WidenersRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: Range session with Type 56 SKS, part III

Range session with Type 56 SKS, part III

May 7 had to be the best range session I've had with the SKS and the repurposed 8 x 57mm CB's (sized to .3155") and 8, 8.8, and 9.3gr. Unique*. In short, the 8.8gr. load put 10 shots @ 50 yd. into a 0.05" x 2.06" group, with 5 in the size of a [U.S] nickel and 6 into a quarter. 8.0gr. Unique went into a 0.05" x 2.50" group, with a nickel covering 4 of the 10. While mild enough, the 9.3gr. group was the largest @ .38" x 2.75": probably won't try this again. Btw, these groups were visibly smaller than those obtained when using the Lee Factory Crimp Die. Forgot to add, the target shown is 3" x 3".

I've also attached a pic of the resized Lee ~175gr. SPGC CB and the new NOE ~160gr. SPGC CB, which was discolored as a result of lapping out a Lee PT sizer die.

Just for laughs, I also tried the Lee 30-150-TL as cast over 5- and 6gr. Hodgson Clays (2 10 shot groups @ 50 yd.). Not knowing where the 5gr. load would hit, I foolishly as it turned out, raised the rear sight 1 "click:" Not good! Lowering it, the remaining 5 shots went into a .2 x 1.5" group, which is excellent considering the 30-150-TL wasn't designed with the SKS in mind. I.e., it seems to perform as well in the SKS as it does in my .30-06 and M 39 Finn. Nagant. The 6gr. load was almost as good, but a flyer (probably my doing) opened it to .20" x 3.88" Without that bad boy, the group was .20" x 2.0". Some bore leading with the 6gr. load.

*The odd charge weights are what my Lyman pistol powder rotors drop. Once you determine what ea. rotor drops with a given powder, it is most reliable.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0167.jpg   DSCN0178.jpg  

Maven, Did you lap out your molds to get them to drop .3155"+?

Yodog..., Not the molds, but the RCBS sizing die. I.e., as a consequence of sizing the .324" Lee CB pictured [on the left] in post #1, my Lee .314" PT sizing die became enlarged...to .3155", which my SKS seems to love. I lapped the .314" RCBS die to match it in case I want to lube CB's conventionally. The other CB is the new NOE 316-160GC that I rec'd. the other day. It casts ~.317", btw.

Smile

Prior to purchasing the NOE 316-160 mold pictured above, I was using a Lee 175-SPGC mold intended for the 8mm Mau., but resized to .3155" for my Type 56 SKS. While the Lee CB was accurate enough, it was tiresome to size it down from .3245" -> .3155". The new NOE 316-160-SPGC is easier to deal with as it only needs to be sized from .317" -> .3155", and is a 4 cavity, so I get 4x more CB's than the Lee.

Today was the first test of the NOE CB with what has almost become my "go to" powder for that rifle, namely Alliant Unique.* Accuracy was quite good, but there's room for improvement mostly because I was shooting over my chronograph and I find it somewhat difficult to concentrate on both the target and the chrono. My standard loads are 8.0-, 8.8-, and 9.3gr.** (not tested today) of Unique as recommended by C.E. Harris (8 - 10gr. actually, but 10gr. -> difficult extraction in my SKS):

Lee 175gr. CB resized to .3155" & 2.10" OAL + 8.8gr. Unique -> 1,281 +- 13 fps

NOE 164gr. CB @ .3155" & 2.215" OAL = 8.8gr. Unique -> 1,322 +- 3 fps (8.0gr. -> 1,254 +-21 fps)

Thus far I'm extremely pleased with how quickly I received the mold, with how well it casts, and with the accuracy of the CB's it drops!

P.S. I had difficulty getting chrono. readings even with the sky screens even though I had 20 rounds of some loads. E.g. the 8.8 gr. Unique & the NOE 316-160-SPGC data was based on 3 recorded readings instead of 15 or 20.

*Unique and Blue Dot (not yet tested) are the only powders I have on hand which are suitable for the SKS. None of the loads I tested will operate the action, btw.

**I use a Lyman pistol powder measure with interchangeable rotors, hence the odd charge weights.
    Modify message

Boolit Buddy
    Maven,

I am following your posts here with great interest, as I have a Yugo 59/66A1 that I will be working up loads for this summer. Thanks for posting your detailed results. I am also using that 175g Lee bullet currently, but in a Yugoslav M48A Mauser. It seems to work well.

None of your loads work the action/eject the brass on your SKS--is that correct? 8mmFan

8mmFan, That's right, none of these loads have operated the action. Moreover, the [C.E. Harris] recommended top end load of 10gr. Unique, didn't operate the action either + I had difficulty opening the bolt as well (didn't chrono. those). Btw, 13.5 - 15.0grs. WC 820 (AA #9 burn rate) or 14 - 15gr. 2400 did operate the action on another Type 56 I once owned. Unfortunately, I don't have either of those or any other powder suitable for the SKS on hand and am dubious about trying 4350 or worse, 7383, in it. Btw, you may need to go to 16gr., which is a MAX. charge, to operate the Yugo's action.

With the faster powders, it's tough to get them to work the action on a Yugo SKS. Unless you're OK with running at maximum pressures. Both Reloader 7 and IMR 4895 will cycle my Yugo's bolts and give good accuracy. They'll be the first that I try with the new NOE Harris designed boolit.

Hey Maven, Pats Reloading has surplus WC844 in stock, think that would work? I really didn't like the "surplus" price on it!

"Hey Maven, Pats Reloading has surplus WC844 in stock, think that would work? I really didn't like the "surplus" price on it!"

Thanks for the tip, Yodog....! I'll take a look soon. However, I think I'd be happier with something like 4198 or RL-7 or even 2400 if I should be fortunate enough to find it. These days I suppose availability of the milsurps, not price, makes it
    attractive.

Btw, I hope to do some further testing of the NOE 316-160SPGC today. Too sunny for a chronograph though.

Boolit Buddy
    Awesome results. What number is stamped on your SKS front sight?

To my best recollection, the armorers would stamp 1 thru 5, with 5 being the least accurate, and 1 being the most accurate.

Not sure if this is true for all makers, but the Russians did this with theirs.

Andy
    Check out my vendors section:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/forumdisplay.php?231-Andy-s-Slow-Rust-Blue

"As democracy is perfected, the office of the President represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day, the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last and the White House will be occupied by a downright fool and complete narcissistic moron."
    H.L. Mencken

Andy, The Type 56 is a Chinese SKS and mine has no markings on or around the front sight. Btw, all no's. match and apparently was unfired when I got it last month. (I've changed that though!).

I'm attaching a target I fired an hour ago @ 50 yd. using the NOE 316-160-SPGC bullet I wrote about previously. The powder & charge were 9.3gr. Unique with that CB sized to .3155" and seated to 2.215" OAL with NO [Lee] factory crimp applied. I also used WLR standard primers. As for the target, what you see is 14 shots. The red dot is 1" in diameter while each side of the "diamond" is 3".

I should also add that this lot of NOE 316's was sized and lubed conventionally in my RCBS LAM II instead of the Lee Push Through [sizing] die. I lapped it and the RCBS H & I die, which was originally .314" to .3155".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0179.jpg