WidenersSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationLoad DataRepackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Range scrap

Boolit Bub

Range scrap

I was melting some range scrap this last weekend and a casing with a live primer slipped by me. Thankfully there was no bullet, I heard the pop and started running away. Luckily it was facing up and didn't sling any lead around.

A a couple minutes later I found a live .22 round still intact. That one didn't slip by me thankfully.

I ALWAYS keep my pot covered when melting range lead ....

"I heard the pop and started running away" Great escape!

Boolit Bub
    I keep my pot covered also, but I was adding more lead on top of the pile. It was from an indoor range so i wasn't afraid of water being in it.

Boolit Grand Master

Indoor ranges seem to have quite a bit of live ammo in the recovered lead. Its a real issue when melting down to clean up. I always spread it out good on a flat surface before raking it into the pot. Wear appropriate saftey gear glasses hat heavy shirt and pants work boots and keep pot covered as much as possible. Be safe not sorry.

Boolit Grand Master

I started cleaning my range scrap in a cement mixer, with Dawn. Then I spread on the drive, and turn with a rake to dry.
    You'd surprised what some folks just throw down range to get rid of.
    Several times I've found mags or at least parts, and often there are dud rounds.
    They will sure demand your attention, and check your agility.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Attachment 139352

I believe this was a 9mm and that was about 90 lbs on the floor, walls, ceiling ,garage door and roof. Opps .
    Attachment 139353
    through the long sleeve jersey type tee shirt.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Attachment 139352

I believe this was a 9mm and that was about 90 lbs on the floor, walls, ceiling ,garage door and roof. Opps .
    Attachment 139353

That can't be good.
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Mold
    How do you miss a live round in your scrap......Jack Daniels????

Quote Originally Posted by captain-03 View Post
    I ALWAYS keep my pot covered when melting range lead ....
    ^^THIS^^ I had a sim exp, but it was a tire valve stem. I expect some moisture was trapped inside it. But for the lid on it, a significant tinsel fairy visit.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Attachment 139352

Attachment 139353
    It may not seem like like it , but you are very lucky!
    It's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years (Abe Lincoln)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.” George Washington

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I'm well aware of how lucky I was that day . The problem was that the range scrap had been hand sorted but had set for a month to close to the bench, that has been resolved the casting area and loading spaces are on opposite sides of a 40x60 .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

I might have had the same thing happen to me recently on my first smelt.

I was weighing out my range scrap that I pick off the top of the berm when I found a live 9mm round I must have picked off ground to reclaim the lead and case. I was like holy **** that coulda been bad. It was so dirty from the other scrap I almost missed it.

Last time I smelted range scrap, I found 3 fired 22's, an enormous bolt, and a wing nut that was too small for the bolt. This was in 70#, so it wasn't really much, but just a little strange.
    "It is wrong always, everywhere, and for everyone to believe anything on insufficient evidence."
    -W. K. Clifford "The Ethics of Belief"

"They hate you if you're clever, and they despise a fool."
    -John Lennon "A Working Class Hero"

Boolit Buddy
    Dirt and pulverized lead = two things in range scrap that I am concerned with. I am thinking of washing the RS in my rotary separator(for separating stainless steel media from cartridge cases) this should separate dirt, lead dust and plywood scraps from the bullet scraps and jackets.
    My concern here is : "Is it safe to pour this lead dust containing water onto the ground at my house?"
    Rocky
    NRA Lifetime member since 1956, NRA Endowment Member. Reloading since 1954. CBA Member Navy Vietnam Veteran USS Intrepid CVA 11

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rockydoc View Post
    Dirt and pulverized lead = two things in range scrap that I am concerned with. I am thinking of washing the RS in my rotary separator(for separating stainless steel media from cartridge cases) this should separate dirt, lead dust and plywood scraps from the bullet scraps and jackets.
    My concern here is : "Is it safe to pour this lead dust containing water onto the ground at my house?"
    Rocky
    Lead came from the ground but I'm sure the Tree Huggers would have a fit. So do you want to piss off a Tree Hugger?
    Lead bullets Matter

There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves. - Will Rodgers

Boolit Grand Master

Take it back to the range and put it back where the contaminates came from. Or like above, add some natural fertilizer, and water a tree hugers trees.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by mold maker View Post
    Take it back to the range and put it back where the contaminates came from. Or like above, add some natural fertilizer, and water a tree hugers trees.
    I think extra fertilizer is needed to get th lead buried deep, at least 6 inches.
    Lead bullets Matter

Boolit Buddy
    After having sorted three five gallon buckets totaling just short of 450 lbs, I ended up with about a gallon of sand. I'm in Florida where the berms are sand so you can do most of your sifting at the range pretty quickly and not bring much home. That said, I'll not be dumping this on my lawn where it can leech into my well. Will it hurt anything? Doubt it. But I'd rather put it in a bucket, put a lid on it and next range trip just dump it back on the berm before I commence to mining. No sense in having that on the lawn, washing into the drainage or sewer of you can prevent it.

Quote Originally Posted by Debo View Post
    How do you miss a live round in your scrap......Jack Daniels????
    Trolling?
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast