Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision

Thread: laminate kitchen knife handle refinish

Boolit Master

laminate kitchen knife handle refinish

I have some laminate wooden knife handles that were not properly cared for. They are Chefco brand from the 70's and are good quality. What would be the best way to refinish/reseal these handles? They are not cracking shrinking or coming loose. I was thinking about sanding then waxing but am not sure what to use/ do.
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Moderator Emeritus

sand and seal with butcher block oil... or a good marine varnish

Banned
    I use several coats of boiled linseed oil on my knife grips. Don't let them it in dishwater! Wash, rinse, and dry them after use. I use Green Rivers for all my kitchen work, as well as for my hunting knives, inexpensive and good.

laminate usually means phenolic impregnated ,aka wonderwood/diamond wood/etc ,usually birch with some color added and the resin
    there isnt much that will actually refinish it persay , most any light oil ( even bacon grease ) will soak into the worn spots a wee bit ,lacking butcherblock oil mineral oil will work and be food safe , so will crisco , keep in mind that most oil finishes need a bit of elbow grease eg; rubbing the heck out of it , not sure i'd sand it unless really bad ( tends to scratch the rivets ) , steel wool and then buff it perhaps ( with a close colored compound ) followed by oil of choice ( or whatever's handy ) and more rubbing :P
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned
    Give them a decent sanding with progressively finer grit sandpaper, and finish up with an oil finish. That's the easiest way. Try to use an oil that is food safe. While this is not imperative since the wood shouldn't come into much contact with the food, it's still a good precaution. Butcher Block Oil, or Mineral Oil are good choices. I would do one of those and finish up with either Bees Wax or Carnauba Wax to make the finish a little more water resistant. The good thing about an oil finish is that they are easy to repair. The bad thing is, they are not very water resistant at all. The wax will help that a bit. Just don't soak them for awhile or throw them in the dish washer.

Do not use anything with varnish in it. Some oil finishes have varnish added to them to make them tougher. That's fine for furniture, but not for something that will come into contact with food. Varnishes can have some nasty chemicals in them. Minwax Tung Oil Finish is just one that comes to mind.

Here's a guide to help you pick a finish.

http://www.cuttingboard.com/blog/wha...cutting-board/

Boolit Master
    JPW or mineral oil. Peanut oil is also a good choice.
    NRA Endowment Member

Armed people don't march into gas chambers.

Moderator Emeritus

And no sharp knives should ever go in the dishwasher. They get banged around and it dulls them.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    And no sharp knives should ever go in the dishwasher. They get banged around and it dulls them.
    Actually Mary, its the changes in heat that does most of the dulling of a sharp knife. If this truly is phenolytic impregnated wood all it really needs is a good polish. There is no finish needed for plastics.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Grand Master

Dishwashers are hard on sharp knives but changes in the heat from dishwashers has zero effect on the edges. Home dishwashers operate in the 130 to 170 range. The water with the detergent is abrasive and the normal banging around does the most damage to the edge.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-14-2015 at 02:45 PM.

Boolit Master
    If the handles are a hardwood, coconut oil is one of the few oils that won't go rancid.
    A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms *shall not be infringed*.

"The greatest danger to American freedom is a government that ignores the Constitution."
    - Thomas Jefferson

"While the people have property, arms in their hands, and only a spark of noble spirit, the most corrupt Congress must be mad to form any project of tyranny."
    - Rev. Nicholas Collin, Fayetteville Gazette (N.C.), October 12, 1789