Lee PrecisionWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scopeing a 43 Spanish Rolling lock

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    The ramp part of the base is flat were it lays over the round receiver of the Rolling Block. I used a needle file and in 5 minutes took off the little needed to allow the scope to fit over this area.
    Now that I have one, I see that the flat part impinges on the front of the receiver. Tomorrow I'll take off the excess and try again.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    Now that I have one, I see that the flat part impinges on the front of the receiver. Tomorrow I'll take off the excess and try again.
    Now you see why I used a needle file.

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, Several years ago, I had a local gunsmith that was very experienced with working on Martini action rifles, mostly Cadet ones, rebarrel a cadet Martini action to 22 hornet. Had him scope the rifle too. He preferred to use a Leupold mount for a 7400 Remington, tapping the barrel to install it. Works just fine. Might be a mount you can use for a .43 Spanish/1879 Argentine RB.

Quote Originally Posted by Huffmanite View Post
    FWIW, Several years ago, I had a local gunsmith that was very experienced with working on Martini action rifles, mostly Cadet ones, rebarrel a cadet Martini action to 22 hornet. Had him scope the rifle too. He preferred to use a Leupold mount for a 7400 Remington, tapping the barrel to install it. Works just fine. Might be a mount you can use for a .43 Spanish/1879 Argentine RB.
    Might be possible, but the idea is to be able to install a scope with out hurting the rifle. No drilling, tapping etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ohland View Post
    How is working for you?

Cast the muzzle this morning. Bore is pristine. Turned the sight so it was round part to front, flat to back. Rocks a little. Perhaps I'm not understanding the radius here. If the base radius is bigger, it should rock on a smaller barrel. Found some supposed diameters for the 39a, and they vary some, but @ .800 near the breech is common. I need to take some diameter measurements just before the octagonal part of the barrel, at the muzzle, then get the length. I can figure out taper...

Or I could measure the barrel diameter close to the front of where it would be, and then mill the round underside to slightly smaller diameter, then the base should not rock. I need to go to Ace Hardware for some 10-32 x .25" screws.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

Quote Originally Posted by brstevns View Post
    No! to make up for this I pressed in a ring of 14ga dead soft brass wire (super glued in Place) into the extractor groove of the Mag brass.
    Saw that someone used a spiral ring on a rimless case (I dimly remember) to make the rim bigger. Forget the case, but the spiral ring was the "RS-50" model and it was from http://www.spirolox.com/
    Last edited by ohland; 05-20-2015 at 12:56 PM.
    Belle, Belle, Belle!
    Purty Gu-ur-url!

On an island in a lake in a rainforest of liberals
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Remington rolling block no 5 1905 or 1910 5-25-2015.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	40.2 KB 
ID:	140347

I got this Rem rolling block No.5 1905 or 1910 from a guy at a gun show. Neither of us knew what caliber or cartridge. I see now it looks like a Douglas barrel 38 special. The two Weaver mounts are #11s.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12