RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad DataTitan Reloading
Lee Precision MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Shooting glasses?

Boolit Master

Cool Shooting glasses?

Gentlemen;
    This month, I will undergo cataract sugery on both eyes. The hope is, I will no longer need corrective lenses. If that happy occurrence comes to pass, I will need a good set of shooting glasses. Till now, mistakenly, I have just used my polycarbonate everyday glasses, thinking they would be adequate.

I have read about ANSI Z87.1 and OSHA Impact resistant lenses, and wonder , although they must be somewhat better than my old glasses, are they adequate to the task for us average shooters? Would going to the Military standard be better?

I'm sure most of the forum members use shooting glasses, so can anyone suggest a reliable, rugged and adequate set of shooting glasses, that won't break the bank?

Thanx;
    C.

Moderator Emeritus

What type of shooting do you do most? I use my trap shooting glases which are Post 4 if I remember correctly. Great for trap shooting but may not be what you are looking for.

Boolit Buddy
    The end of the cattle drive in "The Cowboys"
    Military glasses and z87.1 is the same standard. They must be able to withstand a .25" steel ball bearing launched into them at numerous points at 250fps if memory serves. The only things with a higher rating are goggles and face shields, same test, but at 350 fps.

Boolit Master
    If you won't need prescription glasses then there are a multitude of safety glasses available in clear and various tints. You have plenty of time to visit local sporting goods stores as well as home centers. They all have shooting or safety glasses.

If you will need prescription glasses find a store that will make up ANSI rated safety glasses the way you want them. I have been using safety glasses with glass lenses that are progressive and Photo-gray for years. Not every mass marketing eyeglass store will make them. I found a small independent shop that was willing to spend some time finding the frames and put them together for me. Best of all, they were able to do at a lower cost than the bigger stores.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Master
    MrWolf; My shooting is made up of informal target, plinking, "walk around" small game, and the heads of small sunflowers, dancing in the breeze on the side hill. My deer and elk hunting days were memorable, but are now past.

I've about come to the conclusion that for the great majority of us, ANSI-level protection will cover 90+% of any hazardous dangerous situations we may encounter.
    sdcitizen;
    Thanks; I did some research, and found that ANSI Z87.1 glass/plastic must be able to withstand a .25 in steel ball traveling at 150 fps, probably from different angles. MIL-PRF-31013 materials must withstand a .015 projectile traveling at 650 fps., and goggles and face shields must resist a .22 dia. projectile @550 fps.
    An Iraq veteran did some tests, shooting glasses with a shotgun and birdshot and a .22 short fired from 50 feet. He did say his methods were "harsh". Yes, they were, but very good information for soldiers who might be deploying to the Middle East, IMO.

Surprise! Few glasses except Oakley and Smith passed! I had never heard of Smith before, but they make some tough glasses!~Oakley makes fine eye protection, but for me, a bit out of the ballpark.

Reading the report, I came to the conclusion That for most of us, who will not go in harm's way, the ANSI materials will do just fine. I did find a scant few glasses that were rated for both ANSI, and a supposedly Military standard, not the same as the above. One claimed to be able to withstand a .22 bullet (probably a Short @ 750 fps.)fired from 50 ft. My response: Who says so?
    Looking thru my closet, I found two pairs of ANSI Z87.1 shooting glasses I got as a "thank you" gift from MIDWAY USA. How good they may prove to be, I'm not sure, but as they were give aways, I'll probably spend a tad more, if only for peace of mind.
    Actually, it will be a couple of months to let everything heal after my last surgery on 26 May, and then I'll evaluate and see where it all shakes out.

C.F. Plinker; Great advice!
    Thanx.
    Last edited by sniper; 05-09-2015 at 05:24 AM.