MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee Precision

View Poll Results: When making .22LR jackets when do you anneal?

Voters
106. You may not vote on this poll
  • I anneal BEFORE de-rimming.

22 20.75%
  • I anneal AFTER de-rimming.

76 71.70%
  • I anneal BEFORE & AFTER de-rimming.

5 4.72%
  • I NEVER anneal.

3 2.83%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your method for .22LR jacket de-rimming & annealing

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    When i first started with some old dies i sometimes heard a crack sound as i was derimming i thought it was sand in the case,turned out sometimes some priming survives the case firing . I then started heating the cases with torch and heard the crack then so now all cases are annealed then washed and polished before derimming. I have a toaster oven that will run as hot as 650 degrees i put cases in it for an hour now to anneal them .
    Mine happened on a case that was from an unfired cartridge which I pulled the bullet with a scale on a bullet puller to see how much pull weight it would take to remove the bullet. This is a necessary number to know when manufacturing or re-manufacturing 22lr ammo. Which is my primary hobby.
    So it was a case with a full primer charge. It made quite a pop with the gasses escaping down the punch. It did not rupture the case but ballooned out the case head pretty nicely. haha. Good thing too because my face was on the other side of that case when running it in the derimmer.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    Mine happened on a case that was from an unfired cartridge which I pulled the bullet with a scale on a bullet puller to see how much pull weight it would take to remove the bullet. This is a necessary number to know when manufacturing or re-manufacturing 22lr ammo. Which is my primary hobby.
    So it was a case with a full primer charge. It made quite a pop with the gasses escaping down the punch. It did not rupture the case but ballooned out the case head pretty nicely. haha. Good thing too because my face was on the other side of that case when running it in the derimmer.
    These are just little pops and the smell of a primer if you get close like I said I thought it was maybe crushed gravel until looked into it more.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Buddy
    I was surprised after 3 hours of wet tumbling with ss pins and drying for another hour, I still have some pop on the punch when taking out the rim.

Boolit Master

I get "Pops" when running 22LR through my Pneumatic Press for derimming at times. It is not due to residual priming compound or frictional (glass?) products left in the rim. Rather is is because of the rigidity of the brass coupled with the size reduction of the rim to the punch/die combination. The pneumatic piston will literally "Delay" for a fraction of a second as it irons out the rim - and then it "Pops" as the pressure/resistance at the rim is gone. I really like my pneumatic derimming setup as it allows me to comfortable do 500 to a 1000 22LR derimming operations during a session.

I used to stress relieve the brass before derimming by annealing the 22LR (and 17HMR and 22WMR) cases. I stopped that process due to excessive separation of the bases during derimming - followed by the pain of removing the brass tube from the punch. Depending on brand (I sort all my 22LR cases by headstamp and store each in Costco/Sams plastic nut jars until I have 500 to 2000 of a single brand) I may or may not heat treat before core seating.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123