Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Opinion on Cimarron 1885 Deluxe Sporting Rifle in .30-40 Krag with Double Set Trigger

Boolit Master

Opinion on Cimarron 1885 Deluxe Sporting Rifle in .30-40 Krag with Double Set Trigger

One of these in VG condition has popped up on the local trader website. With the addition of a Lee Shaver tang sight it would seem to be a very economical rifle to shoot with 200 grain boolits and Red Dot. Do any of you have experience with this basic rifle and perhaps even in this caliber? All opinions will be appreciated. GF

Know nothing about Cimarron, but the Krag is IMHO the best .30 caliber cast bullet round of them all.

I used to shoot a Krag. I would not use Red Dot for anything but cat-sneeze loads. For 200 grain hunting loads Varget or 4895 are far better choices. RL-7 and 3031 would also work. Ref Dot will run the peak pressure WAY up if you try to load it to hunting velocity,
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

I don't have on in 30-40 but in 45-70. Well made, accurate. A bit heavy for hunting but works well in a blind. As to 30-40, Lyman 311284 0r the 311290 always worked well for me in the Krag. As mentioned, Red Dot is good for some applications, but for target/practice loads, I use Unique or 2400 and any of the aforementioned powders for hunting will serve you well. Sounds like a neat rifle.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

I've used many pounds of Red Dot over the years, but never in larger capacity rifle cartridges. They've all been pistol loads for my use.
    2400, Unique, and 4198 all work well for my rifle loads.

Boolit Grand Master
    8 grains of red dot under a 311-291 worked well for me in my Winchester 1895 for short range target work.. BUT, make sure your sight has plenty of elevation, it will hit low.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Unless I’m mistaken, the Cimarron Model 1885 is actually made in Italy by Uberti. While they are a reasonably faithful replica of the original Winchester, you may find some variations in bore diameter. It will definitely be worth your while to slug the barrel then cast and size your bullets accordingly. While Red Dot is a very good powder for pistols and reduced rifle loads, I’d look at 4227 or perhaps 2400 for my lead bullet loads. I don’t know the twist rate in the Cimarrons, but originals tend to favor heavy bullets, say 200 grains or so. I kinda envy you… that should be a fun gun to explore and shoot.
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    I have one (30-40 Krag), but have not had a lot of time to wring it out yet. The Cimarrons are nice rifles, just a step lower than the Pedersolis, but also cheaper.
    As others have said, I would find a better powder than Red Dot for this rifle in 30-40 (i.e. 5744, 4759, 4227, Reloder 7, Unique, even Green Dot)

FWIW, I also have a Cimarron in 38-55 and it has proven to be very accurate with my loads.
    The one complaint I have with these rifles is that the triggers are set only. You can't fire the rifle with the forward trigger without setting it.