Load DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
WidenersInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 44 magnum mousefart load

Boolit Buddy

44 magnum mousefart load

looking for a quiet mousefart load for my 44 magnum 14inch barrel break action
    1-20 twist

260grain boolit (thank you steve)
    I just got some unique and Bullseye

thank you

I just tried 8 grains of unique--its LOUD but hit dead nuts to where i was aiming,
    want a quiet load,at a 25 yrs target
    Last edited by 49FMarlin; 05-02-2015 at 03:24 PM.

Boolit Buddy

trailboss loads. 70% rule

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by thegatman View Post
    trailboss loads. 70% rule
    IDO NOT HAVE trial boss

Ihave
    unique and Bulleye

if i had trail boss i wouldn't be so dang frustrated but its unobtainable right now for me,
    Last edited by 49FMarlin; 05-02-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Moderator Emeritus

.433 round ball. Lee makes one (or did?) Small charge of powder. Lube ball in LLA or similar and put in sized and expanded case over powder & crimp very lightly so the ball is held gently, but firmly enough to keep the assembly from coming apart when you don't want it to. Adjust powder charge to your liking and according to gun's performance on target. Won't likely take long to come up with a workable load.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Not quiet, but milder use 5 grains of Bullseye with your 260-grain bullet. I would not reduce below this.

Chronograph data, Remington NFP cases with 2-1/2 primers, Alliant Bullseye, Accurate 43-230G bullet seated in front crimp groove at 1.59" OAL. Side by side tests on same day.

5-1/2" Ruger Vaquero 720 fps, 37 Sd, 97ES
    7-1/2" Ruger Vaquero 797 fps, 16 Sd, 37ES (Likes LONGER revolver barrel)
    20" Marlin 1894S 917 fps, 32Sd, 87ES
    Last edited by Outpost75; 05-05-2015 at 08:10 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    .433 round ball. Lee makes one (or did?) Small charge of powder. Lube ball in LLA or similar and put in sized and expanded case over powder & crimp very lightly so the ball is held gently, but firmly enough to keep the assembly from coming apart when you don't want it to. Adjust powder charge to your liking and according to gun's performance on target. Won't likely take long to come up with a workable load.
    +1 - start by visting your local black powder supply/LGS - .433 is sold in 100 count box so you can try 'em
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

By all means, work with the Bullseye and save the Unique for what it's best at.

MF loads have a bad rep for squibs that leave a bullet in the barrel. The ballistics people have suggested that squibs and "secondary explosions" happen with slower powders, and don't with fast ones. Unique in your combination could be considered slow. Why risk it. Bullseye in any combination is fast.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Litl Red 3991 View Post
    By all means, work with the Bullseye and save the Unique for what it's best at.

MF loads have a bad rep for squibs that leave a bullet in the barrel. The ballistics people have suggested that squibs and "secondary explosions" happen with slower powders, and don't with fast ones. Unique in your combination could be considered slow. Why risk it. Bullseye in any combination is fast.
    a question

why is unique considered too slow a powder for downloading in my combination ?
    im not understanding this,

I have been told that downloading with this 14inch break action barrel is safe

with unique,and bullseye
    as long as i look and see if theres a stuck boolit before i fire the next round,

I have been told I can safely go down to a stuck boolit with both unique and bullseye
    and then load up from there

to find my mousefart, with the different boolits to find the one i like best,

Unique will take more powder to do the same action as Bullseye powder. And as it's slower burning the pressure curve will be higher when the projectile exists the barrel with a Unique load.

To be quiet you want the least amount of powder burned to achieve the velocity you want with the fastest burning powder so that the residual pressure will be at it's lowest point when the barrel uncorks.
    je suis charlie

It is better to live one day as a LION than a dozen days as a Sheep.

Thomas Jefferson Quotations:
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Artful View Post
    Unique will take more powder to do the same action as Bullseye powder. And as it's slower burning the pressure curve will be higher when the projectile exists the barrel with a Unique load.

To be quiet you want the least amount of powder burned to achieve the velocity you want with the fastest burning powder so that the residual pressure will be at it's lowest point when the barrel uncorks.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH
    now I'm understanding and learning

Boolit Buddy
    If you do decide on some .433 RB loads here are some I picked up a while back but haven't tried yet.
    Case preparation was suggested to chamfer and debur to be very sharp, load powder and then paper punch a cardboard wad between case and die, then seat ball letting the case shave it a little, then crimp.
    44spl
    (1) .433 RB with 2.3gr Bullseye or 3.0gr of Unique

44mag
    (1) .433RB with 2.9gr Bullseye or 3.6gr of Unique
    Benny

Boolit Grand Master

Not meant to be snarky, but after all it is a .44 Magnum. It's gonna be pretty loud with any load with a 260 gr. bullet (ya gotta have enough powder to push that bullet outta the barrel!). I've used 3.5 gr. of W 231 (I know, you don't have any) under a 123 gr. ball. Aloxed the ball, seated to where the diameter was just below the case mouth and a very light roll crimp. Shot 2" groups from my Ruger SBH at 20 yards. That was quieter than a factory round but louder than a .22 LR....
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned

I do not understand why you bought a .44 mag at all. Why did you not buy a cork shooter? Do you know about all the plastic ball shooters? z

Moderator Emeritus

That's a good question, 44man, and the answer is that most of us are urbanized critters these days, and some like to shoot quieter loads. Not the same, of course, but at least we get to actually SHOOT something, and keep the neighbors from calling the law on us. It's a dang nuissance, but it's just the way it is these days for many of us. I live 5 mi. outside a small college town, and I have to be careful not to get the neighbors TOO upset. It's mostly live and let live here, but that can be pushed TOO far if we're not careful. I quit shooting in my back yard when a neighbor and valued friend's wife developed "nerve problems." She was a teacher and was sued by a parent alleging abuse of her child. It came out at trial (thank God she didn't "settle!!!") that this "parent" had made a right fair living suing folks, and my friend's wife had an impeccable reputation for honesty, fair play, and real love for her students. Brain chemistry is a funny thing, and we don't understand it very well at all, and the long, drawn out process of the trial, and some of the things that happened during that time that shouldn't have ever occurred, she came out at the end very "nervous," so I just didn't have the heart to disturb her or cause her any anguish whatever with my shooting, so I found another place. I do think I could have gotten away with those quiet little loads, even though it's not the same in all respects, but I just didn't have the heart to even risk that. She was a truly good woman, and my neighbor was a truly good man. They've passed on now, and I miss them very much. Their grandkids now live in the house. This is a pretty quiet place for a semi-urban area, but I'm planning on building a really good backstop and bench in my yard very soon, and I think I can get away with it as long as I don't keep up a constant barage. It's good to live in a place where I can do that, but better to be able to live on or near a farm where one can shoot to one's heart's contentment.

Special loads like this have a place, but only as a stop-gap proposition. They don't and can't pretend to fulfill all the things full loads can. Where possible, though, I very much agree with you that shooting full loads is by far the best way to "keep our hand in," learn, or just practice.

Just in case it's not been made clear. Major reason to use a round ball in low pressure rounds. Is to better insure the bullet exits the barrel. RB having a very low contact area with the bore pops out much easier. RB also doesn't build up much pressure for powder ignition so the fast powders would be best. However Unique ,I'm sure, would work. If the ball isn't the proper size to load and chamber. You can push them through your boolit size die.
    “AMERICA WILL NEVER BE DESTROYED FROM THE OUTSIDE. IF WE FALTER AND LOSE OUR FREEDOMS, IT WILL BE BECAUSE WE DESTROYED OURSELVES.” President Abraham Lincoln

Pellet Guns work really well for in town shooting.

I have a 190 gr SWC bullet mould from Magma which will work for really light loads. 3-4 gr of Bullseye would push that boolit thru a 14" bbl.

I pretty much just load 429421's with 6gr of W231 for my generic .44 Spec/Mag load. Bullseye would work for that load as well,,, it's just not as clean.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tsubaki View Post
    If you do decide on some .433 RB loads here are some I picked up a while back but haven't tried yet.
    Case preparation was suggested to chamfer and debur to be very sharp, load powder and then paper punch a cardboard wad between case and die, then seat ball letting the case shave it a little, then crimp.
    44spl
    (1) .433 RB with 2.3gr Bullseye or 3.0gr of Unique

44mag
    (1) .433RB with 2.9gr Bullseye or 3.6gr of Unique
    thank you
    I'm going to try this,

The "Mainepowderhouse" is just up the street from me I'm shur he will have round balls

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    That's a good question, 44man, and the answer is that most of us are urbanized critters these days, and some like to shoot quieter loads. Not the same, of course, but at least we get to actually SHOOT something, and keep the neighbors from calling the law on us. It's a dang nuissance, but it's just the way it is these days for many of us. I live 5 mi. outside a small college town, and I have to be careful not to get the neighbors TOO upset. It's mostly live and let live here, but that can be pushed TOO far if we're not careful. I quit shooting in my back yard when a neighbor and valued friend's wife developed "nerve problems." She was a teacher and was sued by a parent alleging abuse of her child. It came out at trial (thank God she didn't "settle!!!") that this "parent" had made a right fair living suing folks, and my friend's wife had an impeccable reputation for honesty, fair play, and real love for her students. Brain chemistry is a funny thing, and we don't understand it very well at all, and the long, drawn out process of the trial, and some of the things that happened during that time that shouldn't have ever occurred, she came out at the end very "nervous," so I just didn't have the heart to disturb her or cause her any anguish whatever with my shooting, so I found another place. I do think I could have gotten away with those quiet little loads, even though it's not the same in all respects, but I just didn't have the heart to even risk that. She was a truly good woman, and my neighbor was a truly good man. They've passed on now, and I miss them very much. Their grandkids now live in the house. This is a pretty quiet place for a semi-urban area, but I'm planning on building a really good backstop and bench in my yard very soon, and I think I can get away with it as long as I don't keep up a constant barage. It's good to live in a place where I can do that, but better to be able to live on or near a farm where one can shoot to one's heart's contentment.

Special loads like this have a place, but only as a stop-gap proposition. They don't and can't pretend to fulfill all the things full loads can. Where possible, though, I very much agree with you that shooting full loads is by far the best way to "keep our hand in," learn, or just practice.
    Im learning to reload, and cast because its fun,
    im wanting to shoot quieter rounds same as above, i have neighbors were all country folk, but we respect each other,
    and small town values rule here, folks don't mind a little noise, but value the quiet also,
    come hunting seasons, no one ever complains, I've been shooting 5-20 rounds during the week when folks are at work and kids in school
    I could buy a modern BB gun but they never did anything for me, wheres the casting or loading fun?
    hell i could sell it all and buy a NICE crossbow and not make a sound, wouldn't have to worrie about sniffing too much lead, no powder to hunt down
    no brass to shine, no books to read and no reloading group to make friends with, and learn from,
    NO,
    Ill stick to being a big ol PAIN in u guys butts and asking all the crazy questions, about how to take my guns and play with them,

Hopefully you all won't toss me out into the river and p-diddle on my powder
    cheers
    and thank you all
    john

Once upon a time, CB Longs were available. They are an option that really works, if using a 22 is an ok way to get your shooting fix.

CCI markets them. They also market Subsonic, but at a higher price. Oh heck, I forgot...... Well, when and if CCI ever shows up for sale again.

No lie, they are so quiet you can shoot in your backyard while your neighbor reads his Sunday paper on his deck next door and he will be startled when you notice him and go over to apologize for the noise. Which he had not heard at all.... How do I know?

Boolit Master
    "NO,
    Ill stick to being a big ol PAIN in u guys butts and asking all the crazy questions, about how to take my guns and play with them"

Now that sounds like an EXCELLENT idea to me! There's always something new, or at least new to me, to learn. Then again, I was always taught that the day I quit learning, they may as well put me 6 ft under. Or with my luck, get out the dust pan and put what's left or what they can find in a shoebox and put that in the backyard.
    I passed my last psych eval, how bout you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast