Inline FabricationLoad DataTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2 Repackbox

Thread: Matte Black H.F. FAILURE

Matte Black H.F. FAILURE

This stuff stinks and attempting to go H.T. failed as well + waste of time.

Boolit Master

I have ESPC coated many boolits using the HF gun with great success. I did notice if I bumped the tray while transferring to the oven the powder would fall off the boolits. I have since switched to Prismatic Powders and can ESPC or ASBBDT with very good success.

I like the look of matte black, and have purchased two types of black from Prismatic Powders, ink black and satin black. The ink black looks very wet and the satin is a dull finish. I plan on mixing the 2 50/50 just to see how well it tumbles. HF flat black simply will not dry tumble.

Although HF powder is cheap, I find I really had a lot of waste through overspray. Yes, I collected it but it was a pain. Using good powder with ASBBDT does not waste any! That makes up the difference in price for me. Besides, I cut down the shipping costs by either ordering several colors, or pre ordering and driving to their facility. They like 2 days prep because they typically aren't an on site retailer, but will sell direct if you call ahead.

Oh ya, HF powder STINKS when baking, Prismatic Powder does not as badly. I could really notice when firing HF coated boolits, and not so much with Prismatic.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Too bad, it's the only thing I feed my blackout....
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/cust...pic31753_1.gif
    "They sicken of the calm, who knew the storm." Dorothy Parker

Boolit Master

No doubt, my 300 loves black beauties! (And Zombie green, Barbie pink, Barney Purple, copper, etc.)
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

I use the ASBBDT method. HF black doesn't work. HF Red is better, but not great. There are much better powders available. I have had great success with powder from Smoke4320 on this forum.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/foru...-4320-s-Corner

-Chris

Boolit Master
    Smokes powders are top notch. I boght 4 asst pounds recently and love em. They pour out of the bag in a fashion that reminds me of a liwuid rather than a powder. Hf stuff aint like this stuff by a loooong shot. These powders coat well and bake up nicely. Baking doesnt smell quite like my sisters easy bake stuff but its sure a lot more fun.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    HF matte black is my STANDARD go-to poweder for all cal's.

NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM in this end!

You are obviously doing something seriously wrong. Please furnish details how your doing the coating.

Remember MATTE colors DO NOT dry tumble!!!!! ONLY ESPC. The matting agent kills static.

Let us know details...........instead of just trashing the product/method. Those that apply it correctly do not have any problems that I have heard of.

You should not be baking PC inside! Any brand. Do it outside. Solves the "stink" problem right there.

banger

Boolit Bub
    I had reasonably good results with HF Matte Black with wet coating. Put some acetone in the container with small amount of powder, shake, look at coverage, add more powder as needed until coverage is good, then bake. Too much powder is bad--clumpy.

Wouldn't cost much to try it. Small qty of acetone can be found in the beauty aisle as nail polish remover.

Boolit Grand Master
    I have three different bottles of HF matte I bought at various times over the past year or so.

something changed! Early on, the powder would not even start to dissolve or coat........just a big mess.

Another bottle..............coated a little but took 3 coats......not worth the time.

Another bottle..............coated better, but still not nearly close to the ESPC coating I use as my standard to judge coatings against.

Try it, you HF black may work with acetone. Sure did not meet my standards or time needed to get quality results.

Get Acetone in a quart can at Home Depot or Lowe's or other similar store. Nail polish remover has perfume and oils in it.

banger

Quote Originally Posted by twc1964 View Post
    Smokes powders are top notch. I boght 4 asst pounds recently and love em. They pour out of the bag in a fashion that reminds me of a liwuid rather than a powder. Hf stuff aint like this stuff by a loooong shot. These powders coat well and bake up nicely. Baking doesnt smell quite like my sisters easy bake stuff but its sure a lot more fun.

Yes. This powder is so fine and flows so well, I've been toying with the idea of refilling an old toner cart with it to see what happens. I have an old laser printer that I wouldn't be too upset if it got gummed up.

Boolit Master

If the H.T. is Hi Tech then all I can say is from reading up on it the stuff seems to be very temp sensitive during baking. Sway too much and it can wreck the coating. PC seems to be a lot less worry. I've accidentally charred some red into brown and they still worked.
    Disclaimer: Reloading and casting I only look at cents/round and ignore any other costs

Boolit Grand Master
    Early on B4 I got my good convection oven, I had boolits (HF red) that were severely over-heated to the point some started sagging in the oven. The turned a bit brown but the coat still passed the hammer test.

PC is amazing & forgiving stuff....either HF or Smoke's. The finer the grind, the better is should stick.

I meant it stinks as a tumble coating as others now say. I actually remember reading this, but forgot. I did try it with acetone and referred to it as HT. The stuff did cover really well but I messed it up using a new heat gun on it. It did seem to dry just fine on objects without heat. Using it on boolets, with heat from heatgun or oven made the stuff bubble up and stay a mess. More testing to follow