Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need a reason to cast boolits?

Need a reason to cast boolits?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150509_104100.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	54.0 KB 
ID:	139027
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Ouch, I flinch everytime I buy something in a store anymore.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Yep. As long as people are willing pay that the price will never go down. I will say, even if the cost was the same I would shoot my own reloads with boolits.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master

Cost is a consideration for handloading, but being able to get a bullet to do just what you want it to is a much more important reason for me to handload.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    That was the main reason I got back in to reloading and am getting stuff together for casting.

I had just picked up a .44magnum in trade, shot the box of ammo that came with it, and then went to purchase another box. I just about keeled over when the price was more than $1/round for the stuff...and that was the cheap end!

Aside from a random 22LR purchase here and there, everything is reloaded now.

Boolit Grand Master
    I haven't bought any ammo in so very long that
    I wasn't even aware of the price
    that's crazy the amount they get for it
    decide a long time ago that if they can make it so can I
    and not only are my handloads custom for the firearm they are intended for
    they cost less and are by far more accurate
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Also just got a .44 Mag and couldn't wait to shoot it, So picked up a box of S&B Mag rounds @ $35, others were $46 including Blazers.
    First store bought ammo in 9 years for me.
    Casting, Reloading & Shooting

Wow... I still have some of those very factory loads bought back in the mid 90s' when I bought my Anaconda, I think the sticker on them was about $ 20 . That's just ridiculous. The percussion revolvers are looking better all the time for plinksters , powder ,cap and lead , good to go..

Boolit Master

Other than .22s and a couple boxes of +P JHPs for my 'carry', the only factory rounds I can recall buying in the last 10-12 years were 200 rds of Privi 7.62x54R from Grafs because, at the time, it was the only source for reloadable brass.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master
    Were I not technically challenged I would post pics of trays I made which are full of cast boolits which I cast.

Boolit Master

I guess I can see why they are still on the shelf. I guess I'm glad I'm out of the ammo price loop. Other than a very few oddballs I'm all cast.
    jeepyj
    Sometimes it takes a second box of boolits to clear my head.
    Feed back thread http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...?261449-jeepyj

Boolit Grand Master
    Wow, I remember when Federal brought out the American Eagle line as a cheaper source of factory loads. I think I was paying somewhere around $12.99 a box for .44 Magnums, times do change.

Robert

Boolit Man
    Bought a box of 45-70 for $30 to try out the new rifle while waiting for components to arrive.
    Aside from. 22s, the only ammo i've bought in years.

Boolit Grand Master

With the exception of one box of 25 380's, about 2 years ago, can't recall buying any centerfire factory ammo in well over 10 years.
    1Shirt!
    "Common Sense Is An Uncommon Virtue" Ben Franklin

"Ve got too soon old and too late smart" Pa.Dutch Saying

The cost of freakin' EVERYTHING has gone out of sight! Not just gun & ammo stuff. Wife was telling me about a piece of watermelon the other day, priced at $5-something. Not a whole melon, a piece!

I just did a quick calculation and came up with about $6 per box if I make my own. Of course I'm more likely to spend the $64 and make 10 boxes!!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

I've bought some factory ammo, but I don't anymore.

Cheaper to buy brass here and load my own. And my range has very reasonable prices on Handgun brass. 5$ a Hundred and they have boxes of 9mm and 45 ACP brass.

Rifles are a bit harder to come by but I did get 200 rounds of .223 and 50 of good 7.62x54r for the Mosin.

At a dollar a pound or a minor fraction over, most of my bullets are under 2 cents each.
    Just scored 5 fresh pounds of Red Dot from Ballistic Products. 20$ a pound before hazmat and shipping. With hazmat and shipping added in it was still cheaper than that from Bass Pro shops before the hazmat and shipping.

At 4-5 grains of red dot per load, I can load a LOT.

Banned
    I reload for 13 or so cartridges. Many of whom are either super hard to find, impossible to find, or super expensive to buy. Reloading has made it possible to shoot these old guns, and casting has made it much cheaper to do so.

I shoot 454 Casull a lot sometimes five days a week but more often it's once to twice a week. I have a range out to 100 yards built at my house so I can test loads etc. Go price a box of 454 Casulls and you'll see right away why I cast and reload. I buy my alloy of jetsfan-24 here on this board but I sell just enough bullets from each order to some local shooters where I live to pay for it and I use the remainder for myself so my lead ends up being free. I buy powder and primers in large bulk, same with brass. Costs me less than $20 to make 200 full house 454 Casull rounds of very high quality. If I were to buy the same quality of rounds from a place like buffalo bore or someplace else that makes high quality ammo for 454 it would run me $384 for the same amount of ammo. No joke, you can Google up the buffalo bore ammo prices and check my math if you like For me to shoot 200 rounds in a week isn't abnormal but with casting and reloading I am able to do it cheaper than I could take my kids to see a movie.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Boolit Master

What is this "Fak-toe-ree" ammo you speak of?

Scrounged range lead and scrounged range brass. . .I think my .45ACP costs less than .22LR these days. . . at least, once the pot, PID, dies, molds, presses get paid off. . .
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast