RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Inline Fabrication Load Data

Thread: WC846 - good uses for it?

WC846 - good uses for it?

I have 16 lbs of WC846 pulled down powder from Pat's Reloading. Bought it years ago, have never used any. I know it's similar to BLC-2, but have never used that either. I also know it's supposed to be good for .308 and .223, but I don't shoot .308 and don't really need it for .223, not yet anyway.

Anybody know if it's useful in .30-06, .303 British, 7.62x54R, 7.5x55 Swiss, or .30-30? Usable with cast bullets in any of these?

Thanks!

Boolit Buddy
    500S&W. I've used this powder with 525gr long nose boolits for mild load. My lot seemed bit faster than BL-C2 but good enough accuracy and easy on me. Probably shot about a thousand rounds. Make sure you wear hat though. Or your head will be coverd with unburned powder!

Boolit Master
    There's load data for it and 844 on castpics.
    It ain't rocket science, it's boolit science.

Boolit Master
    My lot is also faster than BL-C2. Try it in the .30-30. I finally got around to firing my test rounds a Remington Model 81 in .30 Remington(rimless .30-30) this past weekend using the Lee C309-170-F. It showed a lot of promise with 32 gr going into less than in inch at 50 yards, which is not bad for a rifle with a 3 MOA factory gaurantee. I also use it a lot in .25 Rem(jacketed), .32 Rem, and 7.35 Carcano(jacketed).

Quote Originally Posted by texassako View Post
    My lot is also faster than BL-C2. Try it in the .30-30. I finally got around to firing my test rounds a Remington Model 81 in .30 Remington(rimless .30-30) this past weekend using the Lee C309-170-F. It showed a lot of promise with 32 gr going into less than in inch at 50 yards, which is not bad for a rifle with a 3 MOA factory gaurantee. I also use it a lot in .25 Rem(jacketed), .32 Rem, and 7.35 Carcano(jacketed).
    Interesting, that's exactly what I'm wanting to use if for! The Lee C309-170-F in a Marlin 336! Anybody else have any results to report using WC-846 in .30-30? Especially with lead boolits?

Boolit Master
    I have been looking for a "reasonably" priced source for 846. But the only one at the present wants an arm and a leg for there jugs.

Boolit Master

Trade It. Lot of shooters who reload for mil spec ball would be interested in trades I am sure. Decide what powder you would want in trade and post it for trade.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Bub
    I've shot a lot of WC846 over the years in TAC 20 .222, .223 7.62 Nato, and in my 32 Winchester Special. Worked very well in all of them. First 8 pounder I bougth was $56 and no hazmat.

Boolit Grand Master
    Down to my remnants of WC846. Used it in .223 only. Had 12 pound of it and it came from Pat's.
    Ah for the good old days of plentiful surplus powder CHEAP!!

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Banned

ive used it in 223, 250 sav, 308, 3030, 730

Boolit Buddy
    I have and still do use it to load 223, 308 and 7.7x58 Japanese.
    Bought eight 8 pound jugs of the stuff from Hi Tech Ammo about 5 years ago, and still have four jugs to go.
    Just finished loading up 1200 rounds of 308, and that took all most a full jug of powder.
    Gregg

bhn22
    My lot was also faster than BLC2. I used it up in 223 & 308, once I adjusted the data for the actual burning rate of my lot number.

Vendor Sponsor
    +1 on it being faster than BLC2 data. Work up carefully.