WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Gas Chcek Material

Boolit Master

Gas Chcek Material

Like most people who have started making their own gas checks, I started by using roof flashing of he right thickness. Yes roof flashing does work but recently I ran out of flashing material and thought I would try the coils of aluminum sold by "Coil & Foil Supplies" http://www.coilandfoil.com/. I placed the order and a few days later the coils showed up.

I use a Freechex III in a small drill press for forming my checks and while using the new coils I discovered right away that they are softer and more malleable than the roof flashing and this makes it easier to use in my drill press. I would highly recommend "Coil and Foil's" products.

Ken
    Last edited by skeet1; 05-05-2015 at 06:23 PM.

Boolit Man

Previously known as the Constitution state
    Quote Originally Posted by skeet1 View Post
    Like most people who have started making their own gas checks, I started by using roof flashing of he right thickness. Yes roof flashing does work but recently I ran out of flashing material and thought I would try the coils of aluminum sold by "Coil & Foil Supplies" http://www.coilandfoil.com/. I placed the order and a few days later the coils showed up.

I use a Freechex III in a small drill press for forming my checks and while using the new coils I discovered right away that they are softer and more malleable than the roof flashing and this makes it easier to use in my drill press. I would highly recommend "Coil and Foil's" products.

Ken

Thickness your using ? Tried any Plain base checks ?

Boolit Master

The thickness of the roof flashing I have been using is .014" and the one Coil and Foil sells is .0145". Works great in the .30 cal. Freechex III tool.

Ken

Yup, the coils are the way to go. Anybody want to buy a nice old vintage paper cutter? I don't need mine any more. GP

Boolit Master
    Yes indeed coils of Alu. form

http://www.coilandfoil.com/

work fantastic. I ordered two coils of .011" X 5/8" X 75' last Sat. they arrived Monday and one coil has already been turned into over 4,000 gas checks for my 223 Boolits and most have been installed and sized.
    NRA Patron Member
    Vet . 2nd of the 47th 9th.Inf. Viet Nam Mar. 67-68

Just had some .012 Cu and .009 Al arrive from Ian (Yonky) yesterday. Good stuff too.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Just got a large order a few days ago from yonky. Great customer service as always and a great product.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150622_152911.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	59.6 KB 
ID:	142779

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150622_153139.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	30.2 KB 
ID:	142780

Boolit Buddy
    My Lord what are you feeding? And the paper cutter is used for a paper weight now! -tj

Quote Originally Posted by tjones View Post
    ..... And the paper cutter is used for a paper weight now! -tj
    Until you get into paper patching....
    Uber7mm

Bambi: The great American hunting story as told through the eyes of the antagonist.

Boolit Mold
    I know this is an old thread, but had a couple of questions.

1. Coilandfoil do not seem to have a web site now. Anyone know what happened to them? Where to get material?

2. Freechex.net does not seem to be making anything right now. Is Patmartian the only game in town now for making your own Gas Checks?

Thanks,

Chuck

Boolit Master

Chuckm, I actually joined this site because a web search on gas checks lead me to gas CheckMakers (Pat) here. Pat and I actually became friends. Anyway, he is still around, although I think he got banned for one reason or another but is still around. His tools are top shelf, his service has been stymied by circumstance, largely the Power Company in N CA would randomly shut the power off 'due to high winds' which killed his CNC machines. He is back up and running, his power off-grid proofed (again) and he seems to be back at it. PatMarlins got a lot of bad reports, he is actually not a bad guy, and his tools are well made. Truth be known, I have a number of plain base and regular CheckMakers purchased along the way.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!