MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Load Data Repackbox

Thread: I turned a $18 toaster oven into a $60 one more or less.

Boolit Master

I turned a $18 toaster oven into a $60 one more or less.

So a few weeks ago I purchased a Revial $18 toaster over from Wally World and as expected temperature control was sad. I used a decent analog oven thermometer in it and by watching it very closely I was able to keep it between 350 and 425F which seems to work with power coating but was a PITA so I ordered components to equip it with a PID controller. MYPIN TA7, a 40A SSR (way overkill) and a K type probe.

Chinese to English instructions really sucked but with my past experience with industrial controls I was able to stumble may way thru them somewhat and it only took me about 8 hours to get it working correctly. It should have taken 7 hours less but it took me forever to find an interment connection which kept causing it to error out. Spade connector on the thermocoupler most have been applied on a Friday . afternoon a Monday morning , right after a break or by someone in training during their first day on the job.

Oven now stays between 375F and 405F when set to 205 C( 400F) . PID controller works much closer but this oven drops down to 375F when I place six pounds of Boolits in it. I need to wire the heater elements so they bypass the internal controls. Now I am using just the Bake setting which is lower element only and it is only 420 watts as checked with my Watts Up Meter.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 05-16-2015 at 06:46 PM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Boolit Buddy
    So you turned an $18 toaster oven into a $60 toaster oven for only $100 bucks and a handful of hours?

Boolit Master
    More like $42 worth of improvement part.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    I will be impresses when you make the enclosure for a PC oven that is big enough to do several full sheet pans at a time, or large parts. May take some time to heat up but it would be cool.

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Good move on upgrading the oven. A PID is just so smooth and makes baking worry-free. Are you leaving yours set on C° display? I believe MYPIN will let you choose.

I love a PID.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

In Remembrance - Super Moderator & Official Cast Boolits Sketch Artist

A full size house oven will do several sheets of bullets at the same time if you add a extra rack or two since it will only hold two full size sheets out of the store. But just because it looks a lot bigger I strongly advise test fitting items you may want to coat inside first. Yes I PC a item just to find out it did not just fit in had to do some quick thinking to make it happen lol. It is not all that bad of a ideal to have a full size oven/stove in the shop for one you can use the top units for smelting lead heating molds and even heating the shop up. It will also be handy for drying brass after it comes out of the wet tumbler and annealing brass for swaging if you set it on self cleaning mode. And everyone knows bigger is better right.
    Reloading to save money I am sure the saving is going to start soon

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Beagle333 View Post
    Good move on upgrading the oven. A PID is just so smooth and makes baking worry-free. Are you leaving yours set on C° display? I believe MYPIN will let you choose.

I love a PID.

Sure get a lot more done now that baking is worry free and no baby sitting the oven . Thanks for the reminder about ability to switch from C to F. Now it ,looks right and I no longer have to look at a chart or worry about placing the analog oven thermometer where I can read it.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 05-17-2015 at 01:03 PM.
    NRA Patron Member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by RP View Post
    A full size house oven will do several sheets of bullets at the same time if you add a extra rack or two since it will only hold two full size sheets out of the store. But just because it looks a lot bigger I strongly advise test fitting items you may want to coat inside first. Yes I PC a item just to find out it did not just fit in had to do some quick thinking to make it happen lol. It is not all that bad of a ideal to have a full size oven/stove in the shop for one you can use the top units for smelting lead heating molds and even heating the shop up. It will also be handy for drying brass after it comes out of the wet tumbler and annealing brass for swaging if you set it on self cleaning mode. And everyone knows bigger is better right.
    I have been trying to convince the other half we need to put in a stainless stove before we market the house just for this reason. No bueno.