MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationReloading EverythingRepackbox
Load Data RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: teflon resin based powder coat (just getting it from the descripition)

don't worry, I will remelt the boolits that the powder that they are on. use it on my shotgun and other powder coat projects.

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Good. We just do not want to see one of our "boolit buddies" perp-walked on the 10PM news!!!!

HA.......HA!

Boolit Master
    Had not even though about being busted just for being pulled over. Took a look at Oregons law and it looks like this:166.350¹
    Unlawful possession of armor piercing ammunition

(1)A person commits the crime of unlawful possession of armor piercing ammunition if the person:
    (a)Makes, sells, buys or possesses any handgun ammunition the bullet or projectile of which is coated with Teflon or any chemical compound with properties similar to Teflon and which is intended to penetrate soft body armor, such person having the intent that the ammunition be used in the commission of a felony; or
    (b)Carries any ammunition described in paragraph (a) of this subsection while committing any felony during which the person or any accomplice of the person is armed with a firearm.
    (2)As used in this section, handgun ammunition means ammunition principally for use in pistols or revolvers notwithstanding that the ammunition can be used in some rifles.
    (3)Unlawful possession of armor piercing ammunition is a Class A misdemeanor. [1985 c.755 §2; 1987 c.158 §29]

Just dont get caught with them in a commission of a felony. Class A misdemeanor is something I would still not want to have on my record.

Boolit Buddy
    This law doesn't make any sense. These media-created fallacies that have become law need to be challenged. I think DuPont should charge government entities for overzealous use of their trademark, Teflon. Nothing about PTFE makes a cast lead bullet remotely soft armor piercing. But, everyone already knew this...

it is what it is,

it is going to be harder now to fight just about any anti gun law already on the books, then it would of been when they were written. even to have it changed to make any sense, you going to need a number of test done by state, feds, and a credit labs to even get any changes to be thought about.

no one every looked at what the projectile was made of they only looked at the coating. thanks to the media.

Boolit Master
    "projectile of which is coated with Teflon or any chemical compound with properties similar to Teflon and which is intended to penetrate soft body armor"

There is not a single manufacture of armor piercing ammunition that uses lead as the core. That would cover the part after "and." Start coating zinc boolits and you might run into some problems.You run into an overzealous, uneducated LEO who sees your black powder coated, or even green powder coated boolits and he may think he has got a hardened cop killer as is if you look the part.

Remember the outcry over Black talons? Winchester released the same bullet without the coating,and are still available today. No ban on Black talons was ever implemented, but the leftist sure painted them as cop killers just because they were black. Therein lies the joke.

I would be much to our advantage if the Teflon coating were available in colors other than black.
    Last edited by xacex; 05-16-2015 at 12:38 PM.

I may not be able to use it as coating for boolits but can use it for the out side of the gun.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B30088C9-C905-4513-9FAA-84BD30195B34_zpseectpo7b.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.5 KB 
ID:	139797

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4ED7659A-365A-4A73-BDF8-9970C4518D25_zpsz6yvr1gg.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	139798

I did not do the first try with the safety on, had some bad spots on the coating and had to fix them, had to a trouble getting the safety on. so resprayed and hit it with a heat gun. took about 20 mins but got the flow and keep heat going for another 10.
    may have run across an method to the barrel for my shotgun, a heat gun and a lot of time. coat the barrel with pc, start at the top get the flow and work your way down. may take an hour or two people with two heat guns.

Quote Originally Posted by xacex View Post
    "projectile of which is coated with Teflon or any chemical compound with properties similar to Teflon and which is intended to penetrate soft body armor"

There is not a single manufacture of armor piercing ammunition that uses lead as the core. That would cover the part after "and." Start coating zinc boolits and you might run into some problems.You run into an overzealous, uneducated LEO who sees your black powder coated, or even green powder coated boolits and he may think he has got a hardened cop killer as is if you look the part.

Remember the outcry over Black talons? Winchester released the same bullet without the coating,and are still available today. No ban on Black talons was ever implemented, but the leftist sure painted them as cop killers just because they were black. Therein lies the joke.

I would be much to our advantage if the Teflon coating were available in colors other than black.
    there is an iridescent yellow. but at $22/lb not worth the trouble, i have more uses for black when it comes to other things to coat other then boolits.

Not sure how anyone would be able to look at a powder coated boolit and know that it was or was not teflon based. I've coated with teflon black and found it works, but no better than super durable black (and, the coating was rougher).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12