Load DataLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: removing wording on a ruger pistol barrel

Boolit Master

removing wording on a ruger pistol barrel

So, looks common. That most folks draw file the "banner" off. Is this better than setting up in a lathe to do it? I'm pretty sure if I do it in a lathe I'll end up with a band from flipping the barrel around to profile it. If I do it with a draw file, the barrel is lopsided. And it would be my first draw file project (thus: risky for a good job)

So how do you think I should go about it? lathe and risk putting a band around the barrel, gapping the EJRH, etc, or do it with a draw file and spend the time shoeshining the barrel round-ish again, like most seem to do?

It would be a foregone conclusion, but the barrel is coming off anyways for other reasons. So this project isn't a "barrel has to stay on the gun" project.

Boolit Master
    Anytime the barrel is thinner on one side then the other the barrel can bend as it's being fired. The thinner area will heat up quicker than the thicker side. When this happens the POI will change. If it's a hunting rifle and repeat shots are not common it probably wouldn't be much of an issue.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety".
    Benjamin Franklin

Where an excess of power prevails, property of no sort is duly respected. No man is safe in his opinions, his person, his faculties, or his possessions.
    James Madison

Boolit Master

it's a revolver barrel.

I would suggest a good gunsmith! Let him be responsible for your gun.

Boolit Master

What would a good gunsmith do? (please don't say barrel replacement)

I have drawfiled lots of them. If you do it right it's not noticeable unless you start measuring with calipers to see the barrel's not round anymore. You do need to spread it out and feather the edges and not just cut a flat. Polish and blue as original and you're set.

-Nobade

Moderator Emeritus

Years ago I had a Super Blakchawk barrel shortened to 4-5/8" which also cut the wording in half. The gunsmith removed the barrel and turned it...and recrowned it....looks great....
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Jeez, I'd just leave it - doesn't bother me any.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

I'm in the same boat. I had Volquartsen shorten, thread, and re crown my MK2 Ruger 22LR barrel from 5.5" to 4". Now I have half the roll mark printing on the barrel. Volquartsen used to do it but no longer offer the service.

I read on other forums that some draw filed while others used sandpaper. I read the sandpaper ( wet /dry in increasing grits) isn't that bad as the imprint isn't as deep as you think.

I am thinking of chucking my receiver/barrel in the lathe and using the sandpaper method with some initial draw filing.I won't try cutting it with a bit as I don't have the proper fixture to center it true and don't want to risk messing up the new fresh crown and threading. I plan on cerakote afterwards anyways so no high polish or bluing is necessary.

If you turn the barrel, you better have your taper attachment set very precisely since they do have taper on them. And what are you going to do about the sight? That's a very difficult way to do it, fraught with possibilities for failure. I wouldn't do that myself.

-Nobade

Boolit Grand Master

We always removethe barrel and turn it to do a good job. I actually prefer to remover and re install the front sight to do the job really right. I use a shear cutter for the final thousand for the smoothest finish.

I have several Ruger single actions from which the instruction manual was removed from the barrel. The barrels were draw filed and then cross polished with abrasive cloth shoe shine fashion. With the eye you cannot see any out of round. I consider notion of heat warpage to be pure conjecture without any basis in fact.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Vendor Sponsor

If the roll mark is very deep, it will raise ridges inside the bore behind every one of the words on the outside. I'd be more intent on removing THOSE than worrying about the outside!

I will confess to something though, and I don't know how this works but it just works, if you can't afford an old Colt and want one, or if you had a few and let them get away (like I did! DOH!!) and can't afford to replace them, or if you just want a neat gun that has the looks and feel of the Old West, get one of the Ubertis and leave the Ruger be. It certainly scratched my itch!
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Fine gunsmithing tools required......

Boolit Master

Sweet, I got all those gunsmithing tools!

Thanks guys. Looks like I get to try my hand at draw filing and bootstrap sanding for shaping (instead of polishing)

Boolit Bub
    I haven't done a barrel (yet) but have done a little draw filing, get a 10-12" single cut file and make sure to go the right way. If pulling towards you the tang goes in your left hand, pushing away tang in right hand. Keep it flat and at 90° to the work piece. It's amazing how well it works

Boolit Master

Thanks for bumping this thread, it's a reminder. I just put in the brownells order for the steel EJRH, internal parts to tighten up the action/retime, and get the frame inserts just to eliminate the need to make a set to pull the barrel. Looking forward to this project.

Boolit Grand Master

First you remove the bare after putting on a witness mark. Then you tig/mig all the writing a little at a time so as not to warp the barrel. Then you chuck it in the lathe and bring it back to proper dimension and polish and blue. Then while it's out you ream an polish the forcing cone till it' dead smooth and then replace the barrel if it is stainless or re blue and replace. Are we getting close to the cost of a new tube yet????

Boolit Master

well, I think we are looking at filing the lettering out, then feathering the flat spot out to avoid making the barrel look oblong. From folks who have done this, they suggest it will not look off. That the lettering is not that deep.

That saves the trip to the TIG welder and lathe.

New tube from Pacnor is the cost of the blank + $50 (or $100, I forget) and you get two barrels.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by rondog View Post
    Fine gunsmithing tools required......

I think you forgot the all important pipe wrench.. never can tell how tight that thread is....
    "We hang the petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office." -- Aesop