Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Load DataLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Wideners
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Motherload stories

Boolit Buddy
    I got a quarter of a 55 gallon drum of scrap 63/37 solder for $20 awhile back (it was about half dirt from sweeping it off the shop floor). Then couple weeks ago found a half of a 5 gallon bucket of linotype at the scrap yard for 75 cents a pound.

Boolit Buddy
    Sitting in a training class during a break. Instructor started talking about shooting.I mentioned that I was a bullet caster.He gave me around 800 pounds of sheet lead from a bathroom remodel. All I had to do was haul it away.

Boolit Grand Master

I remember when I used to cull through the free weights and only take the big ones. I'd only take what I could carry in a cardboard box. I could always go back the next day, and do the same.
    Of course there's lots of things I did 50 years ago, that aint gonna happen anymore.

Boolit Grand Master
    About 30 years ago, a friend had the job of cleaning out an old print shop, I told him I'd take all the linotype. It took me a couple of years of reminding him, but one day he called to say he was on his way to deliver it (the print shop was 45 miles from my house. I was stunned when he arrived, he had the entire box of his 3/4 ton pickup loaded with foundrytype, monotype, linotype, and linotype ingots. The truck was so heavy it flattened the rear springs. It took us an hour to shovel the loose type into large metal garbage cans. I'd estimate 2500 pounds of loose type and another 300 pounds of ingots. I shared a lot of it with fellow casters, sold 600 pounds, and still have enough left to last my lifetime.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Mold
    Oh the perks of running a tire shop for the past 16 years. You would be surprised at the amount of lead ww still being removed to this day. I have enough for me and any coworker or friend who wants to cast, for a couple lifetimes. The plus side of it is that I get paid while collecting them!

Boolit Buddy
    Not a score for me but I have to tell about what I seen today. I was at our local recycling center today inquiring about wheel weights. The guy said "right back in that corner, in that 55 gal. drum". So I walked back and about soiled my britches. That drum was about 2" from being full to the brim! He quoted me 75 Cents a pound and I said "I'll take them all!"...he gave me a funny look, then I told him I was kidding. I talked him down to 50 cents and walked out with my meager 25#. But I'm going back when My wife gives me my allowance...☺

I have a friend that owns 2 tire stores and I get 2, 5 gal. pales about every 6weeks. Free, can you say sweet!

“A liberal’s paradise would be a place where everybody has guaranteed employment, free comprehensive healthcare, free education, free food, free housing, free clothing, free utilities, and only law enforcement has guns. And believe it or not, such a place does indeed already exist: It's called Prison."

--- Sheriff Joe Arpaio, Maricopa County, Arizona

Boolit Grand Master

Does anyboy know that would actually be "mother lode"?

Picking a nit.

Bill
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post

Picking a nit.

Bill
    You can keep your lodes! I want a load of lead!

I may have a story to tell, but it's still in progress.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MtGun44 View Post

Picking a nit.

Bill
    I think it a mining term, maybe from the gold rush days in California.

Boolit Master
    About a month ago I got a call from a friend who spotted some lead at a yard sale. I went over and wound up with over 300 lbs. of ingoted WW (no zinc) for just over 50 cents a lb. I took a little bottle of muriatic acid and put a drop on each 12 lb. ingot to check for zinc.
    R.D.M.

Boolit Master
    I worked for the phone company for over 37 years so lead was never a problem. I saw to it that when I retired I would have a life time supply. When we decided to move about 100 miles to our present location I had to give away several hundred pounds it but I still have a life time supply.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I had a buddy whose mother was a realtor and she sold a house and ask me if I would haul the lead out of the basement. There were approx 800 LBS of 1 LB ingots and probably 1000 LBS of 25 to 35 LB ingots. I knew the Guy was a caster because the ingots all had RCBS or SAECO on them. I thought I had a life time supply and I left probably 8 - 5 gallon buckets of wheel weights. Now I wish I would of grabbed the buckets too. This was probably 30 years ago.
    "Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." John Wayne

Boolit Buddy
    Not what I scored, but what I gave away. My wife got a great job in PA (turns out it was short-lived) and we lived in CA. My wife got a relocation package that we were awe-struck by (as in they'd buy our house, move us, pay closing costs on the next house yada yada). We didn't argue too much.

Moving companies will not transport live ammo or primers/powder. I gave away, at my local club, at least 15 pounds of powder, many thousands of loaded rounds (mostly factory shotgun, rifle and pistol rounds- lots of 9mm and misc. rifle calibers) and many, many thousands of primers. We just couldn't carry it with us and there's no one who will ship opened boxes of flammables.

It felt great to give that stuff away- the reloaded rounds went to folks who knew me and my integrity. But the giving was awesome- just like the moulds and such that I've given away on this forum when it was the 'old' cast bullet forum. It's cool to pay it forward.

BTW- we're moving again. Does anyone want 50 or 60# of zinc? PM me!
    NOI- it's what's for dinner

Boolit Bub
    My parents remodeled their bathroom. I got about 130lb of dead soft sheet lead from the lining for free.

Boolit Master

I would not be a caster today had I not been given, free, 900#'s of radio-isotope shielding. Each syringe must be shielded, for transportation from pharmaceutical lab to Nuclear Medicine facility, in a cylindrical, pure-lead, ingot insert, of twin, 3.25# halves. A pair of "loaded" syringe ingots are inserted in their companion 37# pure-lead molded block. The 50# lead "stack" is placed in an ammo-can steel case.

I got 83 steel ammo-can cases with 18 each holding a 50# pure-lead stack. SWEET!

Since then I have "lucked into" free WW's and more than enough < $5/# tin at yard sales and flea markets.

I am set for life-plus!
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Buddy
    the mother load would be a sailboat keel off of a 40 boat for free.

Boolit Master
    Mother load? Three thousand pounds of machine weights in sixty pound ingots. Free!

A thousand pounds of monotype at $.25/pound and a $20.00 surcharge for delivering to my shop door.
    How's that hope and change working for you?

Boolit Grand Master

Wow, some of you Guys have made some good scores!

Boolit Master at Heaven's Range
    i went to a school surplus auction a few years back and bought 3 30 gal barrels of mono type

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast