Load DataWidenersRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackboxLee Precision
Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pleasant Grove home invasion fatal for male intruder

Pleasant Grove home invasion fatal for male intruder

What the Hell. Utah is going to hell in a hand basket.
    First Orem and now Pleasant Grove.
    Happy Valley will never be the same.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=34497236&nid...&s_cid=queue-7
    PLEASANT GROVE — A homeowner shot and killed a man trying to break into his house Sunday morning, police said.
    Officers responded to a report of a home invasion in the area of 1700 West and 60 South at 5:42 a.m. where they found Christian Chichia, 24, had been shot, according to Pleasant Grove police Lt. Britt Smith. He died after being taken to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center.
    A preliminary investigation shows Chichia began pounding on the front door of the house, awakening and alarming the homeowners, Britt said. After he couldn't get in the front door, he climbed to a second-story balcony and tried to get in a door.
    Britt said the homeowner armed himself and went to the balcony door. He unlocked the door to talk to the man.
    "Once the door was unlocked Chichia attempted to force his way into the residence, and was shot by the homeowner," he said.
    Police did not release the name of the homeowner and the incident remains under investigation.
    Last edited by Uncle Jimbo; 05-03-2015 at 09:20 PM. Reason: World's worst speller.

Banned

Utah is about thisclose to voting democrat.
    I seen all this coming and bailed years ago.
    glad I did too I couldn't stand all the Californians trying to make the place just like home.

I'm so used to everyone here (Utah) always trying to be "real people" - curry acceptance that is (they've got a persecution complex ya know), that I won't even start to even think about arguing with you. This even though it seems to be a national passtime to inflate one's ownself even to the point of bragging.
    Last edited by leftiye; 05-05-2015 at 05:58 AM.
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Grand Master

Why would he unlock the door after this guy is already showing signs of aggression? Should have called police and left door/balcony locked. He did what he had to do to protect his family but not in the most logical way. I know, easy to Monday quarterback, but this may be a sticking point for him.

Boolit Master

I am glad he took him out of the gene pool and look at the money he saved the state.
    Are my kids/grandkids more important than "o"'s kids, to me they are,darn tooting they are!!! They deserve the same armed protection afforded "o"'s kids.
    I have been hoodwinked but not by"o"
    In God we trust,in "o" never trust
    Support those that support the Constitution and the 2nd Amendant

Boolit Master and Dean of Balls

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jimbo View Post
    Happy Valley will never be the same.
    Oh I don't know. It seems like they have a community improvement plan in place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Theodore Roosevelt
    No man is above the law and no man is below it: nor do we ask any man's permission when we ask him to obey it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    Why would he unlock the door after this guy is already showing signs of aggression? Should have called police and left door/balcony locked. He did what he had to do to protect his family but not in the most logical way. I know, easy to Monday quarterback, but this may be a sticking point for him.
    The deceased being armed would be an odd thing to omit mentioning, if he was. On balance I think forcing his way into an opened balcony door, not visibly but perhaps actually armed, may well be legal justification for shooting him. But it would have been a bit surer if he had let him force the door first, or start shooting at an occupier invisible in the darkness inside.

We haven't heard a thing about motive, but it sounds very much like they were previous interpersonal dealings, aggravated by alcohol or other chemicals. It was, after all, the small hours of Sunday morning, and an unarmed home invasion burglary of a stranger, beginning by pounding on his door, seems an excessively idiosyncratic thing to do. The householder could have been an abortion doctor, his wife's lover, his own ex-lover, someone who hadn't paid him for work, a manager who had sacked him or the ATF official investigating his case. A wounded invader, or the deceased's relatives, might well argue that he was invited in to stop waking up even more neighbors.

None of these things are really excuses. They may not even mean that the householder didn't incur, perhaps foolishly, the degree of fear which justifies shooting. But there is every chance that he could have got out of doing so. I can see no very firm evidence that anyone being a Democrat came into it.

Boolit Bub

Pleasant Grove home invasion fatal for male intruder

A better report answers some questions--
    A Pleasant Grove man shot and killed a man who allegedly was trying to break into his home Sunday.

Police identified the deceased as Christian Chichia, 24, who lived in the same neighborhood as the homeowner. Investigators have not been able to determine what Chichia's intentions or motive were, said Pleasant Grove Police Lt. Britt Smith.

About 5:40 a.m. Sunday, Chichia was pounding on the front door of the house, near 1700 W. 60 South, which woke up the homeowner and his wife, according to the preliminary investigation, Smith said. The homeowner retrieved a handgun and went to the front door, only to find that Chichia had moved up to his second-story balcony.

The homeowner went to the balcony door and cracked it open to find out what Chichia wanted and Chichia allegedly tried to force his way into the home, Smith said.

The homeowner fired once, striking Chichia in the chest. He was taken to Utah Valley Regional Medical Center, where he later died.

The case will be screened by the Utah County Attorney's Office to determine whether criminal charges should be filed, Smith said.

Chichia had been living in the neighborhood only a short time, and police do not believe he and the homeowner knew each other, Smith added.

BTW, Pleasant Grove is a helluva town:
    A methamphetamine-addicted Utah mother pleaded guilty Thursday to murdering six of her newborn babies over a decade and storing their remains in the garage.
    Last edited by blixen01; 05-04-2015 at 09:42 AM.

Boolit Master

Does Utah have the castle doctrine? If so, it's a slam dunk, he was on his property without permission, while being aggressive towards the occupants. He blasted the bastage, end of story.

Thanks to our wonderful governor, Wisconsin now has the castle doctrine. In those circumstances there would be no question about "charges" for the homeowner.
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
    You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
    You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion."

“At the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat”--Theodore Roosevelt

Vendor Sponsor

I have nothing but praise for the "castle doctrine" as it allows one the fullest amount of wherewithal to apply one's freedom to protect one's family and property.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    If no traceable connection with the deceased can be made, it is a big point in his favor, as no provocation or excuse for harassment could be proven. But hammering on the front door makes the attempted breakin story a bit thin, unless he was hammering with the wrong kind of hammer.

A lot of what has been said, although very likely true, depends on the householder's word. If the castle theory didn't require some element of proof that a man wasn't invited to a surprise farewell party, wouldn't quite a few people be doing it?

It would be a good thing if the noise attracted witnesses to confirm that his entry was, although not quite a breakin, forcible. Something in his bloodstream that erodes judgement would be good too, as this corpse was hardly displaying a competent burglar's judgement.

In Remembrance
    No mention of the intruder being a thug in the article. there is no way to know what his thoughts were, but it could be he was drunk or high and thought he was trying to get in his own house. It wouldn't be the first time.
    It just doesn't sound like a normal home invasion, not saying the home owner is not justified, but I wouldn't be suprized to find out either his wife or him knew him, or had some sort of dealings with him.

Boolit Grand Master

Occasionally a drunk gets the wrong house and gets angry that "his wife won't let him in",
    and gets crazier and crazier, trying to kick in "his door" and break into "his house". When it
    is NOT his house, that is really serious.

If the happens, the poor home owner has no way of knowing what the heck is going on and
    at some point, shooting becomes a viable response.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    I have collected old pocket watches, and it is true what Sherlock Holmes said, that you can recognize a reformed drunkard because the keyhole is still surrounded by tiny scratches. Keyupad entry systems cover up for a lot.

But that is one of endless possible scenarios, and of course the inebriate finding a man in an upstairs room could well be dangerous... if he is dangerous. But I still think the householder would be on a lot safer ground if he had witnesses to threats or some kind of weapon or entry tool was found on the corpse.

In Remembrance
    Most times, a guy doesn't need witnesses in his own home, even if it was a drunk thinking it was his own home.
    Drunk or not, telling them to leave is sufficient in a lot of states.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    2 things:

1. This needs to go to the Pit

2. The *non* American(s) commenting in this thread obviously just don't get it and never will. Which is too bad, because it's pretty simple really. Lays hands on me or trespass into my home and you should expect bodily harm, up to, and possibly including, your life.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master
    The pit! Well is it named. I don't see any reason for this thread to be there, unless someone wants to send it there. I, for example, value your opinion every bit as much as you value mine. But when it comes to shootings in the home, having a tiny fraction of the number of shootings in the home does not sound entirely irrelevant.

It could be (I'm guessing) a sliding scale. Fewer trespassers shot, more homeowners stabbed to death?
    We need somebody/something to keep the government (cops and bureaucrats too) HONEST (by non government oversight).

Every "freedom" (latitude) given to government is a loophole in the rule of law. Every loophole in the rule of law is another hole in our freedom. When they even obey the law that is. Too often government seems to feel itself above the law.

We forgot to take out the trash in 2012, but 2016 was a charm! YESSS!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by leftiye View Post
    It could be (I'm guessing) a sliding scale. Fewer trespassers shot, more homeowners stabbed to death?
    So you are. There may be the occasional burglary gone wrong, when they mistakenly thought the house unoccupied. Criminals and hoodlums may pay one another domiciliary visits. Somewhere about 1970 a fellow-student of mine was a witness in a trial, when muggers to whom he gave his money killed the next man for refusing. Otherwise I've never even met anyone who witnessed (or nearly witnessed) armed violence. Even bank robberies have fallen off greatly, due to architectural and procedural security.

There is very little difficulty for criminals to obtain guns, since customs barriers to the former East Germany and Baltic Republics have been dismantled, but they seem confined strictly to gang feuds. This person seems to have got away with it for a while too:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...muggling-trial

I dare say more ordinary people die from accidentally ingesting live fish, than from premeditated violent attacks in their homes. The main influence on criminal use of guns, as everywhere else, is how much criminals want to use guns.

Quote Originally Posted by starmac View Post
    No mention of the intruder being a thug in the article. there is no way to know what his thoughts were, but it could be he was drunk or high and thought he was trying to get in his own house. It wouldn't be the first time.
    It just doesn't sound like a normal home invasion, not saying the home owner is not justified, but I wouldn't be suprized to find out either his wife or him knew him, or had some sort of dealings with him.
    well looks like he liked to speed and party...
    http://arrestlistings.com/utah/utah-...arijuana-spice
    Full Name: Christian Hiram Chichia

Charge date: 03/27/2015

Address: S Willow Circle Loop

City: Lehi

State: Utah

Zip Code: 84043

Date of Birth: 11/30/1990

Race:

Charging County: Utah County, Utah

Case Number:

Charge: Speeding 95 In A 90 Class C Misdemeanor

Statute: 41-6A-601

Type: M

Charge: Use Or Possession Of Drug

Statute: 58-37A-5(1)

Charge: Poss <1 Oz Marijuana, Spice,

Statute: 58-37-8(2)(D)

Charge: Driving Under The Influence Of

Statute: 41-6A-502

je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast