Load DataInline FabricationWidenersSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Lee Precision

Thread: Star luber bullet feed tubes, weight causing bind.

Boolit Man

Star luber bullet feed tubes, weight causing bind.

Trying to lube TCFP 38s using an automated Star luber.

The bar likes to bind way too often when more than a few bullets are stacked up, and the bar doesn't like to slide at all when a feed tube is added with a bunch of bullets.

This is a brand new Magma 38/357 caliber bar we just got in case the old one was causing the issues.

Considering shortening the notch (the open side of the tube) on the bottom a little to try to control any movement of the nose of the bullets where they contact the bar but open to other things to check first.

Ideas?

Is the bullet tall enough to fit in the hole and the next bullets nose is not trying to enter the hole in the bar before you can move it? You might need to get the short bullet bar.

I lube the slide on mine, and that helps a lot. Also make sure the tube isn't binding on the slide and that the bullet isn't too short. The opening in the side of the tube also has to be lined up correctly with the direction the bullets will be carried in the slide.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Man
    Got the slide lubed. Bullet is taller than the bar. The issue is that the column of bullets is literally binding the bar so the bar won't move.

How much gap is best between the tube and the bar? Sheet of paper thin or quite a bit?

Also it just occurred to me my return spring may not be strong enough to move the bar with a taller stack of bullets on it.

The tube has to clear the bullet in the slide and not touch the slide, so I adjust mine to just clear both the bullet and the slide.

I've also gone through many springs on mine, since I have three Stars set up with bullet feeders. With heavier bullets, I've even doubled up on the return springs to ensure the slide comes all the way back to pick up the next bullet, and not get hit by the top punch. The roll pin the spring attaches to can break, too, so it's a good idea to have a spare on hand at some time in the future.

Just try to eliminate one thing at a time until it starts working properly. If you get a buildup of excess bullet lube on the slides, that will also slow them down and make them bind until the machines gets hot enough. I only use Magma lubes through my machines, so it takes about 125 degrees F to get them to run properly.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Man
    Thanks. Good ideas. I'll keep tweaking.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Advil View Post
    Thanks. Good ideas. I'll keep tweaking.
    Not sure where you are on this but I will stick my two cents worth in anyway. I lube a 125gr Round Flat Nose and have noticed that it is real picky as to the height of the tube. I use a 3 foot tube, about 50 boolits, and was getting some hang up because the bullets were tipping slightly on exit because the boolits are almost square in profile. If you are shooting a light, 135 gr or less, TC then your bullets may be rocking in the tube as the TC profile may not have enough straight side to keep the aligned correctly. Might contact Star and see if they would make you a tube drilled a little tighter, only a couple thou larger than you bare cast boolits, and with a shorter gate. They are great people and easy to work with.
    Good luck

ADMIN

how long is your tube?
    I use a 3 foot tube also
    Don't like being hammered by the Cast Boolits Staff, then don't be a nail.
    The rules are simple to follow.

Banned

adjust that vertical steel tube perfect and turn it where it needs to be. I polished my slide and hole too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UozyDZ-44Q4

Sizeing hitec supercoat

Boolit Buddy
    Yeah, I think he's right. I have dealt with the same issues thinking that the amount of stacked boolits was the issue. In my case I had to pull the Magma drop tube up a little while ensuring the exit hole was aligned with the aluminum block. My tube length is only about a foot and a half but the boolits are quite a bit heavier. I no longer have binding, unless it's gas check related. You should be able to test for proper fit by rotating that tube slightly while loading boolits--don't forget about the height

Boolit Bub
    I have ran well over a million bullets through a fully automated star sizer. When i run into this binding issue where the bar gets stuck under the bullet column it has always been fixed by adjusting the stop screw on the back of the feeder. I has fixed it for me every time. screw it in until the bullets no longer feed into the bar every time then back it up a little.

Boolit Master
    I tried to use feeder tubes for my Star. They worked OK but I didn't see any gain in speed. I can load 12 -1500 per hour and can run a previously lubed slug every 15 or so by just dropping the boolits in the bullet feeder as I go. By the time I loaded up a bunch of tubes and stacked them for use, I end up spending about the same time. Plus I don't have the option of dropping in a lubed boolit when needed. I'm sure it's just me, but there is no advantage for the way I do my sizing. I did have the problem of the feeder dragging due to the extra weight also. After one hour, I am ready to not see another boolit that needs sizing as I'm getting old and that is enough yanking on the handle for a while. Rod

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rodsvet View Post
    I tried to use feeder tubes for my Star. They worked OK but I didn't see any gain in speed. I can load 12 -1500 per hour and can run a previously lubed slug every 15 or so by just dropping the boolits in the bullet feeder as I go. By the time I loaded up a bunch of tubes and stacked them for use, I end up spending about the same time. Plus I don't have the option of dropping in a lubed boolit when needed. I'm sure it's just me, but there is no advantage for the way I do my sizing. I did have the problem of the feeder dragging due to the extra weight also. After one hour, I am ready to not see another boolit that needs sizing as I'm getting old and that is enough yanking on the handle for a while. Rod
    I don't re-run a previously sized lubed slug thru again. Due to age I generally run an hour and call it quits. I run a three tube array that allows me to do about 150 a fill and while not necessarily any faster when you consider the time it takes to load the tubes I still prefer doing it this way as opposed to dropping one bullet at a time. I do allow my bullets to exit the Star and come to rest in a feeder tube and continue their stay in the bullet tubes until its time to go to the Dillon 650 with the bullet dropper assembly and then I simply invert the tubes and I'm ready to load.

I did what chole did and solved the problem