WidenersTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Repackbox PBcastco
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hakim 8mm cast bullet load?

Boolit Master
    It was an interesting rifle, made Garand thumb seem mild tho. I got a really nice one at an auction, no issues with a frozen gas regulator or anything. Didn't work well at first, broken firing pin. Parts are not exactly easy to find for them. Couple extra extractors since they are known to break them. Now that I load for that caliber and cast, a little wish I had kept it. But not enough I regret selling it.

my Haikim shoots the lee 175 Great over 35 Grn of 3031 it shoots the brass out to about the moon on open setting.... it is good enough for clays at 100 yards

Just a story about developing more or less light loads...
    With the FN49 was starting light to work upwards to get a functioning jack rabbit ack-ack load.
    Too light means that the bolt didn't slam back hard enough. So, the bolt went back, picked up the next round and slam fired them because the rearward impulse had not been forceful enough to cock the action even though the action cycled.
    Not saying the Hakim would do this but just saying it's a little bit of weirdness to remember with semi-autos.
    My better 2/3's surely remembers because she was spotting on the right side!

Banned
    Well, I tried out my new mold, and it's dropping at a whopping 257grs! I'm glad I got the Karabiner and not the Maximum. There's no telling what that would drop at. That should be a really good bullet for deer.

Super Moderator

............I have a Hakim. What you have to do is alter the recoil spring.

It will need a fairly healthy load, and one of 21.0 grs of 4198 and a 170 slug won't make it. But a heavier slug (200gr +) and a charge of a medium burn rate and a lighter operating spring setup will get you where you want to go.

If you have replacements you may alter the factory springs.

I also have a Swedish Ag42B but the above recommendations didn't seem to work out so wonderful for it, but it's an equine of a different hue, so to speak

..............Buckshot
    Father Grand Caster watches over you my brother. Go now and pour yourself a hot one. May the Sacred Silver Stream be with you always

Proud former Shooters.Com Cast Bullet alumnus and plank owner.

"The Republic can survive a Barack Obama, who is, after all, merely a fool. It is less likely to survive a multitude of fools such as those who made him their president."

Shrink the State End the Fed Balance the budget Make a profit Leave an inheritance

Banned
    Well, I finally got a little time to play around in the shop and see If I could get that old warhorse shooting cast. I wasn't able to put a lot of rounds through it, but what I did put through it looks very promising. I ended up settling for 28gr of IMR4350 for that 257gr bullet, and it was cycling the gun reliably. The brass showed no pressure signs at that charge, and astonishingly, the gun no longer dents brass like it used to. It dents them less than an AR-15 dents .223. The brass went about 10-15 feet and that was it. Oh, and that bullet smacks the target with some serious authority.

I had the gas system set for my jacketed reloads, so I don't even have to mess with that anymore!

Thanks fellas for all the advice.

Boolit Master
    They are generally overgased like alot of weapons. I was concerned cast loads wouldn't cycle my CETME, works like it made to run them. Cases don't get dinged like they used to and don't go near as far.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by quickdraw66 View Post
    I'm trying to work up a load for my Hakim 8mm Mauser, but I cannot seem to get one that reliably cycles the gun. Even with loads that are a little warmer than I'd like with cast bullets.

The bullet I'm using is the LEE 175gr LRN, and the gas system on the gun is wide open. What are you Hakim owners using?
    I know this is an old thread so forgive the bump but I wanted to add my load that cycles my Hakim just fine on the lowest gas setting:

Powder coated 205gr .329 Lee sized to .324
    28gr to 29gr Reloader 7 @ 2.920"

Boolit Master

This thread popping up from the distant past is only a reminder that I am going on 20-25 (maybe 30) years of owning one and having never fired it.
    I get it out to sell and then realize it kinda feels like a M-14 in my hands and put it back in the safe with plans to "shoot it one day" after all what better way to get rid of that factory ammo sitting there.
    Amendments
    The Second there to protect the First!

TC, you are missing out! The Hakim is a blast to shoot. Double up on hearing protection because that muzzle brake is loud. I've had two, both were very accurate with good ammo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In Remembrance

Reading all of this threads comments got me to thinking that I have both a G and a K-43 German semi auto 8mm sitting in my safe and me thinking `I should try making a load for them`? Any thoughts for my G/K 43`s?Robert

Quote Originally Posted by Hardcast416taylor View Post
    Reading all of this threads comments got me to thinking that I have both a G and a K-43 German semi auto 8mm sitting in my safe and me thinking `I should try making a load for them`? Any thoughts for my G/K 43`s?Robert
    Robert, check the values of those two. Then decide what to do. They are worth a lot. I have shot two K43s in my life and both were very accurate with FNM Portugese ball ammo.

In Remembrance

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Robert, check the values of those two. Then decide what to do. They are worth a lot. I have shot two K43s in my life and both were very accurate with FNM Portugese ball ammo.

Back in the `60`s I worked with another plumber that brought a tricked out sniper version of a K 43 home from the war. He used to brag about the 300 + yd. shots he pulled on Mule deer out west with it. I realise both of mine are worth more than $5 each, but was still curious about putting cast thru them. The last loads I put thru them was reloads of FMJ pull downs and put up again in WW brass probably 20 or so years back.Robert

It would be interesting to see what minimum levels are required to function the K43 roller lock gas piston system as compared to the direct impingement rear locking Hakim system.

I find that W748 is a great powder to use in anything 8mm. I haven't tried cast out of my Hakim yet but I know that with a 200 grain FMJ about 41-42 grains of 748 does the trick.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12