Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingLee Precision
RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners PBcastco

Thread: Vectan range of shooting powders

Post Vectan range of shooting powders

Single base... BUT.. they do list the 357 max and 41 Rem Mag...

http://www.grafs.com/uploads/technic...df-file/20.pdf

Reloading data, web-based http://www.vectan.fr/UK/reloading-charges

VECTAN powders cover all the applications of pistol and rifle reloading and are proposed in four different ranges :

VECTAN Ba10, Ba9 1/2, Ba9, Ba7 1/2, Ba6 1/2 [these all look to be short grains]
    Powders single base in stick. This range is now completed with Ba9 1/2, Ba7 1/2 and Ba6 1/2. This range is particularly adapted for handgun reloading. All the powders of this range are absolutely clean burning and now have the same dimensions.

Ba9 1/2 : this new powder between our traditional Ba10 and Ba9 covers a wide range of calibers and is perfectly adapted to the 9 x 19mm, .38 Super Auto, .38 Special, .357 Mag., .40S&W, .44S&W Special, .44 Remington Magnum, .45ACP, .45 Colt

Ba7 1/2 : created to extend reloading possibilities. It gives excellent results for 9mm Luger, 10mm Auto, and .45ACP

Ba6 1/2 : it is the slowest powder of this range. It was specially designed for Magnum handguns ; it is also perfectly adapted to reload small rifle calibers such as .22 HORNET and .30 calibers.

VECTAN Tubal 3000, 5000, 7000, 8000 [longer grains]
    Tubular, single base powders, listed here above by decreasing burning rate order from the fastest to the slowest. Vectan Tubal powders are designed for rifles.

Flake powders are flat squares / diamonds

VECTAN A24, AS, A1, A0
    Single base flake powders with color identification, intended for handgun use and some rifle applications.

VECTAN 206 SV, 206 V, D20
    Single base disc green powders, intended for shotshell applications.

VECTAN Prima SV, Prima V, GM3
    Single base granulated powders, intended for shotshell applications.
    Last edited by ohland; 05-18-2015 at 10:53 AM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Grand Master

The price and quality is good. Ive become a fan
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken

Super Moderator

..............Several years ago Graf & Son were clearing out Vectan Tubal 2000 in 8lb jugs. According to Vectan's load info at the time it was listed as being very close to 4198. I do not recall now how much it was but it was VERY inexpensive. Something like $60 per? I bought 4 jugs of it and found that in fact is so similar that I've loaded it almost charge for charge with 4198 data. I've noticed that there is no current load data for VT-2000.

................Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

I was hoping that Vectan made a double base powder in the Unique class. It does have Ba6 (or Ba6 1/2) but it is single base, and tubular...

Love Unique in reduced loads. Nice flakes that ignite easily, double base for that extra lovin"...

Treatise on Pistol Powder Useage by Greg Mushia (we're not worthy!!!)
    http://www.gmdr.com/lever/pistolpowi.htm

" Conjectures
    Although the author cannot prove the following internal ballistics, (he neither owns nor has access to a high speed x-ray movie camera) the following seem strongly indicated by the data (and maybe even logic).

Conjecture 1) powders ignite in one of two ways, conductive ignition and convective (or flash) ignition. Where conductive ignition is defined as most of the energy required to raise any grain of powder to its kindling point (temperature of ignition) is via low impedance paths offered by physical grain to grain contact. This is how one grain ignites the next grain of, eg, IMR 4831. This is an artifact of the heavy deterrent coatings, high internal thermal conductivity and large thermal mass and hence sink each grain represents.

Convective ignition is where no physical contact (and hence no conduction) is required, but where each grain is bathed in hot ambient gases (from the primer or from other grains burning), and due to its small thermal mass the entire grain is raised to its kindling point whereupon all its surfaces spontaneously ignite. This is how all the double base disc powders burn. Flash ignition is a special form of convective ignition, where the entire powder charge begins burning simultaneously.

Conjecture 2) the heavy inclusion of nitroglycerine in the disc powder's formulation is no accident. Nitroglycerine when ignited generates significantly hotter and more gases than nitrocellulose. If this were not true then as the charge weights increased one would begin seeing coked, unburnt residues, which one does not see. The initial hot nitroglycerine gas comes almost immediately after the primer flash and supplements the primer in igniting all other grains.

Conjecture 3) the disc shape is not accidental. For the powder charge to ignite uniformly and consistently each grain must be bathed in hot gases and must not be sheltered from such by other grains. The thin disc shape acts as a sail and causes upon primer firing the charge to resemble a colloidally suspended solution: hot gas and powder particulates.

A corollary to this is that for a powder to be viable in said application, it must not be packable. This is why ball powders are unsuitable - a wavy edged disc with high sail area to mass is not packable in the context of a stream of hot primer gases. Pliable low sail area to mass grains are more inclined to be compacted against the base of the bullet and smolder, generating non-ignition, partial ignition, and either way very non-uniform ignition.

Another corollary to this is: if the sail area to mass ratio is great enough, then independent of the orientation of the cartridge and hence the location of the charge within the cartridge, upon primer discharge, one still ends up with a reasonably uniform mix of primer gases and powder particulates, ie, loads which behave the same muzzle up, muzzle down or muzzle level. "
    Last edited by ohland; 05-21-2015 at 09:11 AM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    I have been trying 2 of their powders near Unique on the burn chart, Ba9 and A0. Ba9 is a nice powder, and might end up as a replacement for Unique for me if a steady supply makes it to our shores. The grain shape meters better, it burns cleaner, and accuracy is as good or better so far. A0 seems to work better with some pressure, but I need to try it in more cartridges first. jonp was trying one of the shotgun powders close to Unique I think(GM3?).

Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    I have been trying 2 of their powders near Unique on the burn chart, Ba9 and A0.
    For what cartridge and what weight/speed? Those appear to be short grain, so IMHO, quite nice for hunting loads.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    For what cartridge and what weight/speed? Those appear to be short grain, so IMHO, quite nice for hunting loads.
    38/357 and 7.62x54r so far. Here are some of my results: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ressions/page2 I need to test the A0 for accuracy in the 7.62x54r since the Magnetospeed bayonet was slipping and the magnet in it was changing the POI with each shot. Single digit SD's and low teens ES's in the Mosin is pretty good, and I did not tip, point up, or any other funny business to reduce any possible position sensitivity.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    Ive been trying GM3 which is near Unique. 3gr in 38sp burns clean for me. I did a short write up on it and am buying more. Getting a chrony shortly to watch velocity and match to Unique data.

BTW I just got an email from grafs. The printed data on pgs 28-30 i think is wrong and they are correcting it. Dont use the data on those pages before checking.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

It is not with strength one will prevail; those who oppose The Lord will be broken