Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRepackboxLee Precision
WidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading

Thread: Rod for Driving a slug - needed one for 9mm

Boolit Master

Rod for Driving a slug - needed one for 9mm

So I needed to reslug my SAXD 9 Sub Compact and my 5/16" brass rod was nowhere to be found. One of my Hobbies is Ham Radio so I just happen to have some lengths of 1/4" dia. solid fiberglass rods which were used to make beam antennas. cut off a 5" length ,chucked it up in a hand drill and used coarse sand paper to turn it down to be a sung fit in a fired .25APC case ( from one of my misc. brass boxs) ,taped cases on both ends.

Lubed up a unsized cast dia. .358" 125gr. LRN and bumped it thru like it was nothing. Turns out it slugged to 0.3552 which is what I remembered from doing this two years ago but sometimes I get a bit confused . My mind is like a steel trap , old and rusty.
    Last edited by Case Stuffer; 05-07-2015 at 01:00 PM.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

That rod was a good idea. The brass caps eliminate the problems due to it being fiberglass.

Boolit Grand Master

"My mind is like a steel trap , old and rusty."
    Shamelessly stolen and will be used, If I can remember it.

Boolit Master

Great fix
    "Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same......." - Ronald Reagan

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather, we should thank God that such men lived." - George Patton

The second amendment is a nail on which hangs a picture of freedom - member Alex 4x4 Tver, Russia

Boolit Master
    Even better than fiberglass is a short piece of Delron.. I have been using these for starting slug 5"-6" into bore..once started doesn't take much to move slug thru. Most plastic supply places will have a stash of odds and ends for sale.

Boolit Master

Alturas, California...where the west still lives!
    Quote Originally Posted by .22-10-45 View Post
    Even better than fiberglass is a short piece of Delron.. I have been using these for starting slug 5"-6" into bore..once started doesn't take much to move slug thru. Most plastic supply places will have a stash of odds and ends for sale.
    Did you mean "Delrin"? I use Delrin for many applications......machines beautifully, tough as nails and always has a smooth, slick surface.

Boolit Master
    Lubed up a unsized cast dia. .358" 125gr. LRN and bumped it thru like it was nothing.
    I bet it did. High rigidity and low weight. When I pounded out a bore obstruction, I used a wood dowel, which worked fine. But I tried my 3 lb sledge, first, and that didn't get me anywhere. Too heavy, too slow. I think I would have damaged my bench or twisted my revolver into a pretzel before the bullet moved. I guess, if I had smacked it hard/fast enough, I could have gotten the bullet out with one single swing and maybe even had some muzzle velocity on the slug! Tap, tap, tap, with a 14 oz hammer, and no problem. The bullet moved a little with each tap, and it was out in no time.

Similar to the difference I had with the hammers, I think the light weight of the fiberglass rod would help transmit the force to the bullet more instantaneously, rather than a heavy rod more slowly getting up to speed and allowing more of the momentum to transfer to the barrel/gun before the static friction of the bullet was overcome.
    Last edited by gloob; 05-15-2015 at 06:30 PM.

Boolit Master
    "I got a mind like a sieve and I dont like to strain it" OR "Dont let your mind wander it's too small to be out by itself"

Boolit Master
    Ok, then. When it comes to a squib rod:

Light and incompressible/inelastic = good.
    Heavy and compressible/elastic = bad.

Think of it like this. You can pull the table cloth out from under a plate all quick-like, without moving the plate. That's a light rod with fast blows with a light hammer. Or you can pull the table cloth slowly and make the plate fall off the table. That's the heavy rod with slow blows from a heavy hammer.
    Last edited by gloob; 05-16-2015 at 06:42 PM.