Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingLee Precision
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: throwing in .22lr towel?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Yes, I go thru hundreds of Bators in my 223 bolt actions. Nice easy plinking round. And I can load them right up there at LR velocities if I need to.

Most any pistol or shot gun powder will give good results! I use X-Terminator for full loads (with GC's).

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bangerjim View Post
    Yes, I go thru hundreds of Bators in my 223 bolt actions. Nice easy plinking round. And I can load them right up there at LR velocities if I need to.

Most any pistol or shot gun powder will give good results! I use X-Terminator for full loads (with GC's).
    Last time I bought .22LR bricks, they were around $7-8 per 500-round brick.

Figuring 55 gr per bullet with the BATOR mold and $1 per pound, that works out to be $3.93 per 500 bullets.

Assuming $25 per 1000 primers, that adds another $12.50 per 500 for a total of $16.43.

Alliant "Promo" (Red Dot equiv) is currently $103 for 8 lbs at Powder Valley. I don't remember the exact load that I used off the top of my head, but assuming 3 gr, that's another $2.76 for 500 rounds bringing the total to $19.19.

Even discounting the value of my time, it doesn't look like I can reload .223 for as cheap as .22LR *used* to be. Cheaper than I can find it currently though.

Interestingly, the greatest part of the cost is just on the primers. It is possible to save a few bucks by using a bullet trap and recovering your lead, but there's not much you can do about the cost of the primers.

Boolit Master

I'm keeping my .22's because I have plenty of ammo for them, bought here and there for $20 or less per brick prior to the recent panic. The .22 ammo will come back, just like brass, primers, powder, hi cap mags, etc.

If one goes with all reloadable cartridges, you still need to come up with the primers to power them. How is that different from .22 ammo? The average cost per round of my .22 stock is well below current primer costs, and wasn't much of a premium over actual primer cost at the time.

Following that reasoning to its logical conclusion, we all ought to have a flint mine, make blackpowder from chicken poo and charcoal, and only shoot lengthwise through a deer so we can recover the lead. I'm sure someone here is already doing this, but what is the end game? I'm just going to stop worrying about it and go shooting. I suggest everyone else do the same and quit all this hand-wringing.

Edit - I see Navyvet1959 just put pencil to paper on the numbers.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Boolit Grand Master

Why would I sell them now? That's like selling an AR. The market is down for both of them. I still own more firearms chambered for 22lr than any other cartridge. Stock will return and I will buy cases of it just like I used to do. Of course I love shooting centerfire. But not having to spend the time reloading or chasing brass has it's advantages. Especially if all you're doing is plinking.

Boolit Buddy
    I've loaded .223 with the BATOR mold at what was probably .22LR velocities. You don't even need to resize the case afterwards. Good use for those steel .223 cartridges...

I never thought about using those. I have 5 boxes of them someone gave me. I might try that. Thanks!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    If you have a single shot .22 firearm, you have other options. You can use the .22 blanks that are for the power tools (putting nails into concrete, etc) and load a cast bullet in front of it. Depending upon your chamber, it might work without the leade needing to be increased. I've seen the power tool loads for as low as $25 per 1000 -- maybe even less if you order a whole pallet from Alibaba.
    I asked about this a while back when I noticed the availability at Menards and everybody said don't do it, it'll blow up your gun. Now that I cast .22 bullets, I may get a cheap rifle and try it from a distance and see.

By the way, that Bator cast very soft and shot without gas checks in front of 1.5 grains of Bullseye is squirrel head accurate all day long at 25 yards in my Hornet.

I'll never get rid of my22 stuff, but a 9mm carbine is a very attractive option right about now. I can reload 9mm for the price of 22lr [or less].

Boolit Master

I was sort of thinking of selling all of mine the other day. Just no real use for the rifles around where I live and though I have plenty of ammo I never shoot them anymore. I'd much rather plink with a bigger caliber. I'd much rather have my 308 Garand finished than the 22's sitting in the safe unused and all in all unwanted...

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyshome View Post
    I'll never get rid of my22 stuff, but a 9mm carbine is a very attractive option right about now. I can reload 9mm for the price of 22lr [or less].
    The M1-9mm carbine is a fun gun to shoot and ammo is dirt cheap....even com-loaded. I am now back into casting my 138gn NLG slug and PC'ing them.

I got rid of my 9mm during the first big ammo scare 8 years or more back when i couldn't get reloading components for it. Replaced it with a 22 buckmark. Now we cant get ammo for that and it pisses me off. But components came back, and some are gone again (powders). I stop in several stores 2-5 times a week to see what they have. Keep seeing the Win extreme 100 packs for $9.99. Too pricey, stop buying at that and hopefully things settle down.

Also see the 50 rnd boxes quite a bit for $5.99. Again, what a joke.

Finally felt some relief last week, bought my first box of 22 in four years, 323 box for $19.99. Still overpriced, but now I can relax a bit.

I have been seeing more and more of it, and as people stop paying $6 plus for 50...

Primers came back, powders are coming back.

From what I'm seeing here in GB Wisconsin area, 22 is slowly coming back.

Boolit Master
    I think 22's will return some day, not at the same price, but will become more available. I have plenty of ammo, but have not been able to buy any replacement ammo for years. For now, my .223 rifles and center fire handguns take their place for practice like many of us are doing. It's going to take changing a president and some time after that for a 22 recovery to take place. Another Clinton gets in office it could take a generation or more to see a good supply again. I think the supply line here in the west is thinner than you folks living on the east coast. Until the return of a good supply of ammo I'm going to keep them cleaned and oiled in the safe.
    Chris

Now when I go to shoot my .22s (rarely) it just doesnt feel right. I cant fully enjoy myself because I know how hard its going to be to get ammo again so I dont shoot that much.mit used to be go buy a 500 round brick and empty it fast on whatever I wanted. Everytime I used to go to the range I would bring a .22, now its like a special occasion. I shoot more 30-06 than I do .22 now. I have several .22s also that I dearly love. Im hoping if we get a republican president people will calm down and the ammo will be back. Just a few years ago I could go to my walmart at anytime and buy 500 rounds for a little less than $30. Hopefully ammo dods come back because I would love to buy a ruger mkiii.

Boolit Buddy
    I have the equivalent of maybe two bricks accumulated over the years. That will last a while if you only use 22lr to hunt with. My 22cal Weihrauch HW80 air rifle is plenty powerful enough for the squirrels and rabbits I used to hunt with a 22 lr.

I have 2 .22lr, one is an older Ruger 10/22 from back in the mid 70's when they still made them with real walnut stocks. It will still hit a quarter sized target at 100 yards.

The other is a Winchester, Patent says 1890, it is a pump gun, .22 short ONLY. Serial number on the bottom is 126873 one of the real Gallery Guns like those used on Coney Island.

I bought it at an auction for a health sum, and have seen similar guns sell for 3-5,000$ on Gunbroker, but this one has a bit of bubba work on it, so it probably would not bring that.

I don't shoot either one much, but I have no intention of selling either anytime soon.

I have a variety of Single Shot rifles, a SKS and a pair of Mosin's that I can shoot just about as cheap if not cheaper than .22lr with more bang for the buck.

Sell, no, oil carefully, clean, and put away for a decade. Sure, why not?

BTW that old winnie is just about as smooth as butter once I learned how to strip her down, clean her out and put her back together.
    Clickyclick clack and she's ready with another in the pipe. Ohh and yes it shoots and functions correctly, shoots about 2" low and an inch right. And shorts are right pricey lately. She is fun just to pick up and work the action once, give her a little polish and put her away.

Quote Originally Posted by unclebill View Post
    seriously considering selling all my .22s and going all the way with airguns
    modern ones are NOT like the ones from my youth.
    i see 357 caliber rifles that throw a bullet at speeds higher than my 1911 .45acp
    and .22 cal ones that go every bit as fast as a regular .22lr
    in other words
    screw .22lr ammo
    the prices
    AND the scalpers
    i hear you, brother. I've been shooting 30-30 plinker loads, hoping .22 Rimfire prices come down. Apparently, ain't gonna happen. Meanwhile, I REFUSE to buy from scalpels.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    The other is a Winchester, Patent says 1890, it is a pump gun, .22 short ONLY. Serial number on the bottom is 126873 one of the real Gallery Guns like those used on Coney Island.
    Sounds like one of mine.

Octagon barrel?

I've killed quite a few squirrels and crows with that old rifle. It was handed down from my grandfather to my father and then to me after each of their deaths.

Boolit Master

I will never get rid of my 22's. I have a pretty fair amount of ammo and use them when I need to. I have other rifles that I cast for and can shoot them pretty cheap but I have seen the ammo, powder and primer scare occurring over the years and am prepared for whatever comes along and can still shoot something even it it's a flinter. Just roll with the punches.

gmsharps

Boolit Buddy
    I stocked up during the 90s ban. 8.99 a brick on sale. bought 7000 rds. Later bought 2000rds of wolf target at 5.00 a box. I figure Im set and will keep my 22's a while longer. My 22lr is the cheapest ammo I own. I didn't know this was going to happen but Im glad I got prepaired.

Boolit Master
    My grand daughter is going to be getting a rifle in a few years. I have preliminarily settled on a Savage Rascal or possibly a Remington.

Both are 22lr which worries me a bit as I think the prices are not going to come down much further. Does anyone know of a good kids rifle that shoots a reloadable 223? Hornet etc.?

Yes Sir NavyVet, that is her.

Only difference is on the front magazine tube when the parts got worn instead of replacing them they brazed it together.
    So functional but not as pretty.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Winnie.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	139412

Quote Originally Posted by NavyVet1959 View Post
    Sounds like one of mine.

Octagon barrel?

I've killed quite a few squirrels and crows with that old rifle. It was handed down from my grandfather to my father and then to me after each of their deaths.
    Yes Octagonal barrel, the bluing is pretty much gone but it has a pretty nice brown patina on it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast