Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRotoMetals2Load Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: 6.5x284 to 7.5 Swiss--need help!

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.

6.5x284 to 7.5 Swiss--need help!

I bought some once fired brass in "284", turned out it was actually 6.5x284. I tried to run it in my Lee FL 7.5Swiss dies. I managed to collapse 2 cases and dislocated the decapping pin more times than I remember. How do I get them into Swiss cases? Using Mink oil for case lube.

Boolit Master
    First off I would FL size with out the decapper. I use imperial sizing die wax myself. Maybe try a 7mm expander before ya go to 30. I don't know who's dies you are using but I would chuck up the expander and pin in a drill and polish it real well. I use a qtip rolled in lube to lube the inside of the case mouth. I have also used powdered graphite but it is messy.
    If it's not tapered, you are fighting a losing battle.
    Also the 6.5x284 could have the shoulder pushed back. Depends a lot on what it was fired in and how many times.
    Jeff

You should not have an issue other than I think you are trying to open the neck too fast. Also you may want to anneal them first to soften up the neck.

I've never tried Mink oil nor heard of it for use as lube, does it work well on other cases? You may also try changing to regular case lube or lanolin. I use a lanolin/bees wax mix for case lube, but only because that is the same I use on swaging bullets so I have lots of it around.
    Ron Reed
    Oklahoma City, OK

Boolit Master

Was Mid-Michigan, 2 Orlando, 2 Jacksonville, Fl.
    Kiwi mink oil for waterproofing leather. Much like Imperial sizing wax. See the post about homemade case lubes. Works great, cheap. Using Lee dies.

Banned
    I've never formed 6.5/284 cases, just 284. I suspect you are just expanding too much in one step. I'd expand to 7mm first, then go up to the .30. I've never had a bit of problems forming straight 284 brass with Lee dies.

You could always anneal and fireform with a small charge of fast powder, quick grits and a tp plug.

Banned

neck them up in steps.
    then run the opened cases through the re-sizing die.
    you are gonna have uneven neck thickness in spots from stretching the cases, and a slight anneal may help but pushing down on a soft case doesn't do it any favors.
    I would wait for the anneal until after firing the full load round the first time.

Boolit Master

I think I would find someone who needs the 6.5/284 brass and sell it to them and then buy 7.5 Swiss brass. Because 7.5 Swiss brass is readily available I wouldn't do it.

Ken

Banned
    I actually traded some standard .284 brass two weeks ago for some .45/70 brass. Had plenty of 7.5x55 brass, and it is a LOT more available now than .284 brass. I would sell/trade it as well, if you can find someone to deal with.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 05-08-2015 at 05:57 PM.