WidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Want to cast 150 gn. bullets for Marlin .30-30 336cs w/microgroove barrel

Boolit Mold

Want to cast 150 gn. bullets for Marlin .30-30 336cs w/microgroove barrel

Would like to buy the correct molds etc. for my .30-30. Already have casting gear for .30-06, .38 and .357.
    Here is my list.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/501..._vc=sugv501819

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/124...cm_vc=wishList

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/720...cm_vc=wishList

Appreciate any advise...thanks

MC, I once owned a Marlin .30-30Win. (Microgroove) which was boringly accurate with certain cast bullet designs. Sadly, the Lee design wasn't among them. Before you decide on a mold or sizing die, you'll need to slug your Marlin's bore. Mine needed a .310" diameter CB although it would tolerate a .311" CB, but wasn't quite as accurate with the larger diameter. You'll also need to slightly bell the case necks so they'll accept CB's without shaving your CB: Lee, Lyman, and RCBS offer such dies, but I've always used the Lyman "M" die specifically for the .30-30 case.

Hope this helps!

Boolit Master

The dies and mold should work fine. I would slug the barrel before buying a sizing die.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    you may want to check out this one from NOE
    i have one in the gas check version and in plain base style both shot excellent from a marlin micro groove barrel
    they also work just as good from barrels with conventional rifling 311 165Gr. RF

mine drop 172 grns lubed and checked
    mule

Boolit Master

Why use 150gn boolits? I like the Marlin 30-30's and have 5 rifles that I use quite often. My preferred boolits are the Lee copy of the 311041 and the RD311-165 loaded from mild to wild for excellent accuracy and hunting use.
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the replies everyone. Looks like slugging the barrel is a good start. Iron Mule is there a link for the NOE?

Boolit Master

Try this link for the Ranch Dog molds from NOE. I just got a 311 165 RF that has 2 PB and 2 gc. I figure I can load the plain base mild for target/plinking, and the gas checked ones up to full snort to hunt. My first ones from the mold weigh 173gr with gas checks and powder coat.

http://noebulletmolds.com/NV/index.php?cPath=71_75
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Master
    MC, your choice is exactly what I've been shooting in my 336 for 30 years. It serves me well and I size to 309. A fun gun and surprisingly accurate for a rifle with micro groove and lead. You'll need to play around to find the perfect load. Good luck, Rod

Boolit Buddy
    sorry forgot to add the link to NOE but i see that Duke bailed me out
    mule

Boolit Mold
    The LEE you've got the link for in your post looks like a good place to start to me.

I started with a very similar Lee 2-Cavity Bullet Mold C309-160-1R 30 Caliber (309 Diameter) 160 Grain 1 Ogive Radius Gas Check

I ended up with a gas checked & powder coated bullet at 162 Grains.

For my load I settled on 23 GR Winchester 748 with C.O.L. of 2.4995" for a very accurate load in my Marlin 336.

I call this my starting point because I just ordered a NOE 311 165Gr. RF RG2 cavity GC (RD) (I3)
    I want to make this my cast hunting bullet as I think that the flat point will be serve me better than the round nose Lee mold I'm using now. Of course you may have been ahead of me there as your already looking at a FP mold!

Good luck, just know that you'll end up with more than one mold for the 30/30 no matter what...

“Nothing of value is free. Even the breath of life is purchased at birth only through gasping effort and pain... The best things in life are beyond money; their price is agony and sweat and devotion... and the price demanded for the most precious of all things in life is life itself--ultimate cost for perfect value”
    Robert A. Heinlein

Boolit Master

If NOE doesn't have what you want, Tom at Accurate Molds makes a damn good version of the Ranch Dog mold and he's got some other nice molds for 30-30. He can make a custom mold to your liking.

My my dad has a 170gr flat point gas check mold from Tom that does great in 30-30 and in Dad's Savage 99 in .308.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Boolit Mold

I like 8.0gr Unique with the Lee 309-170F boolit for a mild and accurate load.

Boolit Mold
    Good to know...thanks