WidenersLoad DataLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whoo hoo, new Maltby 303

Boolit Buddy

Whoo hoo, new Maltby 303

I waited for two years for a friend to sell me his all matching early 1943 Maltby No4MK1, it still has the cosmoline under the wood, I left it all in there rather than trying to clean that nasty goop out. I have a batch of reloads waiting for a range run this weekend, then it's off to see where the bears are this spring.
    It's been a long while since I have had a Maltby made 303, back to reloading.
    The 45-70, the only Government I trust.
    The Gospel of speed is accuracy.

Boolit Master

Whoo hoo is right!!. Nice rifle.
    When you read the fine print you get an education
    when you ignore the fine print you get experience

Boolit Master

Pictures ! Pictures! Tim

Boolit Master

Very nice.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    No pics as of yet, I had a micrometer rear sight and just got finished putting that on the Maltby, i will take pics soon.
    PS, I will need a volunteer to post pics for me a I'm too old school to learn that stuff, too busy reloading, hunting and fishing etc.

Send them to me.
    Rest In Peace My Son (01/06/1986 - 14/01/2014)

''Assume everything that moves is a human before identifying as otherwise''

Boolit Master
    I wonder if they ever used the "Red Mineral Jelly" under the handguards of the No.4?
    I've read the instructions for preparing a No.1 for tropical use and found they used red mineral jelly, which is equivalent to light axle grease to protect the barrel under the wood.

Cosmoline was never meant to be a permanent protective barrier, they were supposed to clean then inspect and regrease these rifles every few years. Some have opened mummy wrap rifles and found the cosmolene had dried out over time into a plastic like sheath with air space between that and the steel allowing moisture to attack the metal.

Glad you got a good one, I know you've been waiting awhile for an all correct No.4.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
    Send them to me.
    Thanks Pete, it's always good to hear from you, when I get pics I will forward to you. Thanks again, John

Boolit Buddy
    I checked the headspace on the Maltby, it passed with flying colors, the bolthead is a "0".
    I just finished reloading 40 more 150 grainers for a range trip soon.
    The 150's will be compared for accuracy against the factory 180 Federals and 180 grain RN Remington ammo.
    I like reloads, but I prefer reloads in new brass or factory for hunting for the added safety of not having to worry about case seperation on a hunt.

Boolit Buddy
    Bought a M1 Garand SA barrel from the CMP a couple of years ago. They found a stash of mummified barrels and they were all wrapped up in cloth and cosmo. Mine had a nicely pitted chamber. They made good on it but I got an H&R barrel not the SA I had originally purchased. Vigilance is the only way to go, as Neil Young said: Rust never sleeps.

Dave

Boolit Grand Master

You shoot enough of those 150 gr. loads and the cosmoline may clean itself out from under the handguard! LOL.

Your welcome.

I like reloads, but I prefer reloads in new brass or factory for hunting for the added safety of not having to worry about case seperation on a hunt.
    I haven't had a head separation since my early days with the 303. Only neck splits and losing brass in the long grass (and over drying in the oven which anneals the heads!) Neck splits are from too many firings without annealing. I don't even bother with the paper clip feeler anymore.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 05-10-2015 at 05:08 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by 303carbine View Post
    I waited for two years for a friend to sell me his all matching early 1943 Maltby No4MK1, it still has the cosmoline under the wood, I left it all in there rather than trying to clean that nasty goop out. I have a batch of reloads waiting for a range run this weekend, then it's off to see where the bears are this spring.
    It's been a long while since I have had a Maltby made 303, back to reloading.

My range trip was called on account of rain, so I took the Maltby apart and gave it a good cleanup. I found all the numbers on the barrel, receiver and bolt and other parts 100% match. I didn't find any of the typical "England" stamp or any other usual export marks, I have a 100% original Maltby virgin.
    It had obviously never been apart and had all kinds of cosmo under the wood, when I took the bands off the wood was glued in place by the sticky gunk underneath.
    I cleaned off the surface dirt and oil etc, after the stock dried I added BLO until it wouldn't soak up any more.
    No sandpaper was used and all the small maker marks are now visible after the brown goop is gone.
    The dark walnut stock turned out very nice after two heavy coats of BLO.

Maltby Photo's

Banned
    Congrats! That's a beautiful old rifle!

Boolit Buddy
    Many thanks to 303guy (Pete) for posting pics for me, the Maltby is actually nicer now than it was in the pics.

Your're most welcome.

I have one of those Maltby's but mine doesn't have the ladder flip up sight and is missing the original wood. Pity. Also, the bore seems to loosen up a bit at the muzzle. I'd have to clean it properly to confirm that. Mine's a two-groove. You didn't say what yours is?

I must say I like the battle scares on the wood of yours. They may not be battle scars but I prefer to think of them as such. I'd like to get a set of battered by battle wood for mine. I'd also like such a set for one of my SMLE's. The SMLE has to be the worlds most ugliest yet endearing battle rifle. It looks like a bulldog! Then the No4 has to be the most handsome of them all.
    Last edited by 303Guy; 05-14-2015 at 01:06 AM.

Boolit Buddy
    Hi again Pete, my Maltby is a shiny two groove that is very accurate, I swapped out the "L" shaped flip sight for a micrometer type rear sight.
    When I cleaned the stock, I used a soap pad and hot water to take the dirt and years of crud off.
    I left all of the war dings as that is part of the rifle's history, it has three coats of linseed oil on it now and it looks better.
    Thanks again for taking the time to post the pics for me.

More pics from 303carbine, this time a Savage No4 mk1*

Beauty!

As the my 303 was a mail order rifle my dad bought for me, and my first deer rifle. I have had some interest in them. What is the Maltby. Lots of 303's were made in the States and the 2 groove was a Savage/Stevens thing. Did not think it was used by others. Mine was "sporterized" when I got it but it ahs taken deer. I had a battle ready 303 I took a deer with and used the stripper clips but ended up selling it. Still have my first 303 which my son also took his first deer with.

DEP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast