Lee PrecisionWidenersReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BFR: 7.5" or 10" 500SW

Boolit Bub

BFR: 7.5" or 10" 500SW

I currently own and shoot two s&w x-frame 500sw: one 4" and the other the 10.5".
    With the help of several helpful folks in another forum, I have reloaded successfully and have been shooting the 500sw ever since 2-3 years ago.

Lately, I am itching to get the MagnumResearch BFR so, here are the questions:
    • I am wondering which one is better : 7.5" or 10"
    • Is the BFR inherently accurate straight out of the factory?
    • Is the frame and cylinder forged?
    • Is the trigger as good as the X-frame S&W PC gun?

My application is range shooting and hunting ... and ... occasional zombies killing

Let me hear your thoughts.

Thanks a bunch!
    Last edited by arthury; 05-11-2015 at 10:20 AM. Reason: organize questions
    Art Y.
    Don't ever forget Sept. 11

Banned

7-1/2" might do it. Big case, lot of powder so it does need some barrel length. I like the long ones, gun is so huge I don't notice the length, shoulder holster.
    Most will need some trigger work, they are like a Ruger. Just a little work and they slick right up.
    Only one I did not have to touch was the custom shop, perfect out of box.
    BFR's need no other work, shoot cast right off. A few of mine have never seen those funny bullets.

I prefer the 7.5" because they measure from the front of them frame so length wise it feels like an 8.5" which was plenty long enough for me. The 10.5" is really 11.5" which was too long for me. That is just personal preference. For me with the 10.5 it just felt like there was way too much barrel out front.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Banned

My barrel is 10" from the frame and 10-11/16" from the cylinder.

Was that a custom shop one? The one I measure was almost 11.5 from the cylinder.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the responses so far ...
    Any bad experiences with heavy loads cracking frame or cylinders?

I heard that the grips of the BFR cracks easily. Is this true?
    Last edited by arthury; 05-11-2015 at 11:48 AM.
    Art Y.

I shoot 454 Casull in mine pushing a 255grn bullet at over 1,750fps with an H110 load that is published spec from Oregon Trail for their cast bullets but it doesn't have pressure listed for it in their data just fps. If I extrapolate other H110 data that I have that load is probably between 40,000cup and 50,000cup as a guess and I have never had any problems with it other than it hurts to shoot very many of them. Hearsay wise I have never heard of a BFR having any heavy load issues.

The grips are a flexible rubber Uncle Mike's type grip. I have a hard time believing they would crack but I guess I can only give my personal experience which is no I have never had one crack on me.
    Last edited by Cornbread; 05-11-2015 at 02:02 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    Was that a custom shop one? The one I measure was almost 11.5 from the cylinder.
    No, store bought. 45-70.
    Last edited by 44man; 05-11-2015 at 12:54 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far ...
    Any bad experiences with heavy loads cracking frame or cylinders?

I heard that the grips of the BFR cracks easily. Is this true?
    Grips are Uncle Mikes and will last until your middle finger wears it. You break a BFR frame you will be loading Plastic explosives. It must be the strongest revolver ever made. Ruger's Pine Tree casts all parts. Ruger and MR have a relationship second to none but BFR's have badger, hand lapped barrels and better dimensions.

If everything works out as planned I will be getting a 7.5" 45-70 one in the next few months and I already have the 454 one. I can let you know if there are any major differences between the two that I don't care for etc. There were only two things on my BFR 454 I didn't care for, the trigger was heavy and needed a small fix to make it lighter. That took about five minutes with some instruction from folks on this site on how to do it, and the front site on mine was too tall by a ways. It was aluminum so it took like a fraction of a minute to fix that with a grinder.

Other than that I can honestly say it is the best or tied with the best magnum revolver I have ever owned and I have quite a number of magnums from various makers.

For me the only factory revolver that is its equal is a Freedom Arms revolver and those cost a lot more and in 454 they don't have a model that can be carried on a full cylinder like a BFR can because they don't make a 97 in 454 Casull. The Freedom Arms definitely has the upper hand on the looks even though they are both beautiful guns. I think with some pretty wood grips the BFR would give it a run for its money though. The biggest plus with the BFR though is that I can buy almost 3 of them for the price of one FA.

Banned

Good keep us informed. I have good loads depending on your boolit choice.

Boolit Master

Cornbread, they do look nicer with some good wood grips. Recoil is fine with them too, don't buy into the bunk about them over rotating, it just isn't so.

Banned

Fine looking grips. My only problem is my big knuckle fills the space behind the guard. Not as bad as a SBH guard, must be the worst for me. Sometimes it is more fun to put my hand on a bench and hit my knuckle with a hammer!
    It is the reason I don't make wood panels for mine.

Quote Originally Posted by 44man View Post
    Fine looking grips. My only problem is my big knuckle fills the space behind the guard. Not as bad as a SBH guard, must be the worst for me. Sometimes it is more fun to put my hand on a bench and hit my knuckle with a hammer!
    This is the reason I don't shoot single action revolvers without aftermarket grips that move my hand down the grip. Even then there is usually a little of the trigger guard getting my knuckle.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    This is the reason I don't shoot single action revolvers without aftermarket grips that move my hand down the grip. Even then there is usually a little of the trigger guard getting my knuckle.
    So, are you guys saying that even with the factory Pachmayr rubberized grip, it's still a problem?
    It's almost saying that you need a smaller grip to accommodate the large knuckles?
    Art Y.

My brother has ape knuckles too as I call them to tease him and has this problem. So does one of my best friends. Bisley grips or grips that move their knuckle below or further from the guard work great for them. For me I don't suffer from Neanderthal paw syndrome so Blackhawk grips fit my smaller hands really well, whereas for my brother and friend they hate them. For my brother the standard BFR grip works just fine because it's large enough that his knuckles don't end up right behind the guard but with my 45 Colt Blackhawk with standard cheese grater grips he has problems. For him he says the the BFR is the most comfortable and accurate revolver he's ever shot and he has massive hands.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by arthury View Post
    So, are you guys saying that even with the factory Pachmayr rubberized grip, it's still a problem?
    It's almost saying that you need a smaller grip to accommodate the large knuckles?
    No, the rubber grips fill in behind the guard. Keeps the knuckle lower. Mine is huge from a lifetime of archery, all bow weight is mostly held by that finger. Hand size not as important as long as it feels good. I can't shoot a bisley for the same reason. They have less space.
    The BFR is a joy to shoot with the rubber grips. I never feel them.

Boolit Master

The frame will not break. Period. You might break transfer bars, shear ejector rod screws, lose front sights, etc over time and many thousands of rounds assuming you shoot heavies like I do. But never the frame or grip frame or cylinder. Never. The cylinder and the frame are tanks.

All I am gonna say about the grips is a counterpoint to 44man. I hate the grips. rub my hand raw. I put the tao ferro grips on, couldn't be happier. Now, a good buddy of mine, he LOVED shooting my BFR. Loved the gun. Then I put the pao ferro grips on it, he refuses to shoot it now. So itmight be like plowhandle vs bisley. Either in one camp or the other.

Banned

Hand strength is the reason. You need a tight enough grip so rubber does not skid. I can run 100 .500 JRH's a session without a mark on my palm. Rubber can peel skin for sure.
    But remember smooth grips can let a gun rotate so it still needs held proper.
    I remember Whitworth being here with his DR in .50 Alaskan. Bisley grips of polished Micarta, nice looking but I would not shoot it. No glove on earth was enough. He split his head wide open but is tough enough to keep shooting. I knew better.
    Long ago we shot 29's double action at tires rolled down a hill with cardboard in the tires. I would have checkered palms, funny to see those marks but we did not hurt from it.
    The secret to revolver shooting is to never have your hand hold change from recoil.

Boolit Master

With the pao ferro grips I can shoot 130+ 460 rounds without palm issues. Most range sessions are somewhat fewer than 130 rounds though. But for a time 130 was not a-typical.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast