Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionLoad DataWidenersInline Fabrication
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: throwing in .22lr towel?

Quote Originally Posted by Texantothecore View Post
    My grand daughter is going to be getting a rifle in a few years. I have preliminarily settled on a Savage Rascal or possibly a Remington.

Both are 22lr which worries me a bit as I think the prices are not going to come down much further. Does anyone know of a good kids rifle that shoots a reloadable 223? Hornet etc.?
    take a look at the ruger 77/22 and the ruger 77/22 hornet. Both excellent rifle. Take a look at CZ too

Prices are not super high, at least not at Walmart, last box of 333 rounds was a touch over $20. Availability is another story. Only people with it available are the scalpers that are scooping it off the Walmart shelves most days as soon as it comes in.

Those chain stores are just not helping. Two simple steps would really help with the scalping. Stock ammo at random times (prevent the same people from always being first in line) Limit sales not on number of "boxes" but number of rounds! Way to many people have a regular route of being first in line (maybe with a friend) then buying the box limit in bricks. Intending to resell the individual boxes. Limit of 300 rounds or 1 box whichever was greater would end the ability of the scalpers to corner the supply.

Tired of going to gun shows and seeing the table full of 22's in assorted sizes and brands from multiple stores at scalper prices. Not tired of walking past since I have some in the ammo pantry, same as I walk past the massively overpriced "armor piercing" green tips. I do remember who the sellers are however. Let god forgive em. I'm going to hold a grudge.
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this source of casting material somehow so we added an "S" to what non casters and wives call what we collect.

Kind of hard to claim to love America while one is hating half the Americans that disagree with you. One nation indivisible requires work.

Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Yes Sir NavyVet, that is her.

Only difference is on the front magazine tube when the parts got worn instead of replacing them they brazed it together.
    So functional but not as pretty.
    Mine has had some electrical tape wrapped around the front of the stock for as long as I can remember, so at least 40 or so years. I decided to remove it recently to see what shape the wood was in. It had a slight crack in the this part of the stock that attached to the metal. I cleaned up the adhesive residue leftover from the tape and it looks a bit better. Eventually, I'll get around to putting some wood glue in the crack and clamping it together in hopes of repairing the crack. It's also a .22-short, but I've shot it with .22LRs -- you just have to load them one at a time and then manually pull the spent brass out of it since the ejector will not fully eject the longer brass. Or maybe the ejector needs replacing?

Stock in my area is coming back slowly. These have lasted on the shelf for 24 hrs+ now due to price, they use to vanish in a few hours. Will keep an eye on it.

Gander Mtn Appleton Wi today.
    Blazers and American eagle are $2.99/50rnds, limit 5. So about $30 for 500 if ya stop there twice.

Boolit Master
    I was buying Rem Mohawks (bargin) for 50cents a box in 1976. A Sundrop was 25cents about that time. Now a Sundrop is a Buck50 and bargin 22s are 3 Bucks. I still think both are outragious in price now , but really not unreasonable. Glad I still have 550 pacs with $8.95 stickers on em, I think I'm too tight to pay 3$ for a 50box.. I fear this is the new norm for 22s.
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Quote Originally Posted by rking22 View Post
    I fear this is the new norm for 22s.
    Sadly, I agree.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by berksglh View Post
    Sadly, I agree.
    Same thing was said when the price of all things AR spiked. Only time will tell but I don't see it staying as high as it currently is. Maybe not back to $20 a brick but I don't see it staying at $30 either.

Boolit Master

I'll help out all you guys who are stuck with .22 rifle and pistols by buying them from you. Of course since they shoot unobtanium ammo I can only give $25 for a rifle or pistol, but at least you won't be stuck with them.
    Most people would sooner die than think, in fact, they do so. -B. Russell

Boolit Master
    I have bought 2 in the last 6 months, cause I liked them! I also just got on a NOE buy for an 80gr 25cal bullet for my little 256 rifle. Just in case you know
    “You don’t practice until you get it right. You practice until you can’t get it wrong.” Jason Elam, All-Pro kicker, Denver Broncos

Boolit Buddy

Cabelas raised the Remington 525 bricks by approx $6.00 last time they had online inventory available for purchase. About 6 days ago. $31.99 off top of head before tax. I had hoped prices would be going down soon. But then raising has me think we're stuck for a long while with super inflated prices.

Banned
    its been 20+ years since i've shot any factory loaded centerfire round. (i handload) its been about 3-4 years since i've shot my 22 rf. i have roughly 3 or 4 500 rnd that i paid $16 for. will i shoot my 22 rf? i really doubt it. it will stay in the safe for a long time.
    i use my 38 spl, 44 mag, 30-40 krag, 444 marlin, 45-70, and 30-30 for cast boolits. some full power, some using trail boss. mostly i use a tc encore with a MGM 20 vartarg and 32gr j-bullets. for shooting targets and groundhawgs, it can't be beat.

i, like many of you, will not bow to the hoarders. i'm having way too much fun!!!

Boolit Master

I asked the other day at WalMart and they said "no .22". I said "of course not" and walked on. My 3 kids each have a .22 singleshot. The last time I went out shooting I brought my 9 YO son with me and we shot the .32 S&W-L HE revolver. He did pretty good with it and it was cheap to shoot with reloads. To be honest the kids would rather shoot the SUB2000 in .40 Cal. than the .22s and that is fine with me because I can cast and reload for next to nothing for it.
    You can miss fast & you can miss a lot, but only hits count.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by richhodg66 View Post
    Get a .22 Hornet and a mold. The loads I squirrel hunt are just as good or better than .22 LR and cost about half what pre panic prices were.
    +1 on that. I got a Savage 25, and a 40 grain NOE WFN mold last summer.
    Dutch

"The future ain't what it used to be".
    -Yogi Berra.

Boolit Master

throwing in .22lr towel?

Outside of predator/small game hunting I haven't shot my 22s in 4 years. Haven't been able to buy a box of ammo locally in about 6 years. The local gun store guys tell me that they do see 22 ammo on occasion, but that they can't get it in the quantities that they used to, not to mention the current demand. I have noticed my pistol and center fire rifle skill level has really suffered from my lack of frequent practice with 22s. All that said I have simply cleaned and pushed my 22s to the back of the safe until the 22 drought ends.
    "I don't want men who miss." -Capt. Leander H. McNelly

Boolit Master
    The position we each take on this issue will strictly be a personal preference based on our shooting needs. The passion in my shooting is handgun silhouette. I have only the smallbore version of this game available to me in my state. If I am to continue, I have to pay the price for 22LR ammo......and I will continue to do so. If my only interest was to hear a gun go bang I could possibly take a different approach. I have molds for every centerfire gun I own and have worked up satisfying loads for most of them. Cast bullets or air guns will not work for me in smallbore handgun silhouette.
    Last edited by high standard 40; 05-20-2015 at 05:57 PM.

22 blanks for nail guns work really well. There was a youtube video about it, and they experienced extreme leading. They didn't chrono but were exceeding 22lr velocity by a "fair bit," but they were using airgun pellets.

Probably a lot of fun could be had with a crate of blanks, a 45gr .224 mould, and PC! Size them down to 223, PC them, and size again 224. No leading, no filthy greased rounds. Plink all day.

(Part 1/2)

(Part 2/2)

The problem with using pellets is that they are only about 15 grains.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mauser48 View Post
    The problem with using pellets is that they are only about 15 grains.
    Might be enough for some folks, but I would prefer to take the 55 gr BATOR mold and use it instead.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast