasion I had a box of spent 30-06 brass open up inside the backpack. I didn't realize it until the next morning when I was cleaning it out for school. I didn't count the brass but assumed I got all of them. During my second class I pulled out one of my books and guess what was stuck in it, yup a harmless piece of brass that got me in deep &#$!. I was pulled from class and expelled for something less dangerous than what the kid beside me was writing with. They said it was terroristic threatening, WHAT

Fortunately my Mom worked for the local government and got a judge to overrule the schools decision. I was back to school within a month. That whole situation was BS..... well I can go on for days about this but I feel that there's no need to preach to the choir right.
    Last edited by Indiana shooter; 07-09-2015 at 02:57 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Indiana shooter View Post
    When I was in high school (class of 03) I would use my backpack as a range bag on the weekends when I'd go to my grandpa's farm. On one occasion I had a box of spent 30-06 brass open up inside the backpack. I didn't realize it until the next morning when I was cleaning it out for school. I didn't count the brass but assumed I got all of them. During my second class I pulled out one of my books and guess what was stuck in it, yup a harmless piece of brass that got me in deep &#$!. I was pulled from class and expelled for something less dangerous than what the kid beside me was writing with. They said it was terroristic threatening, WHAT

Fortunately my Mom worked for the local government and got a judge to overrule the schools decision. I was back to school within a month. That whole situation was BS..... well I can go on for days about this but I feel that there's no need to preach to the quier right.
    Better watch your phraseology there. That is, unless you mean "choir".

- Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Mold
    My primary Doc said he used to ride public transportation in NYC (cant remember if it was subway or not so I wont specify), with his .22lr standing between his leg. I don't have near the years but back when I was in college in vt in '92, I kept my .22lr and 12ga in my room and as a member of the outdoors club(no fee by the way), I was entitled to a box of 12ga pheasant loads and a box of .22lr per day!! Wish I had stocked up on more but pretty sure I shot most of it! hahA

Boolit Buddy
    Better watch your phraseology there. That is, unless you mean*"choir"
    Sure did, spelling never was my strong suit. You know I typed it and never gave it a second look, thanks for catching that.

Boolit Mold
    When I was a kid, my father would stop the car on Cayuga Rd, and we would get out to watch the airplanes take off at the end of the runway. Today, you stop there, and in about 30 seconds is a Transit Authroity Cop, with his hand on his glock, asking "What are you doing here, *******?"

Yesteryear's view of a firearm

I still live in the county where I was born, raised and graduated from High School .... a county in Upstate New York known for being THE county with the highest deer take, year after year. Heavy agriculture with lots of deer and woodchucks..... ah, the woodchucks were everywhere. Lots of shooting.......3 of my older friends had over 250 chucks EACH in '63 or '64, the winner that year had 364 chucks ....me? only 152 because I couldn't drive yet and was using a Mossberg K640 in 22 Magnum. We had no rifle team, but so many of us enjoyed hunting and shooting.
    It was accepted to the extent that my High School yearbook featured a picture of a couple of us with our firearms (shouldered, no trigger locks or such nonsense) in the Hobbies section. School property; deadly weapons; smiles on our faces; no evil intent; no liberal panic. Imagine!
    Well, things certainly have changed in New York State. Some good, some very bad. Turkeys moved in late '66 or '67 (good); coyotes moved in mid '90s (mostly bad); the woodchucks have declined in a big way since (bad); bears have harassed us for maybe 10 years now (mostly bad) and every year or so, someone claims they have glimpsed a cougar (bad)....... but the biggest change was the ultimate act of tyranny when NY Gov. Andrew Cuomo rammed the NY SAFE Act through the Assembly and Senate in Jan. 2013, halting ALL purchases of "assault rifles". You or your estate presently have three options ..... 1.) sell it out of state or to a dealer who will sell in another state where the AR mysteriously becomes a "safe and responsible" weapon 2.) register the AR with the State Police, maybe they will let you keep it until you die, then # 1 kicks in (side note: it appears that less than 5% of all AR owners have registered their weapons) or 3.) prove that you destroyed it.
    Yes, things have changed in the last 50 years, what with the lack of common sense, insane political correctness, burning liberalism and fear of the ordinary citizen. The "road to recovery" will probably be a long one similar to the road our Canadian friends experienced with the demise of their long gun registry. Lord, give me strength!

Boolit Buddy
    I graduated high school in 10 and my brother in 12. We lived outside of Atlanta in Sharpsburg. It takes about 45 minutes to get to Atlanta and about 20 to get to nowhere but the principal at our school was a super libertard. Like the demilled drill M1 Garands the JROTC had scared her. I shot a deer while I was on winter break with my dad's rifle and didn't find it immediately so I went back out with a flashlight and his Colt Detective Special .38. I gave up tracking until my dad got home but since it would be quicker for my mom to drive to the back of the area being cleared for development than for me to walk all the way back home, she came and picked me up, I put the Colt in the center console and we went home. Dad got home and I grabbed my .243 (Handi Rifle open sights) and went back out there with him. He had is Beretta .45 and after we found the deer and got it cleaned and hung in the outside fridge I was ready to shower and hit the sack. Got up the next morning and got to thinking "Where's Dad's .38?" Then it hit me. I never took it out and my brother had driven to school. Talk about a snatch and grab. That Principal would have seen us both hang.

When I was very young (4-5) my dad took a sprite can and put red Kool-Aid in it. He took me out on the back deck with his Browning BL .22 and said "this is a gun, one day I'll get you one but for now don't touch them if I'm not with you, understand?" I was quick with the "Yes, sir". He shot the can and the red Kool-Aid went everywhere. He said even this little thing can hurt you really bad if you play with it. Then I watched Eddy Eagle tell me what to do if I found a gun. That's what America needs, a bunch of Kindergartners walking the halls singing "STOP, don't touch, leave the area, tell and adult" (And I haven't seen those videos since at least 18 years ago) and less parents buying all of these games where you are awarded points for killing more people with headshots. I'm all for violent video games and think they are fun, but not until an age where they know the difference. Before I bought my first battle game my Dad had a talk with me about how that's not how real life is and I knew that the Germans were bad guys and you only shoot the bad guys. /Rant
    Last edited by Anschutz; 07-30-2015 at 01:11 AM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123