WidenersInline FabricationRepackboxMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can't find any workers these days!

Boolit Buddy

can't find any workers these days!

i posted a thread like this last year, but managed to finish the year with what i had.

now, this year i have several houses to frame and only one guy to help. surely there is someone with a college age or there about son or daughter that wants to work hard, make good money and live in a great place. long term or maybe just for the summer.
    i have 5 homes to build between now and the end of the year, not including the one i am framing right now! some are in aspen and some are down near glenwood springs or carbondale.

i wear my bags and work with my crew, i get more done than the rest of the crew normally. i need a couple of good hard working people, people who take pride in their work and want to get some stuff done!

this is a great place to spend a summer, and learn a trade for a younger person, or a great place to live for someone who already knows the trade. i run class iv whitewater regularly, the hunting is great, the music festivals and such are common, and the climate is great.

anyone know someone who wants to work hard, play hard and make some good money?

I know a kid that would be interested, has some experience too, smart hard working, can think. Doesn't mind working in winter. Needs to finish out his probation first though. Lot's of kids seem to stuck in the system lately...
    μολὼν λαβέ

I resent it when other people try to inflict their ideas of betterness on me. I don’t think they know. And I can’t see any authority on the horizon that’s got any answers that seem worthwhile. FZ

Boolit Buddy

We have a decent number of kids here who are willing to work when work is availed to them. We run a landscaping company and work varies from simply digging holes to building elaborate patios and walls. The younger guys seem to enjoy the variation offered in this line of work. Winchester I would have jumped at the chance to learn framing back when I didn't know anything about anything, I hope you find the help your needing.

Love Life
    What skill level is required? Do they need to provide their own tools?

If you don't mind me asking, what does a framer make on the hour these days? It always seemed to me that framing was pretty involved task process, requiring a fair amount of skill to do well.

Banned

I did some framing back in the 70s in So Cal and it was generally all white and the money was good. Now it is generally all illegals and the $$$ is not good. Pay is probably similar to what it was 40 years ago. In the 70s a guy could work as a framer, pay for his own house, take care of his family, and have a boat or motorcycles to play with. Now, not so much. If I were younger I would beg you for such an opportunity. I would rather learn how to frame and do construction as opposed to getting an undergrad social science degree that can cost $200k and get you no where.
    Last edited by jmort; 05-05-2015 at 09:31 AM.

have too many years experience with no/bad help .... we're in the same boat , good help is hard to come by in this trade and if we find a young one willing to learn seems they learn a little bit think they know it all and move to what they think is greener pastures [sigh]
    worse , seems all the newer saddles ( bags) dont last about year anymore, ballistic nylon may be great for gun holsters and cases but ....
    oddly enough in years past here most were medium to small , now it seems most are large customs with all the bells and whistles
    got a spot for my dog as well ? lolz
    Je suis Charlie

" To sit in judgment of those things which you perceive to be wrong or imperfect is to be one more person who is part of judgment, evil or imperfection."
    Wayne Dyer
    if it was easy would it be as worthy ? or as long of lasting impression ? the hardest of lessons are the best of teachers [shrugz]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLzFhOslZPM

Banned

I'm assuming you are talking about the work being in Colorado?
    which just happens to be where I am this week. [not framing houses]

Boolit Master
    What are you paying per hour and are medical benefits included? I know two people who are looking and I live in the Springs.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    I know what you are talking about
    seems as though the work in the trades in general for the younger people
    is not as favorable as it once was
    I work as a journeyman mason and I do not see the younger folks wanting to get in
    sure its hard work but the pay is generally decent and you know you have done something at the end of the day
    might be the time of computers and the web has opened up a different perspective
    for the younger people,don't know for sure but just my guess
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

In Remembrance
    Quote Originally Posted by winchester85 View Post
    anyone know someone who wants to work hard, play hard and make some good money?
    Much better chance of an effective reply IF your location was visible.
    Retired...TWICE. Now just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

The problem seems to be having a nail in one hand and hammer in the other leaves no hand free for texting. What we see around here is that the young guys that are willing to do that kind of work head straight for the bar at quitting time and stay till closing which results in them not showing for work the next day or showing up late and hung over.....

Boolit Master
    ?Hablas espanol?

Dave
    Psalm 18: 28-49
    Psalm 144: 1-8

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by montana_charlie View Post
    Much better chance of an effective reply IF your location was visible.
    Looks like Aspen, Carbondale, and Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
    Some times it's the pot,
    Some times it's the pan,
    It might even be the skillet,
    But, most of the time, it's the cook.

Boolit Grand Master

I always found plenty willing to sign on, they just weren't willing to swing the hammer, without I held the nail. At some point it was expected they do more than look pretty.

Boolit Master

In the late 1970s we had a large number of migrants from the rest of Canada come to Alberta. Some were hard workers. Some wanted a cash advance and a few days off before they started the job. No one ever gave them benefit of doubt - They were told to come back when they were ready to work and when payday was.
    Go now and pour yourself a hot one...

Boolit Buddy
    a framer here starts at about $16/ hour, that is someone with very little experience and very few tools. i do not hire many like that because it takes too much of my time to teach them, and then after they learn a little they quit and go somewhere else. a GOOD framer here makes $30 to $40 per hour as a sub. they should (but rarely do) supply all their own tools.
    I have 3 houses to do in Aspen this year, and two more down valley near Carbondale. I have a reputation for good quality AND fast pace. Many guys that i hire, with the lure of big money, are no where near qualified. I get guys wanting to "run" my job all the time, they ask for $35 to start, but when they get here, they do not know how to do the job, and or are very slow, or do poor quality work, or all of the above.
    If i could find a person that can do high quality work, make very few mistakes, keep the crew moving, and himself get lots of physical work done, i could pay $50 per hour and be tickled.

Right now i need to find a guy or two with some experience, at least a couple of years. those people need to be able to take direction, even if they know how to frame some where else in the world, what we build here is very high end. i can teach someone, but they have to hustle and get stuff done. most young guys these days want top dollar, but will not work until they are tired!

the house i am framing right now is 3100sqft, it would sell for somewhere between $3.25 to $3.75 million!
    I have a 10,000sqft house to do starting next March.

Moderator Emeritus

Wish I was younger and not crippled up! Not a professional but helped strip and remodel over 2 dozen houses growing up, and helped build 3 brand new ones. We went from a bare foundation to roof on and shingled and windows installed in 2 weeks on dad's last house with a pro carpenter, dad after he got off work, myself, 2 brothers, and 2 sisters. 16 hour days, we crashed on site in whatever part of the house we could hang a tarp over and mom ran out food, beer, more beer to keep us going. Shower was jump in the lake and soap up, duck under to rinse. 3 bedroom split level with a basement walkout... I was never afraid of hard work!

One of my nieces was out last year for a week visit. She knew we would be putting up knotty pine upstairs for 3 days. She had a total fit when she got dirty! Not like I don't have a shower sheesh get back to work lol. Kids these days all want desk jobs and don't want to get sweaty or dirty.

Boolit Buddy
    I went through college to get my degree in construction management and took a paid internship a few summers before graduation.

That summer, and the next, I worked as a surveyor, ditch digger, form setter, framer, finish carpenter...you name it. The very large company I worked for wanted all the new kids coming out of college to know what hard, manual labor was before they earned good money and ran jobs. We had two career paths, and I chose the field at the time....boy did I learn a lot!

Must not have stuck though. I'm heading back to school to become a PA in another week.

15 years ago, I'd have jumped at this opportunity.

Banned

I wish i was not messed up also. I was a framer in my early 20's. Built over 20 houses. Would have kept doing it except for all the illegals showed up and cut everyone's pay in half if you wanted to keep working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast