RepackboxLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication

Thread: Hornady L-N-L musings or How I learned to Load 32-20 on L-N-L

Hornady L-N-L musings or How I learned to Load 32-20 on L-N-L

I have two L-N-L presses. One is relatively new as in post #7K SR number. The other is old, dating back to 1998 or 99. The newer press has a case feeder, the older press has not been modified to accept one. The newer machine has the newer priming buttons, the older machine uses the old two part stem and cup.

Everyone knows that 32-20 brass is thin, thin, thin. Did I say it's thin? Anyway, everyone also knows that 32-20 bullets are between .311 and .313 based on cast or jacketed. I decided to run some jacketed bullets. This was after letting my machines sit idle for the last 5 years. So, I decided to use the older machine as I had the newer machine with case feeder adjusted for 30-06.

First problem; I had a .308 expander button installed in my Hornady 32-20 dies. I figured I could just use one of the stations for a Bonanza M type die. That produced ammo that looked lumpy and set back. Kinda like a fat bottomed woman wearing spandex yoga pants. Hmmm, The necks were just not expanded enough. So, I found a .311 expander button and swapped it out. Perfect, that did the trick. Now however, as the cases went into the powder station, the case mouths were getting rolled inward. Hmmm, more head scratching. I pulled the powder measure apart and found the drop tube was a PTX die for 45 auto. I found the right tube and swapped it out. No joy, I was still getting crushed case mouths. So, I tried Starline brass. That worked perfectly but I wanted to use all of my brass so back to the drawing board. I found that by increasing the bell on the case mouth the problem was solved.

Now the seating/crimping die. I used my Hornady die. Finding the right crimp was a lesson in patience. Too much and the cases crumpled, not enough and the bullets were loose. I finally abandoned crimping with the Hornady die and decided to crimp using a Lee Factory crimp die. But.... it wouldn't work in station 5 due to the ejector wire. I will solve that once I get the press upgraded to EZ-Ject but until then, I just crimp in an RCBS Rockchucker I have mounted alongside. It has the case kicker mod so this extra step is nothing really.

New problems; the primer slide keeps binding. Turns out the old-style primer punch likes to work loose and then bind. That will be fixed with the upgrade. OK, on to the next issue. The ram locks up mid-stroke. Hmm, more head scratching then I see it, the two screws that hold the base plate in place on the ram are loose allowing the base plate to rotate ever so slightly. I torq them down and "Bob's your uncle" it works.

New problem, now the primer hole is slightly out of time. A 1/8 turn counter clockwise on the left pawl adjuster and we are back in business. Cranking out ammo like crazy now.

The chosen load: CCI small pistol primer, mixed Win, Rem and Starline brass. 9.5 grains of 2400 and a Hornady 110 grain XTS FP hollow point.
    R J Talley
    Teacher/James Madison Fellow

Changed my newer press over to the break away primer system. Ugh, what a pain dismounting the press and then rebolting it. BTW, the newer primer system really rocks. A huge improvment.
    R J Talley

Glad to hear you got it worked out. I'm about to start loading .32 H&R Magnum on my LnL after the holiday weekend. We'll see how that goes.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master

What is this new priming system? Guess I need to get out more...

They have taken the old solid cam wire and made it break away. Then they took the old primer slide and redesigned the wheel replacing it with a machined aluminum one. Much smoother. Now on the older presses they used a two piece primer punch and cup. Since 2000 or so that was replaced by a one piece unit. You still have a spring loaded punch but it cannot be removed from the containment nut. The "new" nut will not fit older presses though. The whole thing is a lot less hassle and a lot less prone to jamming.
    R J Talley