Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Lee Precision
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Vent fan question

Boolit Grand Master
    Dryer fan sounds interesting.
    I'll have to see if I can find one.

Boolit Grand Master
    I'm not having any luck finding a squirrel fan or a dryer fan.
    I do have an old Hoover vacuum.
    Has anyone tried to use the fan from a vacuum for a vent fan?????

Boolit Buddy
    I use an old heater/fan without the heat function. Works well. Bought from a thrift/goodwill store for $5. Attached it to a metal sheet that fits exactly in the window, and added some flex ducting to my pot.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    I'm not having any luck finding a squirrel fan or a dryer fan.
    I do have an old Hoover vacuum.
    Has anyone tried to use the fan from a vacuum for a vent fan?????
    I don't think you'll get enough air movement out of it. Can't hurt to try but don't be surprised if it doesn't move enough air.

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    After looking at this thread, I felt I may be able to help some members out with what I've been using for the past 30 years. You do need to have a garage or portable building or home that you feel good with cutting a small hole in the wall.
    Now go to any Lowe's, Home depot, Stine's, or other building supply and purchase a Gable attic exhaust fan. These fans are designed to remove huge amounts of hot air from attics. They work on a temp controlled built in switch that is adjustable by you.
    If you go to any restaurant or bar that has a kitchen, you will see one of these fans in the side walls right above the stoves inside. They pull a lot of CFM's and work great and are very easy to install. The ones I use are dual purpose for me as they not only exhaust my lead fumes, they also pull the hot Louisiana air from my 12x24 out building.
    They cost about $60 ea. and only require you buy a outside vent to dress them off. The vent's are about $10-12 or in that area.
    The ones that I use last about 18 to 24 months before needing replacement and that is only because I use them to keep the interior heat down. They make about a 20 degree improvement over not having them. Good Luck David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet

Boolit Grand Master
    I've finally got something that works.
    Many, many thanks to jsizemore for the fan.
    Living on an island, hard to find things. I had to order the flex tubing from ebay. Got it for a great price and shipping was free. Took two weeks to get here, but it worked great.
    Smoke/fumes blow out and away now. I don't smell anything at all.
    When the fan first got here, I thought it would make lots of noise. I was surprised how quiet it is.
    Attachment 145252Attachment 145253
    One project down, many more to go.
    Again many, many thanks to jsizemore for your help. I'm sure it wouldn't have come out as good as it did without your help.

Boolit Master
    Jenn-air costs more but it's very user friendly. You can remotely mount the fan and cut way down on the noise. It's always a balancing act of removing unwanted fumes and sucking all the conditioned air from the space. I work on a little restaurant equipment too. Congrats on your build.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123