Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionRepackboxInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersRotoMetals2
Load Data Reloading Everything

Thread: OK - I'm willing to try the Kool-Aid. (up side down sizing )

Boolit Buddy

Cool OK - I'm willing to try the Kool-Aid. (up side down sizing )

My 50+ year old Star and all its dies were set to size base first. Every punch was made to a specific mold profile which is way it came with 6 dies and punches in 357/.358

Same goes for the .430 and .452 dies.

Not sure if the original owner ever did plain wad cutters but I do not have any punches that are flat - all have generous nose profiles and the punches are about -.0015" under the die size and that OD is ground not turned.

So - could someone spare me some head scratching and give me the dimensions of what passes for a standard 9mm flat punch. Looking for length of thread and length and size of reduced dia. area. I will also give this a try with 45 230gr RN.

Boolit Master

Gab: Do not have the Star nor ever used one, but Eric at Hollow Point Molds has always custom made punches for me. All that is required is you contact him and he will tell you to send a few boolits along with your order and he will custom make you the flat 9mm punch you desire. He usually send me 2-3 and charges around $25 for his excellent services. With him, you can't go wrong.
    Steve/s-3
    Gun Control means hitting what you aim at!

Certified NRA Pistol Instructor
    Life Member of the NRA
    Life Member of the Disabled American Veterans Association

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ProfGAB101 View Post
    My 50+ year old Star and all its dies were set to size base first. Every punch was made to a specific mold profile which is way it came with 6 dies and punches in 357/.358

Same goes for the .430 and .452 dies.

Not sure if the original owner ever did plain wad cutters but I do not have any punches that are flat - all have generous nose profiles and the punches are about -.0015" under the die size and that OD is ground not turned.

So - could someone spare me some head scratching and give me the dimensions of what passes for a standard 9mm flat punch. Looking for length of thread and length and size of reduced dia. area. I will also give this a try with 45 230gr RN.
    It's several thousandths under the diameter you're looking to size to.

So if you're sizing to, say, .357, you'd be looking for a flat punch of .353, maybe less. The issue is in making sure the punch is centered.

I have some Lathesmith made for me. If I get home early today I'll mic a couple and post.

Boolit Buddy
    To clarify - I'm looking for the Length of threads, and the length of the punch. Diameters I can duplicate from the existing punches. I'm about ready to just make a extra ++ long punch and shortening it .05" each try until it works. My new lathe does not do a 27 pitch so I will either use the older machine or a die. ( I do have the correct die. )

Moderator Emeritus

I have some older star made nose punches (from 1980s) and some current Lathesmith made flat punches...they are the same length, threads are same length.

If you were to fill the nose cavity of you punches with epoxy and file flat, you should have what you are looking to make.
    Good Luck
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Black Powder 100%

Livingston, La. 20 miles east of Baton Rouge, La.
    If you don't want to change any of your current TP's by filling the nose with epoxy, just use a hot glue gun. The glue will work for a very long time and may be removed when needed. Later David
    Shooter of the "HOLY BLACK" SASS 81802 AKA FAIRSHAKE; NRA ; BOLD; WARTHOG;Deadwood Marshal;Bayou Bounty Hunter; So That his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat; 44 WCF filled to the top, 210 gr. bullet