Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingInline FabricationWideners
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: LEE Loader: Buying used kits, to use or collect.

Boolit Buddy

LEE Loader: Buying used kits, to use or collect.

Anatomy of the LEE Loader Kit:

The caliber selection for LEE Loaders today is a fraction of the numerous calibers once listed. And if your caliber wasn’t listed, LEE would gladly build you a custom set. LEE Loaders were offered for shotgun as well. Shotgun LEE Loaders were also available in a deluxe set, and they made loading less of a chore. The deluxe set was a good upgrade. The instruction sheet with my 458 Win Mag kit listed 110 available sizes. Today, the list is fairly short:

See Thumbnails.

The extensive list tells me, in its heyday, these were a popular loading tool. The LEE Loader was in direct competition with the Lyman (Ideal) 310 tool. I’ve used both, they both do the job, and for me, personal preference is the determining factor as to which works better. They both neck size only (there are exceptions), the LEE Loader has a powder measure and load table which the 310 lacks, and the LEE Loader was a bunch cheaper. I classify the LEE Loader as a gateway tool, using it will inevitably leads to buying a press, and a bunch of other reloading equipment. As evidence of this, a lot of the tables at gun shows have a small or fairly large stack of used LEE Loaders in one corner. There is usually someone looking at or in one of the kits, sometimes shaking their heads and putting them back in the pile. The odd one gets sold. For a while $12 would buy any set, and lately I've seen them listed even cheaper.

At the last gun show I attended, I noticed a stack on one table. I recognized the vendor, I try not to miss any of our local shows and I rent a table every couple of years to de-clutter the safe and reloading room. In the pile I spied a LEE Loader shotgun kit, but upon opening it, I noticed mostly mismatched tools, 410, 12 and some other not easily identifiable pieces. I opened another box and it also had a few blank slots. I looked up and started chatting with the vendor. A little friendly banter, "most of the sets were incomplete", "he used to have about 80 for sale", and "these were the last of them". Then he looks at me and says, I’m getting sick and tired of lugging these from show to show, do you want the bunch, they’re all yours for $20. Hard to say no, so I walked out with a bag of LEE Loaders, most in cardboard boxes, but some in plastic as well.

They were an eclectic mix of various kits, with a lot of missing pieces. The shotgun box had the 12 gauge decapper that my set was missing. I didn’t have a box for my kit, this box was in decent shape, and the paperwork was intact, including the load chart. I completed the kit, listed it on our local boards and sold it within days. I've seen these kits go for $100 +, but to me that’s just silly, so I put it at $45, and it was sold.

The leftovers needed some sorting, to see what I had, and to see what was missing. My discontinued calibers included a 244 Rem/6 mm kit, a 222 kit, a 300 Weatherby kit and 2 kits for 220 Swift. I also have a 458 Win Mag kit, left over from the sale of my rifle, about 30 years ago. The current kits were in 308 Win, 223, 38 Spl/357 Mag. I also had a pair of 45 ACP kits that I’ll make into one complete kit. I used one of the 220 Swift kits to make a second 308 Win kit.

LEE sells parts for the current kits, but parts for discontinued kits, not so much. The critical caliber specific parts are the “body” and the decapping chamber. The engineering behind the LEE Loader is interesting; I made a spreadsheet of the major parts for the rifle kits and for the pistol kits. The body is a 2 piece assembly, and they are not made to come apart. I’ve taken one apart by heating to break the bonding compound first. I examined the parts and re-assembled them with loctite. I was in touch with LEE, asking if there was any adjustment or if the were assembled tight. The answer I got back was that the threaded piece is solidly seated on the shoulder machined in the die body, and that the assembly is permanent. Therefore no adjustment is needed for proper sizing. I usually place a nice piece of hardwood on the case head and hammer in the case until flush. The decapping chamber has to be matched to the body. The depth of the decapping chamber is roughly equal to the length of the neck on the cartridge case. This is by design, so when you fill the case with powder, it all ends up in the case. There is some part sharing with the decapping chambers, for example the 270 and 30-06 share the same decapping chamber. Following the instructions is important, it all works better when you do.

Knowing that the decapping chamber is made to match certain calibers is handy to know, it gives me a way to measure the decapping chamber and confirm the one in the kit is the one that belongs there. The decap chamber in the 220 Swift kit is app 0.30” deep, and doesn’t match any of the current parts. LEE uses 2 numbers to reference their decapping chambers, xx-xx, the first xx is the group code or base diameter family, and the second xx is the depth. LEE now lists 13 different decap chambers for LEE Loader kits.

See Thumbnails.

As you can see from the chart, there are 5 groups; 71, 72, 73, 74, and 76. Group 71 includes the 30-06 family, cartridges with a base diameter close to .473”. Group 72 applies to calibers with a base diameter similar to the 223, 22 Hornet and 30 M1 Carbine. Group 73 applies to calibers with a base diameter similar to the 7mm Rem Mag and 303 British. Group 74 applies to calibers with a base diameter similar to the 30/30, 44 Mag and 45 ACP. Group 76 applies to calibers with a base diameter similar to the 7.62x54R and 45/70. There is some depth selection amongst the groups.

Is it possible to make yourself a LEE Loader kit for a wildcat or discontinued caliber? Yes and No. There is some flexibility, options in parts, but unless you can locate the correct “body” and its decap chamber, it’s better left to a custom order from LEE.

I’ve owned more than a dozen LEE Loaders, I believe only one of the sets was new, and about half were complete. New LEE Loader kits are still cheap; I’d recommend staying away from the used kits. The used kits may be incomplete, may contain the incorrect pieces, the pieces may be damaged and the load chart may be obsolete. If you have an old kit, and it needs a few things, the good news is LEE sell parts, and most of the parts are inexpensive. For a bit over $2 plus shipping you can have a new powder measure and load chart for your old set. A new decapper is $4, (this part can break) and a bullet seater is $3 (this part can get damaged).

On the other hand, buying and collecting these old sets is a pretty cheap hobby, and fun. I sell the odd set so I can buy more, such is the collecting habit. I load a shell with the kit before I sell it to make sure all is good. I don't use any of my kits for loading ammunition, I have presses and dies, nuff said. I also have a drawer full of 310 dies, a tong tool and a Tru-Line Jr press that I don't use for loading.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails LEE Loader Rifle.jpg   LEE Loader list.jpg   LEE Decap Chamber.JPG   LEE Loader list 2015.JPG   LEE Loader Pistol.jpg  

LEE Part Rifle.jpg   LEE Parts Pistol.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I started reloading in 1972 with one of these kits. 6mm/.244 Rem. I was only 16, and had little money, but the kit worked great for many years. I wish that I still had it and the Rem 788 that those reloads went through.

Boolit Buddy
    Mine was a 94 in 32 Win Spl and my first LEE Loader, only I'm glad they are gone. LOL

Boolit Master

Good post maybe this one is in line for a sticky lots of information sharing
    Thank-you
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

Boolit Grand Master

Back in the woods a piece, just outside Auburn, AL.
    Nice post. I only have three Lee Loaders...... 38/357, 270, and 308NM.
    KE4GWE - - - - - - Colt 1860, it just feels right.

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the excellent post.
    EDG

Boolit Master
    started out with lee loaders in 38, 357, 45 long colt, and 30-30. Still got 'em, plus a few others. Wouldn't trade em for the world.

GoodOlBoy
    Yes I can be long winded. Yes I follow rabbit trails. Yes I admit when I am wrong. Your mileage may vary.

Keep your powder dry. Watch yer Top knot.

"Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!"

Yes there were "Short" 45 Colts! http://www.leverguns.com/articles/taylor/45_short_colt.htm

Boolit Buddy
    I started on one of these as well in .270 Win. when I was about 15.

Boolit Grand Master
    I've got most of a 45-70 set, most of a 38 Spl set and a few other odds and ends. I think I got most of a 410 shotgun set at a fund raiser auction my gun club had a few years ago as well. I really need to either finish the sets or get rid of all of that stuff since I really use the 310 tools and full size dies more often.

I do have several complete sets of the Mequon labeled "improved" sets with the red plastic priming tools... I bought them from Dixie Gun Works about 30 years ago, IIRC. Maybe I should complete my 45-70 set since all it needs is a decapping rod, a powder dipper and the paperwork.

"You can't have it all... if you did, where would you put it?"

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Good post!

I currently only have two of the older Lee sets. Both were new old stock - the first I picked up was for 38 Special - figured it would be nice to have since I load a lot of that caliber. In reality, I'll probably use it once "just to say I've cone it" as I have the 310 tool as well as my normal die sets. The second one I added was a vintage 32-20 (32 WCF) set that was also NOS - I ran across it by "luck" and at a really cheap price so grabbed it as I will be adding a 32-20 pistol at some point in the future and already have the dies, brass, molds. etc.

i well remember the Lee sets from the early 1960s but never bought one then as I was pretty much shooting BP rifle and shotgun for target and hunting and stuck with that until a few years ago when I got interested in the "new fangled cartridge guns".

I can easily see how the vintage Lee sets would be fun to collect - not much different than the Lyman 310 "addiction" and the Lee sets can be picked up at a reasonable price. I don't have 310 die sets for all the calibers that I reload but I think it would be nice to have a Lee set for the calibers that I do. In my case, they might not get a lot of use but they are compact and can easily be used anywhere. They certainly have been popular over the years and I know some folks that do all of their reloading on them since they don't shoot a large quantity of rounds. I know some folks don't care for them but let's face it - for years, they've allowed folks to reload on a very minimum budget.

I think it would be nice to have a "sticky" on the Lee loaders so that information could be shared on them as well as acting as a place for those who have an interest in them to explore and learn more about them.

Boolit Buddy

Great post...thank you!

That was a pretty cool run-down on your history with the Lee Loader.

I started reloading with a Lee .38/357 loader back in the '70s and the hobby took off from there.

A few months ago, I picked up a used .303 loader for my son because he'd never used one. He's never used it.

After all, why should he? He can use my reloading equipment whenever he wants.
    Never worry about theory as long as the machinery does what it's supposed to do.
    RAH

Boolit Master

I also cut my teeth with a Lee .38/357 loader in the '70s. It took all week to load for practice and the match each month. I did a loading block of 50 at a time. Each step of 50 before moving on to the next step. Sometimes it wasn't until the third night before I got to the bullet seating. Man, that was a lot of fun. Just think about it, everything could be kept in a box under a small table. Now, it takes up a walk-in closet, more than half a spare bedroom and a 12x14 shed for casting. Times have really changed...but it's still a lot of fun!!
    May all your bullets find the Bullseye.

Boolit Buddy

I used a 30-06 Lee loader for about 40 rounds then was very glad to buy a used RCBS Jr for not much more than the price of a Lee Loader. After the second firing of the 30-06, the Lee Loader would leave the shells very difficult to chamber in the rifle.
    I am experimenting with a .45 Lee Loader for pistol to see if the cases can get loaded as many times as with standard dies and feed reliably in the chambers without force.