Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline Fabrication
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 454 casual reloading trouble

454 casual reloading trouble

Just bought a ruger Alaskan and some rcbs dies. Cast up some 454-308 boolits, powder coated and some ran some thru the sizer. Sized both to .454 slugged my bore it was .453. Now to the loading I been loading these in new star line nickel brass. I ran the brass thru the sizing die then thru the expander die boolits fit bout half way in on driving band. Now when I seat the boolits they will cut a ring of lead off. I thought maybe it was my 454 seater die taking the bell off. I thought I would try my 45 colt dies because they have a larger ID then the .454 did not work same ring of lead. This happened on both powder coated and lubed boolits. I also tried using lee expander die but no help. I know I'm doing something but can't figure it out any help would be appreciated. David

Frosted Boolits

Maybe expand the case mouth a bit more???

Or try seating and crimping in 2 steps.

Maybe you can post a picture?
    My Feedback : http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...iscoyotehunter

An armed society is a polite society.

the BB knows

I did expand till I got the driving band in all the way. I do seat and crimp in 2 steps it cuts the ring off on the band between the lube groove and crimp groove. I will try to get some pictures up tomorrow it's storming here tonite.

Boolit Master

try a gas check boolit.

Boolit Master
    I have this issue from time to time, but usually it is when I roll crimp and brass catches the top of the crimp groove, use a profile crimp die now. Sounds to me like your expander plug just isn't opening up the case quite enough. How do they shoot?

Boolit Buddy

Did you pull a few of them apart to see exactly where the lead cutting starts? It still sounds as simple as making sure your crimp is backed far enough out of the way in the seating station or the brass isn't being belled enough to accept the boolit. Does it happen with every round or just sometimes?

Banned

try seating and crimping in different operations. Sometimes when your dies are a bit off the die is trying to seat a bullet at the same time crimping it and it drives the case mouth into the shoulder of the bullet to hard. if you don't have a crimp die just seat with your seating die with the body backed off so it doesn't crimp. then pull the seating plug out of the die and use it just to crimp.

This happens to me sometimes with bullet types whose crimp groove is small and steep vs wider and more gently sloped. After sizing the crimp groove gets an edge to it, especially if I am sizing .458 bullets down to .454 or smaller and when crimping this edge gets cut off unless I use a collet crimp die, with the bullets I have that do this it doesn't seem to affect accuracy so I haven't worried about it too much.
    Neither a borrower nor a lender be;
    For loan oft loses both itself and friend,
    And borrowing dulls the edge of husbandry.
    This above all: to thine ownself be true

Can't get to the reloading room today having early Mother's Day. I'll take all the helpful info and try tomorrow see what I can get to work. I'll let you all know what works. Thanks for all the help,
    David

Banned

Sounds like the seat die is folding the flare before reaching the crimp shoulder. Buy Hornady dies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    try seating and crimping in different operations. Sometimes when your dies are a bit off the die is trying to seat a bullet at the same time crimping it and it drives the case mouth into the shoulder of the bullet to hard. if you don't have a crimp die just seat with your seating die with the body backed off so it doesn't crimp. then pull the seating plug out of the die and use it just to crimp.

^^^^^^^^^

Banned

Set the die for crimp. Then put a washer under the die nut and set the seat plug. After all are seated, remove the washer and back off the plug and crimp. Saves you from setting the die nut each operation.

Boolit Master

About that washer, it's commercially available (I just don't know where). Came in a 357 die set for me, so you plunk the washer in or out and you don't have to set the die for 38 special or 357, it just works.

Spacers like that would be perfect for this too. Put a second lock nut on the seater stem and you don't have to adjust that either, just back off the screw, the single locknut just becomes a depth stop.

Banned

Everything I load is seated and crimped in one operation, never found a difference. I make dies work. Those that don't are made for other stuff.

Groo here
    I had that once with the pointed 200gr 44mag wadcutter.
    The front driving band would be sheared off when seated.
    The answer was the seating pin.
    The pin was pushing on the band instead of the nose of the bullet.
    When crimped , the seated continued to push on the bullet after the crimp,and sheared of the band.
    The answer was a different pin, I think from a set of 350rem mag dies.

Boolit Buddy
    Do make sure you have a good chamfer on the inside lip of your brass. I chamfer new brass externally just for burrs, but, I put a good chamfer on the inside of the mouth (not knife edged, but, a significant angle). I find that this cuts way back on shaving lead on my cast bullets.

Lyman M die (my next purchase for my 454) might be of use.

Just for my 2 cents. thanks rch

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rhouser View Post
    Lyman M die (my next purchase for my 454) might be of use.

Just for my 2 cents. thanks rch
    The Lyman M die didn't do much for me. The Redding Profile crimp die is aces if you seat & crimp in separate steps.

Boolit Bub
    Would also try deburring/ chamfer the case mouth. Ran into this a few times lately with new pistol brass. Never had to before, seems like there is quite a rough lip left inside the case mouths on this new stuff. Quality down, price up...like everything gun related.

Well gentleman, I tried several of your ideas but had no luck getting it to stop shaving the boolits.
    Had several pictures ready for your review, then a brain cell popped up and I decided to go back to square one. First off I resized brass,checked length, deburred. Didn't put primers in as I figured I was going to be pulling boolits. Next I belled case mouths and checked my sized boolits. Now the problem I didn't have a lee 454 push thru sizer so I tried the split dowel rod and fine sand paper to open up a 452 sizer I had. I checked the ones I had sized and low and behold my problem they were out of round. So my thanks to all the fine folks that helped.

David

Boolit Master

Wow! a lee push through sizer out of round? That's pretty wild.

are these boolits water dropped, by chance? high alloy content?