Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad Data
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading

Thread: Help deciding on mold?

Boolit Mold

Help deciding on mold?

I have a Marlin 336 pre micro groove and Ruger gp100 and looking for a mold that will work well in both. I am looking at the 360 180Gr. RF (BRP) and 360 180Gr. WFN from NOE. Does any one have any input on there experiences. I am leaning toward the (BRP) because it has a smaller metaplat and Glen E. Fryxells reading recommends 73% meplat offers the best compromise of good aerodynamic stability. It all so looks real close to the rcbs35-200.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...7k6pv5r3ednaq3
    http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/product...7k6pv5r3ednaq3
    http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell357Max.htm

Any recommendation would be great.

Just one, really? IMHO you would be hamstringing both with a compromise mold.

Boolit Grand Master

If possible buy a few of that bullet or similar and test in your firearms before buying a mould.Put a post in boolits wanted sub of swapping and selling may bring up that exact boolit or one very similar. Once you know what works then buy the mould once and run.

Boolit Master

Ifin I had to have only 1 for each , the 0le dirty-30 would get the 311041 & the GP would get the single grooved 360-180 PB.

I have both molds ,& while my dirty-30 is micro grooved , it does well with the 311041 sized to 310 & the 360-180 is hard to get bad results in anything !

Another favorite of "my" GPs is the NOE 358429 , I have this mold in 5 cav

For plinkin & fun, me & the yugens (as well as the revolvers) like the Lee 105 swc (saves on both lead & recoil) low report & soft shooting fun time to be had for sure. We shoot this boolit at the deck of cards targets.

As stated above the 357 mag is just to versatile a cartridge for just 1 boolit !!

GP
    GP100man

Boolit Mold
    Should have said the Marlin is a 35 rem. I hope to get more than one but right now lam looking at these two. I would like to get a mold that works good in both. I got some wfn but haven't found any of the brp style yet.

Boolit Master

If your lever is not fussy, I would be all about the bigger meplat. The custom 130 grain LBT for my Kinda-Sorta .32-20 Martini is similarly proportioned. . .
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150317_194118.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	24.5 KB 
ID:	140016. . .and being shot through a relatively slow 1-20 twist, is accurate at 200 yards, and demonstrating stability to at least 250 (haven't shot paper that far, but it predictably follows my Tennessee elevation errors on and around the gongs at that range). Neither of your launch platforms are thousand-yard buffalo rifles, so I would recommend not sweating the aerodynamics in order to opt for maximum short range (below 300Y) THUD. On a .358 Winchester or Whelan, I might consider the skinnier nose, but on a brush gun - only if there were feeding issues.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master

Sometimes a very wide flat nose will hang up going into the chamber so ask the mold maker if he thinks the selected boolit will work.