MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxPBcastcoTitan ReloadingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: 22-year-old takes moose with 116-year-old Drilling

Boolit Buddy

22-year-old takes moose with 116-year-old Drilling

I just found this subsite and since this kill was made last fall, I don't think it's too far back to include here.

Started out as you can see in the picture as the Lee .446 cast bullet. In wheel-weight 'lead' it dropped as 382 grains - no gas check. After swaging, it was 0.439". Launched at about 1900 ft/sec, impact range 40 yd, it was recovered on the 'far side' under the skin at 328 grains and 0.840" in diameter. Moose was "dead right there". "Pulverized" the on-side shoulder blade, went through C5 or C6 neck vertebra, (bull was angling away at at least 45 degree angle), ended up under skin on far side.

Proud hunter and her first bull:

She had a permit for "any bull". We had planned for her to use a Remington 660 Mohawk, chambered in .308 Win, but when this bull sneaked up on us, the Mohawk wasn't close at hand. I cocked the hammer, set the drilling to "rifle", and told her to "use the front trigger". Bull dropped in his tracks.

I am at least as 'stoked' as she is.

Paul

PS - For more on the firearm and 'getting to' shooting the rifle, start here: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/sho...hlight=Stormer, and go here: http://thehunterslife.com/forums/sho...522#post108522.

Paul

What cartridge is that? Is it maybe 11.15 Spanish Remington? That's what Wikipedia leads me to believe.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Grand Master
    That's about as perfect boolit performance as it gets. Congrats! (Yes - what cartridge is that?)

Boolit Master

Great hunt, what cartridge and load?

Boolit Buddy
    11.15mm x 60R LK Express ?
    Good judgment comes from experience.
    Experience comes from poor judgment.

She did very good.
    Man that is one SWEET rifle. I love all that engraving.

Boolit Grand Master

Excellent, nice moose, nice daughter and nice drilling! I'm still waiting to draw a permit here for a moose, someday I hope
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy
    Sorry I didn't respond sooner, fellas. I am supposed to get email notifications of posts in this thread, but didn't.

I think you may have found answers to your questions already by reading the two threads listed at the end of the original post.

11.15mm x 60R LK Express ?
    Was close, but if you read the thread (just the first few pages) from the second URL I posted, I think you will get a more complete explanation of the nature of the chambering than I could give here without reproducing the thread here.

Thanks for your compliments! This was my daughter's first big game animal and she was very pleased about it! It was suggested that I make a 'trophy' from the event using the recovered bullet, the fired case, a dummy cartridge, and the picture. I really liked that idea.

Paul