RepackboxLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky Load Data

Thread: soaked pistol barrel for lead, still a lil'

Banned

Question soaked pistol barrel for lead, still a lil'

The 45acp barrel soaked w/hoppes 9 with cork in the end. Did good but some remnants of lead out at last inch or so of barrel. Any tips on getting the thin fine rest of it out? Or with the gas checks l started using now help to clean barrel?

gunoil, I've always used copper Chore Boy scouring pads, wet (Hoppes #9, WD-40, Ed's Red) or dry cut up and wrapped around a bore brush to remove lead deposits. Make sure the Chore Boys are copper, not copper plated steel.

Boolit Bub
    Recently found some all copper pads at Home Depot but was Internet-only sale. They delivered them free to my local HD.

Boolit Master

Why not use the tool designed for this?
    The Lewis Lead Remover

http://www.brownells.com/gun-cleanin...prod21587.aspx

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7IA6I3cM4Q
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master

+1 on what Maven said. Works great. I use it dry at the range at the end of my shooting session. Works real fast and easy.

Vendor Sponsor

Couple of strands of Chore Boy twisted around a cleaning brush beat a Lewis Lead Remover hands down. The chore boy snags on the lead and pull it out in strips, the screen in the LLR skips right over it and abrades it down slowly with a LOT of work.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Banned

I'll try to find some chore-boy copper.

one guys sent this:

pistol barrel cleaning

barrel cleaning: Iosso Products Triple Action Oil Solution and paste Bore Cleaner. They also make a very tight fitting nylon brush for use with their Bore Cleaner.

1. Wet the bore with one patch of the Oil Solution.
    2. 10-12 full strokes with brush coated with Bore Cleaner paste.
    3. Follow with two patches with Oil Solution followed by two dry patches.

Repeat as many times as required to remove all deposits. ( you won't believe the crud that keeps coming out!)

Finish with a couple patches soaked with Butch's Bore Shine and a couple to dry the bore.

Run one patch coated with liquid graphite through the bore and you're done.

mike

Boolit Master
    LBT suggests this, and it really does work. If you get leading, try a properly fitting boolit, (might be the trouble in the first place), and using a good lube, (another possibility), shoot it a little slower. Lead sticks to lead, and it will self clean quickly. Unless you are shooting a crazy fast load, which is unlikely in a .45 ACP, something is amiss. I ran close to 8,000 rounds without touching the bore through my 1911, with it's less than perfect bore, and finally got enough crud in the chamber I had to brush that out. My loads run about 850 fps. with a 230. I can shoot 8 Bhn boolits with no leading, although most are ACWW's.

Any more specifics on the gun? What is the load? You should be able to get it running clean without GC's in a .45.

Boolit Grand Master

.45 ACP shouldn't lead. Need better lube or larger diam, although
    there are some out there with rasp-like interior finish that will
    lead with anything.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Do check and find the problem with you gun,lube or the boolit.I went thru the same a few times now.If a brownels double tuff brush will not take it out neither will copper cleaning pads.I have a lewis lead remover and dont regret getting it.I now have the problems soved on all but one gun so not much need for lead removeing.but there is allways the next new to me piece.

as is said here alot fit is king

Good luck

Boolit Buddy
    I would soak overnight with Kroil if it is really badly leaded. Kroil loosens extremely well. Then brush.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gunoil View Post
    The 45acp barrel soaked w/hoppes 9 with cork in the end. Did good but some remnants of lead out at last inch or so of barrel. Any tips on getting the thin fine rest of it out? Or with the gas checks l started using now help to clean barrel?
    I use a brush wrapped with bronze wool to clean between shots. It does a wonderful job keeping the fouling knocked back. Ace Hardware carries it.

Boolit Buddy

If you can't find Chore-Boy, Scotts also makes a similar product and it works the same as Chore-Boy. Look in Wal-Mart.

Boolit Master

1+ on bronze wool, most marine stores carry them in several grades. One pad goes a long way! Wrap around a bronze brush and scrub back and forth, get the lead out fast. Tim

Boolit Bub
    +1 Lewis lead remover for "bad" leading. Chor boy on a brush works too.
    I've yet to find a solution that does not involve some amount of "elbow grease". A bronze brush one size larger after a couple minutes soaking with M-Pro 7 is my newest method.
    I have used kroil and it is a excellent penetrant. However, it is a bit hard on the nose and possibly brain cells (I like the smell actually... As long as it's in my garage and not my living room!).
    JB bore cleaning compound helped get some final remnants out on a couple of barrels. I think it helps condition the bore a bit too if the bore is a little rough (as many new bores are).

Lots of solutions. All I've found involve a little brushing... Except the JB paste which is patching.

Boolit Buddy
    Many moons ago when we mortals were trusted with such things a gunsmith I knew used to keep mercury on hand for just such situations. He would plug the barrel and pour the mercury in. After letting set for a few minutes he's pour the mercury out and the lead would be gone.

My 1911 bore looked a bit rough when new. After break in i switched to lead, i was worried about the buildup and used the chore boy trick after maybe 30 rnds. Since then I've gone 600 rnds between chore boys, and the barrel didn't look much worse then at 50. My barrel comes clean with about 10 strokes with the chore boy. It works.

Boolit Master
    Fastest easiest way I have found that works is to get a 3oz bottle and fill it with 1 part white vinegar and 1 part hydrogen peroxide. Shake it up and then plug the barrel and fill it up. Let it sit for a few minutes and watch the lead bubble up. Dump out the mixture and run a few patches to remove the lead and then rinse with water. Works like a charm. I have done this to all my 45 Colts whether stainless steel or blued. I also tried it on one of my Enfield rifles with no harm to it either.
    It's a weak acid called peracetic acid. It's used as a disinfectant in restaurants to clean stainless steel tables. Don't store the mixture long and wear gloves when handling it. It won't eat through skin or anything but it might irritate your skin.

Boolit Buddy
    Be careful of the black residue; it is lead acetate, very nasty and easily absorbed.

wp
    NRA Life Member, NRA Instructor in Pistol, Advanced Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, PP In/Outside the Home, Metallic and Shotshell Reloading, Chief RSO

Boolit Master
    Too bad they don't still make the Outers foul out system. Mine still works and I have a quart of chemical for it. It takes out all the lead but you have to let it do the work for an hour or so. Fantastic machine. Bores are mirror shiny and a white patch really shows the cleanliness. I hope some company like Frankford Arsenal picks up and starts making something similar.