RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: "O" Rings

Boolit Master

"O" Rings

There always comes a time when we are working away and "WHAM we are stopped in our tracks because an "O" ring breaks, splits or just goes away. The industry can't make specific "O" rings for everything so they've standardized the sizes to a modest 50 or so for us reloaders uses.
    Kenetic bollit pullers are the SAME SIZES internally, and parts are basically interchangable for them.
    I only use the Lyman boolit sizers, #45's and I've used some #450's and they use the same "O" rings also.
    Here is what I've been using for decades, and they are all available from Home Depot, are under the brand name "Danco" come in a pack of 10 each, and cost (at least here in Florida) $2.69/pack of 10.
    The little "O" ring that holds that infernal top 3 piece assembly together in your knetic boolit puller is a #35 item #96749
    The Lyman presses use two "O" rings and they are:
    Small - #35 item #96749
    Large - #15 item #96732
    So with this information, you don't have to go ordering from the manufacturer any more, just go to Home Depot and for under $6.00 you should have almost a life time supply of "O" rings now.
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Master

I get the box from harbor freight.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy

If the O ring breaks in 1 spot I have cut the ends flush, put a small dab of super glue on one end and put the ends together. A quick fix - most of the time.
    "Well Stanley, here's another nice mess you got me into!" Oliver Hardy

Boolit Buddy
    Excellent information. Thanks very much.

Isaac

I have the assortment boxes and a "make your own" kit that just has different diameter o ring stock and a little fixture for alignment after you apply the super glue.

Boolit Master
    Been buying o-rings as separate and individual parts for years.

Back in the late '80s, I was purchasing mgr. for one of the top 3 motion picture film laboratories in the U.S. In the first few weeks, being new to that role, I had to get approval signatures on purchase orders over $100.00.

Seeing a need to replenish supplies of an o-ring used specifically in a particular model gearbox, I called the distributor of that gearbox and got a quote of $3.60 ea., which matched the price on a previous PO issued by my predecessor. Per my calipers, the sample o-ring I had in hand appeared to be of standard size, and material appeared to be of common Buna-N. I called a local major o-ring supplier and got a quote of 18 cents ea. I wrote up a new PO for 100 of these o-rings and took it to administration for signature. I was immediately queried as to why we had to pay so much for these o-rings ($18.00/100). As I had the foresight to bring the old PO (showing $43.20/12) with me, I handed it over to VP who was questioning my judgement.

That was the last time I had to get administrative approval on a PO smaller than $2,000.00.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789