MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingLee Precision
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coon up a tree

Boolit Grand Master

Coon up a tree

I had never seen a coon except on the ground, and since I have no hunting interests, I didn't realize they climbed.
    I was startled as much as Mrs Coon when I stepped outside. I'm sure she must have little ones close by. As soon as I stepped outside she scampered up the trunk of a 32" pin oak. She attempted to climb down, head first, but my curiosity made me move for a better look, and back up she went. When I left she was on the top limb, about the size of a garden hose, and looking for more height.
    I knew possums climbed, but had just never thought about coons.

Boolit Grand Master
    just saw one yesterday myself in our back yard
    my pooch chased it up a tree
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    I had never seen a coon except on the ground, and since I have no hunting interests, I didn't realize they climbed.
    They can do a universe of little 'tricks' that you have never thought of.

CM
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

Boolit Buddy

They are sneaky & destructive little SOB's for sure, they are the Gangbangers of the animal world ......
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Master
    to be honest I rarely seen one on the ground unless it was shot outa a tree, but then again I grew up coon huntin with my great grandad and his hounds.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Master

Did you know they can use door latches/knobs, put chickens on the other side and they can. And I had a pair of them one time would pry push and pull dig and squeeze under the garage door. Couldn't figure how they got in caught them at it one night. Dog food and potatoes was what the were after.

Boolit Master
    I will see the work of them in 3 weeks when my earliest crop of sweet corn is ready. I bait live traps with cheep canned tuna. They come out of the trap after a 22lr to the head. They then become Sunday dinner for my fathers old maid.

Boolit Buddy
    Growing up running dogs all night treeing coons listening to his lies (stories). Those were some of the good times with my dad.

Boolit Master

Those rascals can indeed climb!
    Back when I had chickens, they figuired out how to get in the coop and then have lunch. They would turn a chicken over and eat its stomache contents.
    Miserable to see. The chicken would still be alive when we go to it.
    We gave up on the chickens, and the coons still came around.

Boolit Master
    One of my favourite authors on shooting, fishing, animal behavior and South American revolutions, Thurlow Craig, tell of a pet raccoon a friend had in Argentina. I think it must have been a crab-eating raccoon, though sadly deprived of crabs, because the common raccoon isn't found there. It not only had the habit of washing food, but used to lather itself with shaving soap before washing itself. I don't know if it was just copying humanity, or understood the cleansing effect. Only it never learned to unscrew the cap, so it had to chew open a new tube every time.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-13-2015 at 01:43 PM.

Boolit Buddy

SWMBO had a couple as pets when she was younger, till the day he died her Dad had a really nasty scar on his right calf from the male named Rufus. When we got married they only had one left, it's name was Rascal. SWMBO told me they would feed them dry catfood & Sugar Smacks, the critters would even swim with them but would try and drown the family dog if he got in the water.

After SWMBO's two younger siblings got married and moved away, her Dad & I took Rascal up to a Cabin they owned on the Lower Kern River at China Gardens and released him. That was around 1980 or so, for several years after that we would find empty crawdad tails on the river bank quite often. They sold the river cabin in 1993 and moved to the cabin that we live in now, we bought it in 2000 when they moved closer to town due to declining health issues.

Haven't been down to the river cabin since, but have wondered occasionally if ole Rufus was still down there fishing for crawdads. We do have coons that come around nightly & paw through the feeders, usually a shot to the hip from a low velocity .177 airgun will make them understand that they can't hang around.

BTW, since we have lived here I have had to exterminate about 10 or so that just wouldn't take the hints ......
    Last edited by Mtnfolk75; 05-13-2015 at 02:08 PM.
    Livin' my dream in a little cabin on a mountain .....
    USN Vet 1972-1980, Retired CA Peace Officer, NRA Lifer
    Plank Owner - USS Jesse L. Brown (DE-1089) 17Feb73 / USS Kinkaid (DD-965) 17Jul76
    RIP Mom & Brother, you will never be forgotten & forever loved

Boolit Grand Master

If you want a good laugh, listen to some of Jerry Clower's coon hunting stories.
    They all good, but my favorite is the coon hunting monkey story.
    Jerry Clower was the original blue collar comedian...not dirty, and funny as all get out.

Boolit Bub
    I hate raccoons. Hitting them is like running over a rock. Tore up a couple of cars hitting them.

Boolit Master
    Coons can climb like a monkey! My then 15 yo daughter shot her first one out of a 50ft cottonwood tree. He didnt come down as gracefully as he went up. They kill chickens on the land we were hunting on so we did the owner a favor.

Super Moderator

I witnessed a smallish coon squeeze through a chain link fence. I could not believe my eyes, and thought for sure there must have been a tear in the fence. Nope...he just squeezed himself right on through.

Moderator Emeritus

I hit a huge racoon while driving a Chevy Citation, tore the heck out of the front end, bent the oil pan back...

I get them trying to get in my garbage some years. If I see garbage on the ground I know the little thieves are back and I will chain the garbage can lid down. One was so fat and roly poly that he kept jumping to try and get on top of the can and couldn't make it. I was watching out the bay window of the kitchen(he had triggered the motion sensor light) and was laughing so hard he finally heard me and waddled off to the neighbors(she leaves cat food out...). If they attack her cats I will dispatch them, otherwise I let them be.

Quote Originally Posted by Grits View Post
    I hate raccoons. Hitting them is like running over a rock. Tore up a couple of cars hitting them.

Boolit Grand Master

The coon made several attempts to climb down, but each time one of the children on the porch would spot him, and the commotion would send him right back to the top. They had great fun watching him, most of the day.
    Sometime during nap time he made good his escape.
    I guess I had heard of dogs treeing coons, but it just never crossed my mind that I'd ever see one.
    There are always stray cats and loose dogs here in town, but things like coons, groundhogs, and possums, are newcomers. I was over 50 when I saw the first groundhogs about 25 miles away, on the side of I 40. Now I have a hard time keeping them from digging dens in the yard. Possums are now common and I guess the coons are next.
    As a lad when, Grand Paw caught a possum, he called a certain member in the black community, to come get it. He would keep it in a barrel, while feeding it sweet potatoes, "to clean it out", and then have a special feast of it.
    Are coons and groundhogs eaten also?

Moderator Emeritus

Both are edible... groundhog is like pork

Boolit Master

Corn bread and Coon drippings are great!, they say. I took their word for it and never tested the theory.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast