Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheap bulk fmj bullet accuracy question

Cheap bulk fmj bullet accuracy question

i want to mass produce for the ar15 and im thinking i wont get the best possible accuracy with bulk fmj's such as armscor, hornady, win 1000 packs. i understand that there are powder differences and loads, with that noted, what could you typically expect with these types of bullets in moa at 100 yards? what do you get? which brand is the best performing while still being under 10 cents a piece?
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Master

Of the four I've tried, Hornady, Speer, PPU and IMI, Hornady and IMI were the best but IMI availability of components is hit or miss.

Boolit Master
    Funny you should ask. I load the Hornady 55gr bulk packaged rounds on top of 25gr of AA2230 for my AR (which, btw, was built with all the low cost parts / on sale items I could find including a $99 Green Mountain 16" barrel). I put 3 out of 5 rounds through the same hole this past Saturday morning and overall, a <1 inch group at 100 yds.

If you sort the rounds by weight, visually inspect for defects and perform your due diligence with the rest of your loading process, they should perform as well as just about anything for the average to above average shooter. No, they will not be suited for the professional snipers out there, but they are "good enough".
    Make no mistake -- They will remember how easily you surrendered your rights.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    I prefer the Hornady 55grain FMJ-BT with cannelure
    Shoot'em If You Got'em...

Boolit Buddy
    Go to Nosler's Shootersproshop site and get factory overruns or blems for a couple pennies more and you'll have something that will definitely shoot as well as your rifle. I just picked up 1k 52 gr Custom Competition for $141 shipped a couple weeks ago. You need to check in often as selection varies on a daily basis.

(Edit - they have 55 gr Ballistic Tips 16.45 / 100, 55 gr SP 9.99 / 100, 40 gr Varmageddon HP 12.95 / 100 and 52 gr Custom Comps 12.95 / 100 currently available in blems; 69 gr and 77 gr Custom Comps 39.95 / 250 and 50 gr Ballistic Tips 170.95 / 1000 in factory overruns)

http://www.shootersproshop.com/

Greg Shaw
    Last edited by goryshaw; 05-19-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Banned

hornady 55 gr bt's with cannelure and 24.5 grs of the aa-2230 here.
    it's a 2" round out of the plain jane ar's bout the same as my cast loads are, only a little faster.
    the hornady's shoot better than most of the other fmj's.
    the mid-way dog town bullets are also a good bulk choice.

Boolit Buddy
    I think you can expect a couple MOA, maybe up to three MOA. If you take the time to sort through them by weight and such, you might do better (see Bohica's post above). I was able to do quarter-sized groups at 100 yards through my M4, but that was using VMax bullets, not the generic FMJ 55gr you can buy in bulk.

Boolit Grand Master

2-3 MOA has been my experience and for blasting ammo, that's just fine.

For my "accurate" loads, I use bulk pack Hornady V-Max bullets. Using care and good technique they average well under 1 MOA

I've had zero problems and good accuracy from the Hornady bulk 55gr FMJBT with cannelure. 1-2 inch groups at 100 yrds depending on how I'm doing that particular day.

Midsouth sells them in 250 round bags, Midway breaks them down 100/plastic box (Dogtown?). I get them whenever they are on sale. They also do very well in my 223 Handi and Contender.

Why would you expect Hornady, Win or Armscor to put their name on a bad bullet?

How good is the AR you plan on putting these through?

Boolit Master

I have an early Ruger Mini-14 and as most know, it is not what is known as a "tack driver." Using Win. 55 gr. fmjbt, it has never produced bragging groups. Usually about 3 to 4" off sandbags at 100 yds. However, I tried a 52 gr. Nosler soft point (exposed lead) flat-based bullet and for 3-shot groups, it would do less than 1" at the same distance with a 4X12 scope on 12X. 5-shot groups would heat up the barrel and groups would spread to almost 3". I've about given up on fmj bullets in the Mini, though I have a bunch loaded and plenty on hand "just in case." Big Boomer

good to know guys. hornady seems to get alot of praise. maybe that will be my next buy. i also never said that they had bad bullets, its just that most companies produce an "economy line" of product. i just wasnt expecting these to be on the same level as a/v max, vld, smk bullets that are fairly price adjusted. the more premium stuff or match.

i have a psa 16in carbine 1/7 twist fyi.
    Last edited by beex215; 05-19-2015 at 04:32 PM.
    my feedback. ive done a few more but never get feedback.
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...hlight=beex215

Boolit Master
    I did this same thing but with rem.fmj and some managed to hit the target sideways.

Some not at all.

Although not all of them were junk some did a good job on targets at 100 yds.

Boolit Buddy
    The Midway USA Dogtown are actually Nosler Varmegeddon. Likely seconds I assume. I have used them with good success for sub 1" @100 yards with Varget.
    I did get better results with Varmegeddon tipped, but not much. 3/4" is about all I am good for.
    For blasting, I prefer the Hornady 55g SP. I have gotten better results from the SP than FMJ-BT. A little more difficult to load as the base is flat, but that is ok. I can get consistent 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 with these with Varget also.
    $.10 a piece here http://www.natchezss.com/phtradvar-2...ct-134174.html

The above is with a bone stock LE6920 and Nikon Buckmaster 3-9x40 with middle aged eyes.

Banned

measure the diameter on those remingtons.
    I got a 'good buy' on a thousand 500-plus of them...... once.
    I give them to the kids when they are just gonna blow through 20 magazines of ammo in 5 minutes.

Boolit Master

The bargain basement generic and allegedly mil-spec bullets have performed as Dudel and Osteodoc8 said; 2-3 moa at 100 yd. I just loaded up a test run of Vietnam era M93 bullets last week and tested them. The boxes are marked M193 Winchester-Olin. The same AR-15 rifle with the same LC brass, same Win748 powder charge, same CCI primer and a premium SMK bullet, don't even change the seating die, will make connected holes at 100 yd. For plinking or insurrection type emergencies, 3" groups are plenty good. I'll load every last one of 'em and put 'em on stripper clips.

David
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master
    I've managed 3/4" at 200 yds with the Horn 55-gr softpoint flat base and 748. I've never been impressed with any of the fmjbt, and the armscor are the worse.
    Loren

Boolit Master
    The Hornady FMJ's will clean the 100 yd high power target all day long with a high x count from my experience in my AR-15 match rifle. I would say that qualifies as good enough accuracy for a lot of us. Of course for more serious applications I prefer the match grade bullets.
    NRA Endowment member, TSRA Life member, Distinguished Rifleman, Viet Nam Vet

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by beex215 View Post
    i have a psa 16in carbine 1/7 twist fyi.
    You really need to try them out for yourself, as every barrel is different.
    That said, I never found 'good' accuracy with the light (sub 60gr) bullets in either of the fast 1:7 twist barreled rifles I had. (Eagle AR-a2 & Win 70 VHB) About 2.5-3moa was tops, though they both shot sub moa with the heavier 68-69gr bullets.

Cheers, YV

Boolit Master
    Beex216, try doing a google search for Everglades Ammo.
    I have danced with the Devil. She had excellent attorneys.

Boolit Grand Master

I tried the fmj hornady and the hornady SP, both 55 gr. The SP is definitely more accurate. In my Contender 23" bull barrel they shoot less than moa all the time. In my AR they run about 1 1/2".
    The FMJ run about 2" to 3". For a little more money than the fmj I can also use the SP for varmint hunting.
    The Armscor were not very accurate at all.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast